FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki -Ahem!- Swanky, ladies and gentlemen has just pulled a Coup.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
-Ahem!- Swanky, ladies and gentlemen has just pulled a Coup.
suicide_sam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-23 6:19 pm   Permalink

Now you have to rip the top of your car and sports world biggest dashboard tiki, ahh yeah, now that would be cool.

View Profile of suicide_sam Send a personal message to suicide_sam  Email suicide_sam Goto the website of suicide_sam ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-02 7:58 pm   Permalink

Okay, many of you may recall this guy and have seen other pictures of him. Friday, I was searching the web for images of New Guinea Men's Houses or Haus Tambaran and I found this site:

It's in Polish

If you scroll down a bit you hit the frak out. There is my Oratory Table! I have studied the poor image and looking at the feet, I feel very certain this is my piece. I have emailed the man and hope he can send me more pictures. Too weird...

If anyone can tell me what the Polish says, I'd appreciate it!

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-03 5:34 pm   Permalink

Looks like the same one to me. I've loved that piece ever since I first saw it.

You should incorporate him into your Headhunter Lounge logo. I know he's a bit friendly looking but PNG is/was headhunter territory and I think it would really be memorable for patrons to see the figure in the logo larger than life when they visit the bar.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-03 5:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-04-03 17:34, Kono wrote:
Looks like the same one to me. I've loved that piece ever since I first saw it.

You should incorporate him into your Headhunter Lounge logo. I know he's a bit friendly looking but PNG is/was headhunter territory and I think it would really be memorable for patrons to see the figure in the logo larger than life when they visit the bar.

That's a great idea!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-07 10:14 am   Permalink

Tim, congrats to that beaute! An oratory chair/table would still be something I would love to ad to my otherwise overflowing collection.

I was interested in them since I saw that Barney West used to carve them, on page 246 of the BOT he is sitting in one that he did in Hawaiian Ku (!?) style (..or, to be seen even BIGGER on page 160 of "Tiki Style", same in Old Navy Tiki style). The Tiki's arms stretch back to form the arm rest.

In a brochure from his "Tiki Junction" he has several cool and more authentic New Guinea style examples. What struck me is that to this day I have NEVER encountered any in the field, be it in a Polynesian restaurant or in any home lounges.

Maybe the price of 300.- bucks was too high back then, and he only made a few. Gotta ask O.A. about it.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki on 2005-04-11 17:24 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-07 10:25 am   Permalink

The real ones range in size from maybe 3 feet tall, to the 7 footer I have. It depends on what village they come from. Each has it's own traditions.

The one we got for Hale Tiki was about 5 feet and I think the asking price was about $3-400. He said there was a bar somewhere in the islands that used them as bar stools.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation