FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » Latitude 29, New Orleans, LA (bar)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Latitude 29, New Orleans, LA (bar)
jazzman
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-12-17 10:15 pm   Permalink

I made it here a couple of times and got to meet the Bum himself. The Navy Grog here is excellent but all drinks were good. Could not fit dining here into the schedule. Jeff told me that they will make other drinks from the books upon request so I got to have a Demerara Dry Rum Float. These are iphone pics, no flash, so not very good. The bowl is a Lapu Lapu for two.

View Profile of jazzman Send a personal message to jazzman  Email jazzman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finky099
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-12-18 12:48 pm   Permalink

Still, cool pics, jazzman. Thanks for posting.

View Profile of finky099 Send a personal message to finky099      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PremEx
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-01-09 3:50 pm   Permalink

Just got back from a 2 day trip to NOLA specifically to visit the Bum's place. Can't really say enough good things about this great new bar and restaurant. Jeff and his wife Annene are the most gracious of hosts, all the staff are super friendly and passionate about their jobs. The drinks, food, music, lighting, and décor are everything you'd want to experience. Just fantastic on all counts. Didn't want to leave. Just wanted to stay and soak it all in. Some snaps:

The classic Mai Tai:

A Happy Hour special, the Tokyo Daiquiri, created by Hadi Ktiri (formerly of French 75):

Another Happy Hour exclusive, the Steak Frites:

Mac & Cheese and Fries (I think the drink was a Nui Nui):

The ono Polynasian Ribs accompanied by a Latitude 29:

The Bum and a bum (I'm holding a Navy Grog):

Had several other drinks, all of which were stellar. I should have taken more pictures of the place, but was having too much fun! Can't wait to return.

[ This Message was edited by: PremEx 2015-01-09 15:53 ]

View Profile of PremEx Send a personal message to PremEx      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finky099
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-01-09 3:54 pm   Permalink

Thanks for posting pics, PremEx. Those look like tasty drinks- and I'm sure they were given the source. It's great you got to meet "The Bum" too. Very cool.

View Profile of finky099 Send a personal message to finky099      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PremEx
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-03-20 2:49 pm   Permalink

A local NOLA station did a short piece today on Latitude 29. Don't know how long the link will be good for, but for now, here it is:

http://wgno.com/2015/03/20/tiki-temple-at-beachbum-berrys-latitude-29/

View Profile of PremEx Send a personal message to PremEx      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Freeland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-09-25 09:54 am   Permalink

Finally getting around to heading back to NOLA... haven't been since before Katrina.

What does everyone recommend for first cocktails?

View Profile of Freeland Send a personal message to Freeland  Email Freeland Goto the website of Freeland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2015-09-25 09:59 am   Permalink

For a moment, I'll skip over the obvious suggestion of Latitude... NOLA is the home of the Sazerac, so if you're into a good rye whiskey cocktail, I can suggest putting the Hotel Sazerac and their bar on your list. The Sazerac cocktail is a good rye whiskey sipper, and to have it at the place it was invented, would be cool.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finky099
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-09-25 7:16 pm   Permalink

Just off the top of my head-
Broussard's would be one of my first stops. Go when Paul Gustings is mixing. He's literally one of the best in the US and his mixology is amazing. Actually a pretty funny guy, too, if you can get past his initially "crusty exterior" persona.

Cane and Table down the east side of Decatur has some great drinks and had a huge stash of Lemon Hart still when I was there this time last year.

A little further west on Decatur is Tujague's. Great cocktails and beer. Old tine corner kinda place.

Amendment 21 makes some great neo-prohibiton style cocktails. Small place that often has live jazz. Surprised it doesn't get mentioned alot more.

Of course there's the standard Arnaud's French 75 but if you've been once or twice...

mikehooker
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2015-09-26 06:17 am   Permalink

Hawaii 504 was my favorite at Latitude. Nice spice.

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-10-15 9:43 pm   Permalink

No service 10 minutes before closing! Bullshit! I own 20 bars and you take orders until closing! I've come 1000 miles and I expect basic service! I came 1000 miles... I was expecting to have a nice cocktail and to take home a mug. To hell with them! I travel a lot. Other places are about SERVICE! I'll give them my business!

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-10-15 11:55 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-10-15 21:43, Bongo Bungalow wrote:
No service 10 minutes before closing! Bullshit! I own 20 bars and you take orders until closing! I've come 1000 miles and I expect basic service! I came 1000 miles... I was expecting to have a nice cocktail and to take home a mug. To hell with them! I travel a lot. Other places are about SERVICE! I'll give them my business!

You own 20 bars and never heard of last call?

Closing time in California (here it is 2am) means last call is anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes before 2pm
at 2pm the last customer is out the door and locked, it is the law here.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Below Decks
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-10-16 09:01 am   Permalink

I'd add maybe an unnecessary note that Latitude 29 is an exotic, hand-crafted tiki cocktail bar, with complex multi-ingredient cocktails, with each drink using unique drink vessels, ice and garnishes. To have someone come in 5-10 minutes before closing (and after last call) expecting bartenders to make one of the Bum's cocktails under such circumstances is, I think, probably a bit much. As someone who has now been to Latitude 29 more than 8-10 times, I can say that it is a place of excellent service, well-trained, skilled and friendly bartenders and waitstaff, and is presided over and run by Jeff Beachbum Berry, one of the nicest, most generous and friendly tiki legends I've ever met.

View Profile of The Below Decks Send a personal message to The Below Decks  Goto the website of The Below Decks     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-10-16 3:45 pm   Permalink

Maybe the expectations were low because of Hacienda Fiesta's style of bar menu/drinks. Famous Frozen Margaritas, Frozen Long Island's, Strawberry Daiquiris, Bacardi and Malibu rums...

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-10-19 6:36 pm   Permalink

Alright, alright... I FULLY understand hand-crafted drinks and appreciate them as much as anyone here on Tiki Central. Look, I've been around. At my bars, last call comes AFTER the posted closing time. That's our culture and the way we take care of our guests. If you walk in at closing you will be served whether you order a simple frozen margarita from a machine, or a made-from-scratch, original recipe Mai-Tai. If this not common... it should be.

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2015-10-19 8:07 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-10-19 18:36, Bongo Bungalow wrote:
Alright, alright... I FULLY understand hand-crafted drinks and appreciate them as much as anyone here on Tiki Central. Look, I've been around. At my bars, last call comes AFTER the posted closing time. That's our culture and the way we take care of our guests. If you walk in at closing you will be served whether you order a simple frozen margarita from a machine, or a made-from-scratch, original recipe Mai-Tai. If this not common... it should be.

When is your closing time? In Indiana you cannot serve alcohol after 3am, at least I think that's correct. In California the law is no onsite consumption of alcohol at bars after 2am. The typical 1:30 last call is essentially a courtesy to allow customers time to consume one last drink. By doing last call at 1:30 the bars can make sure they are in compliance with the law (no one still drinking alcohol) when the clock strikes 2. I take it you're not serving alcohol after 3am and that your closing time is well before then?

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation