FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki what is the update on bahooka's rufus??? the dreaded question continues?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
what is the update on bahooka's rufus??? the dreaded question continues?
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-04-28 4:51 pm   Permalink

Ok ATP thanks for clearing that up.
I did not expect Mr Zhu to let us know anything but did think that other TC folks would
keep us all posted on what they know, updates ect....

And as far as Rumors go if anybody hears something post it, We may come to find it's bogus
or it may come to be fact.
Don't think there is need to get pissed at each other as the fish is in Zhu's hands and we can
only wait really.
And it is his fish and he can do what he wants, just like Donald Sterling and live with the outcome.
When we were young we would say "Spaz down"

Zhu may be waiting to drum this up into a big story when he opens his restaurant.
Does anybody know of a date he is set to open his restaurant?
Or do we need MI6 clearance to know of the opening date?

I think all of us here wants the best for Rufus.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-28 7:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:

[i]On 2014-04-28 16:51, tikiskip wrote:

Does anybody know of a date he is set to open his restaurant?
Or do we need MI6 clearance to know of the opening date?

I think all of us here wants the best for Rufus.

Fez Moai previously stated the new opening date was forecast to be in August.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-28 8:26 pm   Permalink

Thanks to all the folks helping out.

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2014-04-29 00:46 ]

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-28 8:51 pm   Permalink

ATP,
I know you work with computers for a living,
but maybe its time to step away from the computer for a bit.
I knew I would regret clickng on this thread yesterday.
OOOOOOoooooooof!

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-28 8:55 pm   Permalink

Yea so tired.....need sleep, ya big surf hippy

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
THOR's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-03 6:35 pm   Permalink

Man... is the is really the way this all is going to close ? Cus I feel like we really still have no real answers. Closure is something that will be a ways away...at this rate.

View Profile of THOR's Send a personal message to THOR's  Email THOR's Goto the website of THOR's     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-06 6:36 pm   Permalink

The folks at Esotouric.com have posted a video of a visit to the former Bahooka dated yesterday 5/5/14
Also an article asking the same questions we are about Rufus here:

http://esotouric.com/rufus

I believe the video features esotouric.com's Kim Cooper and Richard Schave
are you guys TC members? Thanks for the support & posting the story on your website!

editrix

Posted: 2014-05-06 7:04 pm   Permalink

ATP, thanks for posting the link to the video Richard and I shot yesterday. This forum was very helpful in trying to understand what was going on with Rufus when we happened by and saw that the doors were open and Bahooka space gutted. Of course we are happy to do what we can to get the word out about this confusing and troubling situation.

Since the video went live, Frank Shyong of the L.A. Times has tweeted "I spoke to owner Alan Zhu on the phone about a week ago.... Alan tells me that Rufus is in a pond at his house, and indeed, alive. What evidence is there that Alan is lying/Rufus has..."

I tweeted back asking that he try to see Rufus and confirm he's okay, and pointing out that pond temperatures are not appropriate for a tropical tank fish. No response to that, as yet. I hope he'll follow up with Alan Zhu, since he is the only reporter who has been able to communicate with him. (Parenthetically, over in the Tiki Oasis Facebook group, Lynn Garrett from Hidden L.A. is expressing her unhappiness with his coverage, and blaming it for the breakdown in communication surrounding the proposed Damon's transfer. Complicated situation all around...)

View Profile of editrix Send a personal message to editrix  Email editrix Goto the website of editrix     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-05-06 7:09 pm   Permalink

None of these stories jibe. I get the distinct impression the Mr. Zhu is full of the proverbial poop.

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-06 7:19 pm   Permalink

Many Thanks to you! for getting the message out & taking the time to add your own thoughts.

It was our member "SoCal Savage" who contacted Frank Shyong which precipitated the call to Alan Zhu
that he is referring to, but Frank did not seem to want to follow up the story any further after that phone call
no proof or photo?

If what you heard is true & Rufus is in a pond at "Zhu's" house, I just don't see how Rufus can survive that?
it is amazing how we can't get any verification, along with Zhu's complete noncooperation.

AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-06 7:43 pm   Permalink

Hmmm, a pond. Probably decently large. Probably visible from the street. Might be visible from an adjacent yard. I had a dream last night -- tiki secret agents... Doing some address lookup somewhere... Going out day or night... With a secret hidden camera... Taking photos over a fence... Not "Greenpeace" but maybe "Marinepeace." "Rufus' Rescue Rangers." "Rufus' Wonton Warriors." Heh, just sayin...

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-06 8:47 pm   Permalink

Well it is an idea, Ace....Here is what's up with the other sites concerning Rufus

Rufus does have a website here, but it has not been updated since it went live on Feb. 17th 2014

http://rufusthefish.com/

Hidden L.A.'s last update was on Feb. 14th 2014: http://hiddenlosangeles.com/rufus/
Facebook updates here: https://www.facebook.com/HiddenLA

The Fundraising page has no current updates, here:
http://www.youcaring.com/pet-expenses/help-rufus-the-fish-find-a-forever-home-/136424

Side note: take a look at these photos from "Pacific Ocean Park" mentioned by Hidden L.A.
http://boingboing.net/2014/05/05/pacificoceanpark.html#more-300952

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2014-05-06 20:54 ]

THOR's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-06 9:31 pm   Permalink

Interesting. Let me clarify one thing. The Rufus thread I posted months ago this one came BEFORE hidden LA got involved. It was what sparked more awareness and action, including Damon's being able to follow this story and act. Hidden LA , from what I understand, got the press into this, including showing up at Damon's to the surprise of the owners when they were negotiating with Mr. Zhu progressively to that point . I know they meant well though. Therefore, we need to look back on facts and not point fingers at any effort as "fault , but stay clear that the one that has created All the issues and resistance to getting Rufus a proper home has be Mr. zhu.
I am very happy that there are other social networks keeping this issue alive. I personally won't accept closure till I see clear pictures of Rufus alive and well. However. This throwing him in an outdoor pond concept is definitely not a restful thought in the mean time. We really need to follow through on this! People "letting it go" is exactly what Zhu wants... And I don't believe his story that is supposed to shut us up, frankly!

View Profile of THOR's Send a personal message to THOR's  Email THOR's Goto the website of THOR's     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-06 9:41 pm   Permalink

Damn right Thor!
and it was Tom (Thor) whom was doing the talking with Damon's during those negotiations.

Tangaroa-Ru
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-06 9:55 pm   Permalink

I spoke with Lynn (of Hidden L.A., who organized the fundraiser) about two weeks ago. She has done a lot of fundraising and public awareness campaigns all over Los Angeles, with positive results. There was a good reason Otto von Stroheim suggested getting her involved. (They are old friends.) She did a great job of trying to help our local Tiki community get Rufus relocated. Through her organization she found professional aquatic movers who offered to donate moving services, tank builders who offered to help with the creation of a new tank at a reasonable price, and she communicated as well as she could with the Bahooka property owner and George (Rufus' longtime caretaker). She also created an excellent fundraiser which raised a couple thousand dollars. That money still sits in the fundraising account FOR NOW, because Lynn feels that IF there is ANY CHANCE AT ALL that Rufus might "resurface" in the next few months, and we still have any chance of buying him and moving him to Damon's, that money will be needed immediately, and there wouldn't be time to do another fundraiser. I'm going to talk to her next week to see how long she feels the money should be kept for this possibility. IF this is the end of the story as far as all of us seeing Rufus again (and I sure hope it isn't), Lynn will have to figure out how to refund everyone's contributions. As I said, she has never had a fundraiser/cause go south like this. New territory to maneuver, including the refund situation.

View Profile of Tangaroa-Ru Send a personal message to Tangaroa-Ru      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation