FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » Latitude 29, New Orleans, LA (bar)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Latitude 29, New Orleans, LA (bar)
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-10-20 03:30 am   Permalink

Hagalugi, we close our bars at 11 most days and midnight on weekends, so compliance with the law is never in question. Like Latitude 29, we are not interested in the business available at 3am.

BTW, I did return to Berry's place the next afternoon and enjoyed a Suffering Bastard and a Mai Tai. Having other members of family joining in, I got to sample the signature Latitude 29 drink, Navy Grog, Nui Nui and Outcast. All were excellent. Service was friendly.

This was just my second trip to New Orleans. (Now having a daughter living in Baton Rouge, I will return often.) On this trip I enjoyed, and recommend checking out, Napoleon House, Carousel Bar, the Blacksmith Shop. I enjoyed excellent cocktails at each.

My complaint with Latitude 29 is claiming to be accepting guests until 10pm, then turning guests away prior to that. I think they should stop it. And another guest focused habit they might pick up is to unlock their doors and accept guests ten minutes prior to their stated opening time. It's what my high volume businesses do and guests really appreciate it.

I'm just sayin'.

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-10-20 10:56 am   Permalink

I think the issue here is that you're comparing Latitude 29 with your "high volume businesses"
I am pretty sure the quality of drinks & atmosphere is not even comparable.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-10-20 3:10 pm   Permalink

ATP, really? A bar like L29, which serves fewer people each day, is the type that has the ability to make each guest feel special. It's the get-drunk-we're-open-til-3am bars that I would expect to be treated indiverentially and expect a last call before the posted closing time. Those places maybe need to let their guests sober up a bit before hitting the street. Last Thursday night L29 closed at 10:00-- that's different!

We are lament how many tiki bars have closed over the last 20 years-- especially ones that make great cocktails. It's sometimes small details like welcoming guests all the way until closing that grow a business. (Think of the attention guests receive at the Mai Kai!)

It would not surprise me if Berry would be shocked to know his staff turned our group away before closing. Were the chairs already up on the tables? Can't say, we didn't make it in that far. But Berry, because I'm a true tiki fans, because I'm a member of Tiki Central, because I've bought all your books, and because I'm in the restaurant/bar business... I cam back the next day.

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-10-20 4:32 pm   Permalink

Ask the Bum, next time you are there, I would like to know what he thinks?
but as I said earlier (as well as Karl and others) we don't have those expectations
due to very strict Liquor laws in our state & the universal practice of last call etc.

But from what you have said, as well as others, it sounds like Latitude 29 is carving out a more
high class cocktail lounge niche for it's self, that said, I would simply plan on getting there
at an earlier time, so as to have "more" time to really enjoy it.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gabbahey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-11-06 11:43 am   Permalink

I found out I'll be taking a work trip to New Orleans and our hotel is a short walk from here. So excited to be able to stop by. I talked my wife into going it should basically be better than any work trip ever. If any locals want to trade mugs or other tiki items (or records!), let me know.

gabbahey

View Profile of gabbahey Send a personal message to gabbahey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-09 07:44 am   Permalink

The drinks are works of art!

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-10 12:17 pm   Permalink

More photos, puh-leease!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-20 07:09 am   Permalink

You can now buy the two Latitude 29 coconut mugs on Cocktail Kingdom.

http://www.cocktailkingdom.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=beachbum

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2017-07-24 12:00 pm   Permalink

Additional details from Cap'n_Crafty_McGrim_II (also added to the first post in this thread):

http://latitude29nola.com/

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/beachbumberryslatitude29

More Photos:
https://www.google.com/search?q=beachbum+berry%27s+latitude+29&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwilzd-q-aHVAhXMbD4KHScUCnAQ_AUIDCgD&biw=1152&bih=734#q=beachbum+berry's+latitude+29&tbm=isch&tbs=rimg:Cdr09Sn_1RC1lIjgD4Phb6CJVj3KzrIDqGVmjN0-ktUjeM67xge9c3o-eOrgbF8QqzZZGR9mpszmYBDs-IUi1QuReIyoSCQPg-FvoIlWPEco_1UTdmVSRSKhIJcrOsgOoZWaMRRBxwJw_1HUKwqEgk3T6S1SN4zrhHDbzzvIwmFkCoSCfGB71zej546EWMmvkvWEpNIKhIJuBsXxCrNlkYRaT7h4ijRAzoqEglH2amzOZgEOxHtIMyihhvbvyoSCT4hSLVC5F4jEVD5GoxRlSYa&imgdii=A-D4W-giVY9HFM:&imgrc=F40EVxsHxAzN0M:

[ This Message was edited by: Hakalugi 2017-07-24 12:03 ]

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-08-07 11:08 pm   Permalink

Had the pleasure of visiting Lat29 about 3 wks ago . Dusty wrote that the “drinks are a work of art”. He is absolutely right and I Think that the tiki experience at Lat29 is awesome. Went two week nights in a row. Met the BeachBum himself on the second visit. Chatted up the barkeeps ( Sam and Brad) and learned quite a bit about how the place functions. I like that you can’t just walk in and stand at the bar and have drinks. Gotta have an empty chair at the bar or you don’t get in. Have you ever been annoyed when some fool pushes his way to the bar and reaches between you and your guest and over your drinks? Apparently Jeff Barry has. His place, his rules. I love the place.
BTW, there are some great pieces by Bosco and Danny to be seen, especially the tiki map behind the bar by Danny (TikiDiablo) Sorry, no pix, I could not match those already posted.
P S, Ihad some ono Loco Moco there both visits.

[ This Message was edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2017-08-07 23:12 ]

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation