FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Kahuna Tiki, North Hollywood, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Kahuna Tiki, North Hollywood, CA (restaurant)
KrakenHunterSteve
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-05-11 7:31 pm   Permalink

Name:Kahuna Tiki
Type:restaurant
Street:Magnolia Boulevard
City:North Hollywood
State:CA
Zip:91601
Phone:

Description:
Kahuna Tiki is a Tiki Bar and Sushi Restaurant opening in June or July this year. I will update this post when I have more information.

View Profile of KrakenHunterSteve Send a personal message to KrakenHunterSteve  Email KrakenHunterSteve     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KrakenHunterSteve
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-05-11 7:38 pm   Permalink

We were down in North Hollywood about a month ago shopping at a nearby retro lighting store when we saw the doors to what should have been a cool little lunch spot. This was the Rainforest Cafe, and it had been closed for about two years, and the new owners were inside discussing the place with their contractors. I spoke briefly to the new owner, and they plan to open the place in June or July as a Tiki Bar and Sushi Restaurant. I took some before pictures of what was left of the cafe.

The front door is just a facade, as the interior is open under the sky. Trees are planted and flourishing throughout the cafe.

Right by the entrance is a large fountain installation with a footbridge, and a Tiki was left behind. I wonder if either will remain in the new place?

Tables, trees, and another view of the fountain.

View Profile of KrakenHunterSteve Send a personal message to KrakenHunterSteve  Email KrakenHunterSteve     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoCal Savage
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-11 8:44 pm   Permalink

I'll hope for the best for this. Always nice to have another place to go in the area.

View Profile of SoCal Savage Send a personal message to SoCal Savage      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danitiki

Posted: 2014-06-05 9:17 pm   Permalink

Any status updates on this? I noticed the sign KAHUNA TIKI on my way home tonight. Not sure how I've never noticed before since I live right near by. Got totes excited, googled and of course the only place mentioning it online was tiki central.

View Profile of danitiki Send a personal message to danitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki-Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-06 10:20 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-06-05 21:17, danitiki wrote:
Any status updates on this? I noticed the sign KAHUNA TIKI on my way home tonight. Not sure how I've never noticed before since I live right near by. Got totes excited, googled and of course the only place mentioning it online was tiki central.

Posted by Poly Hai on FB:

DATELINE JUNE 2nd, 2014: A NEW TIKI BAR IN NORTH HOLLYWOOD?
There is an older bar/restaurant space in North Hollywood, California, which once had a life as a tropical restaurant and, more recently, as a hookah bar. What made it unique was that it contained man-made "rivers" running throughout its multi-level outdoor dining and entertaining space, giving it an exotic vibe. (Although the last time we were inside this establishment, it was clear those water features had been dry for years.) It also had indoor dining and drinking space. All these things made it a unique layout and a place we always thought would make a perfect Tiki bar. Apparently we are not alone. "Kahuna Tiki" has its Grand Opening scheduled for July 1st. One of the owners told us they plan on having luaus and dancers, sushi, cocktails, Hawaiian food and Tiki. Please do not judge yet on the photos we've posted. This is just a hint of the "before" They are just starting on the construction and have not yet decorated or anything. We plan to update you as things develop. Special mahalos go to Robert Spina (an ace cub reporter for Poly Hai's "The Jungle Drum" school paper) for bringing us this breaking news.

View Profile of Loki-Tiki Send a personal message to Loki-Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-06 10:33 am   Permalink

Wow. So that makes three tiki bars in North Hollywood? Lucky bastards.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SBJiminyC
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-06-06 2:55 pm   Permalink

I was driving down Magnolia today and saw this place. I snapped a drive by cell phone pic

The address on the building was 11026 Magnolia Blvd

[ This Message was edited by: SBJiminyC 2014-06-06 15:46 ]

View Profile of SBJiminyC Send a personal message to SBJiminyC      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Onyx_Noir
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-06-06 3:57 pm   Permalink

Whoops, and that's what I get for not reading the whole thread lol.

[ This Message was edited by: Onyx_Noir 2014-06-06 15:58 ]

View Profile of Onyx_Noir Send a personal message to Onyx_Noir  Email Onyx_Noir     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-06-06 3:57 pm   Permalink

That would put it not terribly far from Tiki No. Anyone want to speculate on which one will make better drinks?

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danitiki

Posted: 2014-06-07 10:55 am   Permalink

fingers crossed for great cocktails! Hope that July 1 date is legit.

Facebook page has popped up
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kahuna-Tiki/254162371454203?ref=br_tf

View Profile of danitiki Send a personal message to danitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Heitiki

Posted: 2014-06-10 12:20 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Heitiki 2014-08-31 08:01 ]

View Profile of Heitiki Send a personal message to Heitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Cocktail
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-03 5:22 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-06-07 10:55, danitiki wrote:
fingers crossed for great cocktails!

Don't hold your breath as their pending liquor license is type 41 for beer and wine only:

http://www.abc.ca.gov/datport/LQSData.asp?ID=79857491

View Profile of Atomic Cocktail Send a personal message to Atomic Cocktail  Goto the website of Atomic Cocktail     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danitiki

Posted: 2014-07-10 2:41 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-07-03 17:22, Atomic Cocktail wrote:
Don't hold your breath as their pending liquor license is type 41 for beer and wine only:
http://www.abc.ca.gov/datport/LQSData.asp?ID=79857491

Well that's a total bummer since it was reported a few posts ago
Quote:
they plan on having luaus and dancers, sushi, cocktails, Hawaiian food and Tiki.

Tiki with no Tiki Cocktails?? I'm soooo sad. Can they upgrade license type later I wonder? Are there too many "bars" too close together on Magnolia already? hmmmmm

SoCal Savage
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-16 11:17 am   Permalink

(In my book) No cocktails... no Tiki.

View Profile of SoCal Savage Send a personal message to SoCal Savage      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-16 12:22 pm   Permalink

So True, SoCal, this is a non-starter, one of the key & necessary components
of a true "Tiki Bar" are cocktails.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation