FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food velvet falernum, where is it?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
velvet falernum, where is it?
twowheelin'tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-22 9:30 pm   Permalink

has anybody seen this stuff in L.A. yet?.I really want to try it.

View Profile of twowheelin'tiki Send a personal message to twowheelin'tiki  Email twowheelin'tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-22 11:44 pm   Permalink

T.W.
What's goin on?
Here is the distributer in Cailfornia. Give him a call.

Mike Binkowski Broker
Royal Brokerage House
705-2 East Bidwell St #257
Folsom, CA 95630
916-847-7600

Here is the new website:
http://www.velvetfalernum.com/

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twowheelin'tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-23 12:36 am   Permalink

unga , you my nizzy!, much love.

View Profile of twowheelin'tiki Send a personal message to twowheelin'tiki  Email twowheelin'tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-23 4:29 pm   Permalink

I've found it extremely difficult to get a bottle of that elixer delivered and recently found a simple recipe for making it at home.

The recipe is from KingCocktail himself and scaled down by an e-gullet member, so it's a legit one.

Thusly:

Some additional notes, the flavor of the homemade Falernum is dominated by the bitter notes of lime zest. The commercial product contains lime juice, and I think more sugar, and is therefore more sweet/sour rather than bitter. When we have done tastings, people tended to prefer the more sophisticated flavor of the homemade (zesty) Velvet Falernum, so it is worth making yourself.

Rum Marinade
1 c White Rum
3 Limes worth of Zest (peel it off)
3 Whole Cloves
3 drops of Almond Extract
Simple Syrup (1:1)
4 c Superfine Sugar
4 c Water

In a small covered container place the Rum, Cloves, Almond Extract and Lime Peel. Set aside for about 18-24 hours.

In a 2 quart jar mix Sugar and Water. Shake it up every once in a while. By the time the marinade is done, the sugar will have dissolved.

Strain the Rum Marinade into the sugar water. Taste. The almond flavor should be barely detectable, but it should be there. If you can't taste it at all, add another drop or two of Almond Extract.

So there you have it.

I keep reading about ginger being a part of it but haven't found any recipe for it that contains ginger.

However - I'll go dig a little root of my homegrown spice ginger up and shave a little into my next batch of Falernum and post about this addition.

Don't want to miss out on any of those flavors that Donn Beach was slinging now do we?

Certainly - if anyone can find a place that sells and ships to Florida, please post it.

EDIT: I tried email to the Spirit of Hartford about their commercial Falernum and although was immediately replied to, came up with no leads - no help - no Falernum... sigh.

[ This Message was edited by: pablus on 2003-07-23 16:36 ]

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Cocktail
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-23 10:59 pm   Permalink

TwoWheeling, I was just at Beverage Warehouse today in Culver City-they have the Velvet.

Hey, don't buy all of it as I was on my bike and didn't have any money on me!

View Profile of Atomic Cocktail Send a personal message to Atomic Cocktail  Goto the website of Atomic Cocktail     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twowheelin'tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-25 10:50 pm   Permalink

atomic, are you sure it was VELVET falernum?.I found fee bros and asked the guy about velvet ,and he looked at me like I was high!.

Kreaky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-25 10:57 pm   Permalink

I found some Fee Bros in Van Nuys. I have not tried it yet. Has anyone?

Cheers,

KT

View Profile of Kreaky Tiki Send a personal message to Kreaky Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Cocktail
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-25 11:00 pm   Permalink

Two Whellin',

I thought it was velvet. Check in the Run section, bottom shelf-right side. I'll stop by again and check.

View Profile of Atomic Cocktail Send a personal message to Atomic Cocktail  Goto the website of Atomic Cocktail     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twowheelin'tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-28 1:17 pm   Permalink

kreaky,fee bros is good stuff.

Kreaky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-28 8:48 pm   Permalink

Thanks TWT, below is the response from one of the makers of the elusive alcohol laden falernum!

Dear Mr. McQueen

Thank you for your email.

Yes, we do make Falernum. Unfortunately we do not export it at this stage.
Furthermore, it is forbidden for us to ship alcohol from the island
unaccompanied, and Falernum contains a small amount of alcohol.

I'm sorry I cannot be of more help.

Kind Regards

Lucy E. Ellis
Gosling's Export (Beremuda) Ltd

View Profile of Kreaky Tiki Send a personal message to Kreaky Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-28 9:43 pm   Permalink

Hello!?
http://tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=4712&forum=1&16

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2003-09-19 09:50 am   Permalink

Evidently, the elusive Velvet Falernum is getting closer. Below is an article from yesterday's SF Chronicle. It's the regular cocktail column, which is written in a pretentious & irritating style, but has a good recipe at the end. Try to ignore the ghastly suggestions made during the article:

The Professor, our cocktailian bartender, is a very happy man today. He just signed off on a liquor delivery and three bottles of a new product called Velvet Falernum were in one of the cases. Falernum is a low-alcohol liqueur made with sugarcane and flavored with lime, almonds and cloves among other things. The Boss walks through the door to find The Professor tasting a little falernum from a shot glass.

"Professor, we aren't even open yet, and you're doing shooters. What the heck are you playing at?" he explodes.

"And good morning to you, too, Boss. It's rare to see you in such fine fettle at this hour."

"Yeah, well, I'm having a problem with Regina, the waitress. I threatened to institute a dress code if she keeps wearing those outfits -- she showed up last night looking like a showgirl from Cabaret."

The Boss wanders downstairs to his office, mumbling and grumbling as he goes, and The Professor turns to greet Jen, a bartender from a nearby joint.

"Did the falernum get here?" she asks.

"Sure did. Want a shot?"

Jen takes a sip and the two cocktailians start to discuss how they are going to use it in mixed drinks. The Professor thinks it would work well as an additional ingredient in a Manhattan, and Jen wants to try mixing it with peaty single malts such as Ardbeg, Laphroig or Lagavullin.

"Dale DeGroff sent me this recipe for a drink he calls Velvet Fog," says Jen, pulling her notepad from her bag. "Want to try it?"

"Sure. I hear that he's been doing a great job training bartenders in London, but I sometimes wish he was still behind the stick at New York's Rainbow Room," says The Professor.

The two are in awe of the Velvet Fog. Not only does it have a wonderfully complex palate, the freshly grated nutmeg floating on the cocktail makes it an aromatic masterpiece. The door opens and Regina strides up to the bar, wearing a pill-box hat and looking something like an airline stewardess from the movie "Catch Me If You Can." She asks if the Boss is in the office and disappears downstairs. Jen is just finishing her cocktail when Regina reappears from the office.

"You still work here?" asks The Professor.

"Sure do. Probably for as long as I like. Did I tell you that my dad used to hang out at the bar where the Boss worked back in the '70s?"

"Don't tell me you have something on the Boss, Regina?"

"Not really. Just this picture of him tending bar."

Regina hands a photograph to The Professor who takes a glance, smiles and gives it back.

"Is the Boss wearing some hideous hippy clothes in that picture?" asks Jen.

"No," says Regina. "He isn't wearing a stitch."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Velvet Fog

INGREDIENTS:
1 1/2 ounces Stolichnaya Ohranj vodka

1/2 ounce fresh lime juice

1 ounce Velvet Falernum

1 ounce fresh orange juice

1 dash Angostura bitters

Orange twist, for garnish

Freshly grated nutmeg, for garnish

INSTRUCTIONS:
Shake the vodka, lime juice, Velvet Falernum, orange juice and bitters with ice and strain into a chilled Martini glass.

Hold a lighted match over the glass. Take the orange twist in your other hand and hold it by the sides using your thumb and first two fingers. Make sure the colored side of the twist points toward the drink. Hold the twist over the match and squeeze it to release its oils. The oils will ignite as they leap through the flame, caramelizing before resting atop the drink. Dust with nutmeg.

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2004-01-09 08:33 am   Permalink

***Velvet Falernum is now in San Francisco!!!***

Just picked up three bottles the other day. Haven't made anything with it yet, but I've been drinking plenty of it- it's really tasty, strong lime and clove flavors and quite sweet.

Available at John Walker Liquors (No relation to the "American Taliban") on Sutter St. in downtown SF. He still has three bottles on the shelf, and told me he can order more anytime. They only took a day to arrive.

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twowheelin'tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-09 09:11 am   Permalink

what do you think of it?, I did not dig it at all!.I think the tiki-ti has spoiled me for life.

Kava King
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-09 11:23 am   Permalink

I believe I'll just stick with my Sazerac's...how about you, BK?

View Profile of Kava King Send a personal message to Kava King      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation