[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Share your signature tiki drink
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Share your signature tiki drink
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-19 1:34 pm   Permalink

In 2008, I created a signature drink to serve our guests, as we cruised on our houseboat, The Leaky Tiki. Later, I shared the recipe for the Fateful Trip in a cocktail chain postcard thread, here on TC. Here's the link to the recipe, which was sent to 'Murph' (he misplaced the postcard for a while), along with his review:
The Fateful Trip recipe.

[ This Message was edited by: Limbo Lizard 2014-07-19 13:35 ]

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-19 11:11 pm   Permalink

mikehooker: I'm partial to this punch recipe from "Taboo Table" ...

It serves 6, but you could easily scale it up to 12 or 18.

As for signature drinks, it's tough to pick one. My most recent, The Mai-Kai Hurricane, is the best I've come up with in a while ...
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2014/07/15/tales-of-the-cocktails-signature-drink-packs-a-wallop-but-can-it-tame-a-hurricane-inspired-by-the-mai-kai/

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-20 3:07 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the tips and recipes everyone. The party ended up having way more in attendance than our usual soirees and I was utterly unprepared! I wanted to have the first batch of punch ready before guests arrived but I was still squeezing roughly a bagillion limes and crushing mounds of ice in the Oster Snoflake I just picked up on Etsy for 10 bucks(my new favorite toy) when people began showing up. Snacks were laid out (we tried replicating the Mai Kai pu pu platter) but I could see the natives were thirsty and getting restless and I should begin serving up drinks before I had a riot on my hands. I started with the Kapu Kai cuz it's so simple and delicious. I only intended to make a few but before I knew it a line of tiki mugs was forming and my LH151 was rapidly diminishing. Once everyone got a little teaser in their system I went back to my old stand by, a big ole batch of Rum Barrel. I really wanted to dive into something new for this occasion, which is why I posted on this thread in the first place, but as more and more guests arrived and I had to get something banged out quickly, I decided not to take chances with something I hadn't tried before and went with something I could make blindfolded. Next time I will be sure to allow myself more time for experimentation and report the results here. The Rum Barrels were a huge hit as always. I doctor the recipe a bit, just substituting the grapefruit juice with pineapple. More drinks were made throughout the night but this post is already longer than it should be.

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-20 3:09 pm   Permalink

mein Gott!

THOU SHALT NOT WASTE LH151 ON THE MASSES!!!!

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-20 3:16 pm   Permalink

I KNOW! It will not happen again. I only have three bottles in reserve.

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-20 3:25 pm   Permalink

the masses are usually pleased most by cuervo gold with cuervo margarita mix...

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-21 07:02 am   Permalink

Ha, Cuervo... That's some really vile stuff, and the masses love it.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-22 3:38 pm   Permalink

The Oster Sno-Flake is one of my absolute favorite tools! (Along with their "milkshake" blade and steel jar which is THE ideal rig for flash blending.)

But you need a lever squeezer for lime-ing up for a regiment of guests. I couldn't do it without such a beats.

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-23 12:00 am   Permalink

Mike, you can't go wrong with a batch of of Rum Barrels. Good to hear you pulled it off!

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rockydog101
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-10-01 4:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-07-18 08:50, djmont wrote:
Here's a punch recipe from my book, Professor Cocktail's Zombie Horde: Recipes for the World's Most Lethal Drink:

Andy Pearson's Zombie Punch (2010)

Source:
Andy Pearson
BBC2's Something for the Weekend
London, England, 2010

Instructions:
10 tbsp. Dark Brown Sugar
300ml/10 1/2 fl oz. Lemon Juice
300ml/10 1/2 fl oz. White Rum
300ml/10 1/2 fl oz. Gold Rum
300ml/10 1/2 fl oz. Demerara Rum (preferably 151 proof)
300ml/10 1/2 fl oz. Pineapple Juice
300ml/10 1/2 fl oz. Lime Juice
300ml/10 1/2 fl oz. Passion Fruit Syrup
8-10 dashes Bitters
1 pineapple

Place the brown sugar and the lemon juice into a jug and stir to dissolve. Place the lemon mixture and all the other ingredients into a large bowl and stir well.
Either serve the punch in the bowl or pour into a hollowed-out pumpkin. (Remove the top, scoop out the flesh and seeds and discard.) Add 1 lemon (cut into 8 pieces) and 1 lime (cut into 8 pieces) and serve.

Professor's Note:
Andy Pearson is an award-winning mixologist and director of the drinks consultancy Intoxicology. This recipe is basically the Spievak Zombie on steroids. If you ever need to make a big batch of Zombies for a party, this is a good way to go.

Hi Professor!

I found your book by looking for zombie recipes. The above recipe (in the version for a single zombie), i'v seen attributed to you on the internet "Dr Cocktail's." It really is my favorite version. Anyway.

View Profile of rockydog101 Send a personal message to rockydog101      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DevilDude

Posted: 2014-10-02 1:00 pm   Permalink

Here's my signature, I find much like the beachcomber who's style I try to emulate I'm still constantly tinkering with it.

'Ancient Astronaut'

1 oz fresh lime juice
1/2 oz Falernum (John D. Taylor Velvet )
1/3 oz Cinnamon Syrup (monin is what I used originally I switched to BG reynolds)
1/2 oz Gran Marnier
3/4 oz Virgin islands white rum (cruzan is my go to)
3/4 oz Reposado Tequila (I've been using casadores)
3/4 oz Demarera 151 (Lemon Hart)
dash of orange bitters
dash of pernod

Blend everything save the 151 with 8 oz of cracked ice for no more than 5 seconds. Serve in a highball glass float 151, add ice to fill, garnish with mint (broken).

The story behind this one is that I was reading 'remixed' one night and thinking of mixing up a test pilot, reading the entry which notes that the Test pilot was constantly being reinvented and riffed off of with names like the space pilot and the astronaut. I thought to myself that I'd like to try something similar but needed a good name (what's a good drink without a good name?) My glance crossed the next page and happened upon the 'Ancient Mariner' and it hit me 'Ancient Astronaut' I hit up google to see if anyone had claimed the name, and found nothing so I set to work coming up with something.

The name was so good I decided to run with it as the theme too, which informed that I should try to use ingredients with a mezzo american origin (basically stuff from latin america). I ended up altering so much that it doesn't really resemble a test pilot anymore, it's still dry, but it's got a lot more body and a spicy punch and complexity that pushes it more into the realm of something like a zombie, not to mention the fact that I upped the alcohol significantly.

I'd planned to go to Tiki Oasis and offer it on the room crawl, but my brother couldn't go and I didn't feel like solo'ing. Still tinkering with it, my current thought is to add a little more juice to round it out and play with the bitters/pernod to see what I can get with other bitters/liquer combos.

[ This Message was edited by: DevilDude 2014-10-02 13:07 ]

View Profile of DevilDude Send a personal message to DevilDude      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation