FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki -Ahem!- Swanky, ladies and gentlemen has just pulled a Coup.
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
-Ahem!- Swanky, ladies and gentlemen has just pulled a Coup.
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-22 12:43 pm   Permalink

A coup that must be seen to be believed.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-22 12:49 pm   Permalink

He's 7 1/2 feet tall. A New Guinea Oratory Stool. The spirit sits in the stool and the witness or speaker stands near it or touching it while speaking as the spirit bears witness, striking them dead if they should lie. Guessed age, 40 years. width, 23 inches. Shell and crocodile tooth insets.

[ This Message was edited by: Swanky 2007-05-24 08:51 ]

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-22 12:51 pm   Permalink

I assume he bought it, he didn't carve it. So the coup would be, "how much?" and where did he find it.

View Profile of jtiki Send a personal message to jtiki  Email jtiki Goto the website of jtiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twowheelin'tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-22 1:25 pm   Permalink

was that stool ,or tool?

View Profile of twowheelin'tiki Send a personal message to twowheelin'tiki  Email twowheelin'tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-22 2:47 pm   Permalink

Man, I'd hate to stumble into that tiki while going to the fridge for a midnight snack. How completely cool and freakish. Great score Swanky!

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-22 2:59 pm   Permalink

I got it in Indiana. I won't quote a price, just say I think I got a good deal. I won't be buying much else for a while though!

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
scigirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-22 3:43 pm   Permalink

Now I know what happened to my 7th grade Social Studies teacher... Great score Swanky!

View Profile of scigirl Send a personal message to scigirl  Goto the website of scigirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traderpup
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-22 4:36 pm   Permalink

uh, oh! I think this Tiki is gonna give Bong some serious penis envy!!

Nice score, Swanky! I've gotten some items from the same Indiana source, and am very happy!

View Profile of Traderpup Send a personal message to Traderpup  Email Traderpup Goto the website of Traderpup     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-23 12:13 am   Permalink

Moi aussi. Just bought an item the other day. But small and flaccid compared to this mighty tiki. Very much like the giants in the Mai Kai!

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-23 2:45 pm   Permalink

Notice any resemblance? This is from the Mai-Kai's home page.

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
vegastikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-23 3:37 pm   Permalink

Is this thing considered "Anatomically Correct?"

View Profile of vegastikidude Send a personal message to vegastikidude  Email vegastikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GECKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-23 4:33 pm   Permalink

now dats wun ONO carving!! I have to sey dats wun envious peice fo da peopo who like da New Guinea style!!

congrats

View Profile of GECKO Send a personal message to GECKO  Email GECKO Goto the website of GECKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-23 4:47 pm   Permalink

The Mai Kai is what has inspired me to get this and to look at more native carvings and artifacts.

Hala Kahiki is awesome, but it's 1960's Americana and it has that tiki cheesey side to it. Most of all the tiki bars are that way. And we revel in that Americanized Polynesia.

But the Mai Kai is full of the islands' authentic articles. The real islands. That's more of a beachcomber/travelers style. Instead of the flotsom and the carvings of inspired Americans, I wanted to get some real islands stuff in Shangri-La.

I plan to buy a lot more. I get to go pick this guy up this weekend and see what is likely a warehouse full. Maybe I'll bring more back with me! Save some shipping.

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-23 4:49 pm   Permalink

This is a creator figure. Ahem.

Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-23 5:37 pm   Permalink

Yeah Swanky, I was describing one of Gecko's panel carvings of the God of Fertility to a guest at my party a couple weeks ago and as I was pointing to it I explained that the penis was a standard part of these types of carvings. He looks at his wife and says "Hey honey look at the penis" She blurts out, "Does it work?" and walks around to get a better view. I'm thinkin' HOLY MOLY I'm going to have a problem here. Jeez peepo, these things are pretty standard for primitive cultures, no reason to get excited. Easy does it girls. (They were both non TCer's btw)

[ This Message was edited by: jungletrader on 2003-07-23 18:03 ]

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation