FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » Latitude 29, New Orleans, LA (bar)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Latitude 29, New Orleans, LA (bar)
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-21 11:02 am   Permalink

Name:Latitude 29
Type:bar
Street:321 N. Peters St.
City:New Orleans
State:LA
Zip:70130
Phone:

Description:
Jeff "Beachbum" and Annene Berry's Tiki bar and restaurant, located in the French Quarter. Will be opening in Fall 2014!

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Silly Idol

Posted: 2014-04-21 12:38 pm   Permalink

I just read about this!So excited!
Here is the article from NOLA.com.
http://www.nola.com/drink/index.ssf/2014/04/tiki_expert_jeff_beachbum_berr.html

View Profile of Silly Idol Send a personal message to Silly Idol      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finky099
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-10-13 3:08 pm   Permalink

Was in New Orleans last week and peeked in the door. There's still ALOT of interior construction they need to do (will be surprised if they make a month-end opening), but the big Bosko tikis were installed and looked great. Look forward to going back to NOLA and trying some libations and food there. Can't go wrong with the Bum!

View Profile of finky099 Send a personal message to finky099      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 29 days ago; 11:47 pm   Permalink

(Photo credit: Eater New Orleans)

The grand opening was Nov. 12, and early reviews are glowing, as expected. Here's a selection of press coverage, including lots of photos:
http://www.nola.com/dining/index.ssf/2014/11/7_facts_about_latitude_29_new.html
http://nola.eater.com/2014/11/13/7214027/scenes-and-coverage-from-last-nights-latitude-29-opening
http://www.nola.com/dining/index.ssf/2014/11/scenes_from_latitude_29s_openi.html
http://www.nola.com/dining/index.ssf/2014/11/jeff_beachbum_berry_latitude_2.html
http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com/news/politics/10717515-171/new-orleans-drinks-expert-jeff

Also, Tiki Diablo has a limited number of Latitude 29 mugs for sale. More info here:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=48517&forum=12&0

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 28 days ago; 12:53 am   Permalink

'Cmon TC, we're waiting for your reviews. I've seen lots of photos and comments on Facebook, but nothing here yet. Unfortunately, I'm not able to make it up to New Orleans anytime soon, so I'm hoping to enjoy Latitude 29 vicariously, and perhaps whip up a few drinks at home. The full menu, both food and drink, is posted on the homepage:
http://latitude29nola.com

There was a lot of speculation on what drinks would make the final cut. It's interesting that there are so few classics from the books, but I think that speaks to the level of talent Jeff has working for him. It looks like lots of reinterpretations and twists on what you might expect, which is great.

Here's the menu text ...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Jeff “Beachbum” Berry has spent the last two decades unearthing and publishing these “lost” exotic drinks, the best of which you’ll find on this menu, along with some originals and new interpretations of old classics.

We also offer an extensive menu of standard cocktails, highballs, and straight pours.

>>>>> SHORT HOISTS

PROFESSOR REMSBERG’S PUNCH
Fine old Guadeloupe rum, gently stirred with lime and a Caribbean spiced syrup discovered over 30 years ago in San Juan by the Professor himself $12

PANIOLO
Yee-haw and aloha: Kentucky bourbon and Hawaiian macadamia nut liqueur shaken with lime, our own cranberry syrup and a dash of molé bitters $10

OUTCAST OF THE ISLANDS
London Gin and Persian lime, caressed with cinnamon, ginger, almond and anise $12

OLD-FASHIONED RUM COCKTAIL
For those who take their kill-devil without fuss: A lot of rum and a little sugar, dashed with Abbott’s and Tiki bitters $10

>>>>> LONG PULLS

LATITUDE 29
Eight-year Demerara rum, passion fruit purée, our own Madagascar vanilla syrup, orange, pineapple and lemon. Served in a hollowed-out pineapple (while they last) $11

NAVY GROG
Frank Sinatra’s favorite Tiki drink. A bracing blend of Jamaican and Demerara rums, perfumed with allspice and laced with lime and grapefruit $12

HAWAII 504
Chinese five-spice suspended in honey and shaken with Virgin Islands rum, ginger liqueur, lime and orange juices $10

NUI NUI
A smooth and silky rum punch by Don The Beachcomber, created in 1937 but lost to time until the Bum unearthed the recipe in the private papers of Don’s maître d’ Dick Santiago $10

BUM’S RUSH
Blanco tequila meets bonded American apple brandy, with hints of honey, lime and orange $11

ESPRESSO BONGO
Gold Jamaican rum bestirred by coffee syrup, pineapple, passion fruit, orange and lime $10

MAI TAI
Trader Vic’s 1944 classic: Aged Martinique and Jamaican rums, Curaçao, lime, and a whisper of almond $12

MISSISSIPPI MERMAID
A siren’s call of vodka, tamarind, allspice, lemon and banana $12

SUFFERING BASTARD
The drink that won the Battle of El Alamein: Dutch gin, French brandy, our own lime cordial and a barrage of bitters, topped with ginger beer. Concocted by Joe Scialom of Shepheard’s Hotel, Cairo, 1942 $13

PONTCHARTRAIN PEARL DIVER
An “iced buttered rum”: our honey-butter-spice mix blended with passion fruit, lime and Jamaica rum $11

AQUADESIAC
Gold Barbados rum and Blue Curaçao teased with lemon, almond, caraway and Bénédictine $11

ZOMBIE
Our only slightly less lethal version of Don The Beachcomber’s infamous “mender of broken dreams.” Light, dark and overproof Caribbean rums lengthened with lime, grapefruit, cinnamon, and a dash of our house Undead Mix $13

KEA COLADA
A Piña Colada and then some: Jamaica and Virgin islands rums swirled with coconut cream, lime and pineapple $10

>>>>> COMMUNAL DRINKS

RUM BARREL
For 2 to share, or 1 thirsty pirate to hoard. A kill-devil’s brew of 3 rums, 4 juices, multiple herbs, spices and sweeteners ... did we mention rum? $18

DAVY JONES’ LAGER
For 2 or more. Gold rum from Antigua and pure malt beer from Japan, informed by Curaçao, lime, and our spiced cane syrup $24

LAPU LAPU
For 2 or more. Don The Beachcomber’s “lost” unpublished 1964 recipe, recently discovered by the Bum and presented here for the first time in over 40 years $22

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears that the only previously published recipes are:
* Bum's Rush (Intoxica, Remixed)
* Espresso Bongo (aka Kiliki Cooler from Remixed)
* Mai Tai (Grog Log, Sippin' Safari, Remixed, Potions)
* Navy Grog (Grog Log, Remixed)
* Nui Nui (Sippin' Safari)

The Aquadisiac appears to be a revamped verson of the drink that appeared in Remixed.

Several appear to be slightly different versions of Tiki classics:
* Pontchartrain Pearl Diver
* Rum Barrel
* Suffering Bastard
* Zombie

I'm excited about the newly unveiled classic recipes:
* Lapu Lapu
* Professor Remsberg's Punch

Of course, there are a few unique takes on some standards:
* Kea Colada
* Old-Fashioned Rum Cocktail

The rest appear to be Latitude 29 originals. FYI, Davy Jones Lager is a drink Jeff first introduced at The Hukilau in 2011 at the Kona Longboard room party. Looks like he's tweaked it a bit with Japanese beer and spiced syrup.

If anyone out there has sampled any of these, please share your thoughts (and photos).

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 28 days ago; 07:39 am   Permalink

The place looks great!
Good Luck Jeff "Beachbum" and Annene Berry!!

Plus it's really cool to see both Bosko and Tiki Diablo art works in on this one.
Love both these guys art styles.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 23 days ago; 01:04 am   Permalink

Also worth noting: The signature Latitude 29 cocktail is a retooled version of Beachbum's Own, which first appeared in Intoxica! and later resurfaced in Beachbum Berry Remixed and the Tiki+ and Total Tiki apps.

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

jazzman
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 22 days ago; 8:59 pm   Permalink

I'll be in NOLA shortly and plan on visiting here. I will post photos if I make it.

View Profile of jazzman Send a personal message to jazzman  Email jazzman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 19 days ago; 9:35 pm   Permalink

There's now a happy hour menu, featuring creations by Latitude 29's talented bartenders ...

Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 17 days ago; 10:33 pm   Permalink

It's worth noting that Hadi Ktiri's Tokyo Daiquiri appears in Beachbum Berry's Total Tiki app. The drink notes say it was served at the French 75 Bar, New Orleans, "where the Beachbum quickly became addicted to this drink."

If you don't have the app, you can find the recipe here:
http://www.bestofneworleans.com/blogofneworleans/archives/2014/04/19/beachbum-berrys-tiki-bar-to-open-in-bienville-house-hotel-in-the-french-quarter

finky099
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 16 days ago; 01:00 am   Permalink

I love the Total Tiki app. Use it all the time.
I look fwd to returning to NOLA to enjoy Latitude 29. I got to peek inside while they were still building out while I was there in early October and it fueled my desire to return to the city already.

View Profile of finky099 Send a personal message to finky099      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PremEx
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 14 days ago; 09:01 am   Permalink

Just booked flights and rooms the 1st week in January for a quick trip to NOLA to visit Lat29. Looking forward to it!

View Profile of PremEx Send a personal message to PremEx      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rockydog101
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 10 days ago; 9:33 pm   Permalink

Hi all,

I am in New Orleans for the weekend for a trauma course. I had to hit up L 29. I walk in, it's a very tastefully decorated tiki bar. Beautiful. I get seated at a table and have great view of the place. A lot of women here alone, but I'm married

First up I order a zombie and the pork ribs. I have been anticipating this for a while. I make the 1950 version at home and love it. I've tried the 1934 once and it didn't work out so well. So I get the version that Mr Beachbum is serving. It's phenomenal. I can't describe how good it is but it's exactly what I expected and yet something I couldn't imagine. As I start that I order a beachbum's own, as my goal is to try a handful of drinks. I have the liquor 43 (?34? I've had a few..) at home but haven't made one yet. The ribs come out, delicious.

A few minutes later a smiling man in a hat walks up and of course I know it's Jeff berry. He tells me I'm the first to order a beachbums own, and that they have an updated version called the latitude 29. He couldn't have been nicer. Talked rums and he schooled me on the zombie. Super nice guy.

The latitude 29 was delicious and the passionate fruit flavor was great. I settled up my bill, then got a copy of intoxica from my car and asked mr berry to sign it.

This place is great, and the drinks are just perfect. I'm going back tomorrow night because I have a handful more I want to try. You gotta be a fool to not come here.

[ This Message was edited by: rockydog101 2014-12-12 21:35 ]

View Profile of rockydog101 Send a personal message to rockydog101      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finky099
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 7 days ago; 4:54 pm   Permalink

rockydog, would love to see some pics, if you got any.
Cheers!

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 5 days ago; 3:01 pm   Permalink

Here is an article from Liquor.com about Latitude 29

http://liquor.com/articles/raising-the-bar-beachbum-berry/?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Liquor%3A%20Total&utm_campaign=12.17.14%20-%20FA%20-%20Jerry%20Beachbum%20%20Berry

Including this recipe:

Don the Beachcomber’s Nui Nui (circa-1937)
Contributed by Jeff “Beachbum” Berry

INGREDIENTS:

.5 oz Fresh lime juice
.5 oz Orange juice
.25 oz Cinnamon-infused sugar syrup*
1 teaspoon Vanilla-infused sugar syrup*
1 teaspoon St. Elizabeth Allspice Dram
1.5 oz Gold Virgin Islands rum
.5 oz Dark Demerara rum
Dash Angostura Bitters
.5 cup Crushed ice

Garnish: Cinnamon stick and thin strip of orange peel
Glass: Highball

PREPARATION:
Put everything in a blender. Flash-blend at high speed for no more than five seconds.
Pour into a tall glass and add ice to fill.

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2014-12-17 15:03 ]

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation