[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Blender Advice
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Blender Advice
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-02 1:35 pm   Permalink

I'm finally purchasing a top down blender and wanted some advise. I can buy a new Hamilton Beach DrinkMaster Chrome Classic Mixer at BB&B by my house for $45.00:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/hamilton-beach-reg-drinkmaster-reg-chrome-classic-mixer/1011309828?Keyword=HAMILTON+BEACH

The only issue that I have is that the agitator on the new units is made from plastic where the vintage ones had a harder metal agitator which seems more durable:

Has anyone had any issues with these plastic agitators? Are they durable?? There are many of the vintage models on Ebay for less money, but you never know what kind of condition you are actually going to end up with from Ebay.

Mahalo and thanks for the help!

Craig

[ This Message was edited by: CincyTikiCraig 2014-05-03 15:17 ]

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
happy buddha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-02 2:30 pm   Permalink

Ive had a Hamilton beach w the plastic part for a couple years; never had an issue. But I typically wash that part by hand after each use, I don't think it's ever seen the dishwasher.

By the way, once you go with a top down, you never go back! They really make a huge difference imho

[ This Message was edited by: happy buddha 2014-05-02 14:32 ]

View Profile of happy buddha Send a personal message to happy buddha  Goto the website of happy buddha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Merlino

Posted: 2014-05-02 2:32 pm   Permalink

I have an HB top down mixer with the plastic agitator... I've had it for a year now and have probably made about 100 drinks with it, and then some milkshakes. I don't see any wear on the tip whatsoever, and I can't imagine that you'd wear itout any time soon in a home setting.

View Profile of Merlino Send a personal message to Merlino      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-02 3:16 pm   Permalink

I hope CincyTikiCraig doesn't mind me butting in here

I have been thinking about getting a top down mixer for a while now. The only make I have heard of is the Hamilton Beach Blender which is 80 / $135. It gets 3 1/2 stars avergae review on Amazon.

Although my main blender was a pricey one, faced by that level of expenditure I am a little put off!

Does any one have any experience of other blenders?

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-02 3:22 pm   Permalink

Ps.

Ok, I just looked, Hamilton Beach have a lot of blenders ~ the one I was refering to is:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00004X134/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=WWMFSVJ875Z&coliid=I1IU15ZXDONN8O

That's what I think of as a 'top down' blender?

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wizzard419
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-02 3:32 pm   Permalink

So... what kind of drinks would be better served by a mixmaster (the top-down style) blender vs a traditional one?

View Profile of wizzard419 Send a personal message to wizzard419      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
happy buddha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-02 4:07 pm   Permalink

All of them. Except ones that need fruit crushed up, or are meant to be 'slushy', like the Coconaut.

View Profile of happy buddha Send a personal message to happy buddha  Goto the website of happy buddha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-02 4:15 pm   Permalink

a traditional blender has blades which crush the ice and make your drink into a slushie, whereas a top-down mixer agitates and mixes the drink without pulverizing the ice. It's the type of mixer that's called for in Tiki Mixology. A traditional blender is better for things like crushing pineapple for a Boo Loo or a pina colada, a top-down mixer won't crush fruit.

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-02 4:17 pm   Permalink

Sorry Happy Buddha we must have been typing our responses at the same time.

PabTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-05-02 4:21 pm   Permalink

Well crud, in the Beach Bum Berry app I saw the icon of a traditional blender and took it literally.

Fortunately since mine only cost $14, as soon as it breaks next week or so I can invest in something better.

For some reason I thought the point of a blender was to crush the ice as much as possible.

The learning curve continues!

My collection of bifwebe | My cruddy music

View Profile of PabTiki Send a personal message to PabTiki  Goto the website of PabTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-05-02 4:37 pm   Permalink

You meant ADVICE rather than ADVISE in the title and in your first sentence. You needed to use the noun rather than the verb in the way you were using the word.

------The Spelling Police

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wizzard419
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-02 4:48 pm   Permalink

So... now I'm confused. You're looking for a device to mix drinks but doesn't crush ice or breaks up fruit?

Why wouldn't a standard shaker be able to do that?

View Profile of wizzard419 Send a personal message to wizzard419      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-03 3:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-05-02 16:37, GROG wrote:
You meant ADVICE rather than ADVISE in the title and in your first sentence. You needed to use the noun rather than the verb in the way you were using the word.

Fixed it, thanks Officer Grog!

CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-03 3:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-05-02 16:37, GROG wrote:

Fixed it, thanks Officer Grog!

GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-05-03 5:14 pm   Permalink

GROG happy to be of assistance.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation