FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food velvet falernum, where is it?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
velvet falernum, where is it?
twowheelin'tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-27 6:01 pm   Permalink

The tiki-ti does not use fees bros falernum.......yet. They still have the original stuff from the day that aint john taylors etc-etc.I stated that fees bros was the closest thing he has tasted to the original stuff they have been using for years.

View Profile of twowheelin'tiki Send a personal message to twowheelin'tiki  Email twowheelin'tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KuKuAhu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-27 6:31 pm   Permalink

Isn't the real question: "What were they using for falernum at that particular place and at that particular time when the drink containing it was first mixed and served?"

That may be an impossible question to answer, but is the only real solution to this argument if there is one.

It stands to reason that if a drink was created using Sazerac's syrup, then it should be made with the closest modern equivalent. The same holds true for Velvet Falernum.

I'd assume it safe to suppose that different drinks from different eras likely used a different falernum. In order to truly be this purist about it, we'd have to track down that info.

Given the relative impossibility of that task, can we just mix them with both, choose which one we prefer, and then stick with that? It's the only way to put this whole thing to bed.

As an aside, any of Beachbum's own recipes would be wrong if mixed with Velvet brand, regardless of it's historic authenticity, as Berry used a syrup to create them.

[ This Message was edited by: kukuahu on 2005-05-26 14:13 ]

View Profile of KuKuAhu Send a personal message to KuKuAhu  Email KuKuAhu Goto the website of KuKuAhu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twowheelin'tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-01 6:26 pm   Permalink

well done pele!, when I go to the ti after their vacation, I will find out the name of the "real" stuff they use.

View Profile of twowheelin'tiki Send a personal message to twowheelin'tiki  Email twowheelin'tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KuKuAhu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-03 8:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-03-01 18:26, twowheelin'tiki wrote:
when I go to the ti after their vacation, I will find out the name of the "real" stuff they use.

Please let us know here on the board. I'd be curious to see whether the "old stuff" is a syrup or a rum based spirit. I assume it is a syrup.

Cheers!

[ This Message was edited by: KuKuAhu on 2005-05-26 14:15 ]

View Profile of KuKuAhu Send a personal message to KuKuAhu  Email KuKuAhu Goto the website of KuKuAhu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2004-08-19 9:08 pm   Permalink

Maybe there was a follow up to this in another thread, but I haven't found it. So I'm bumping this up.

Has it been determined what kind of Falernum is used at the Tiki Ti? Syrup or alcohol based?

Additionally, as far as syrups go, can anyone comment on how Da Vinci compares to Fee Bros.?

Thanks!

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Urban Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-20 11:30 am   Permalink

I'm a new member here and just saw this thread (thanks for the bump Hakalugi), and I am also dying to know. I found the whole discussion most interesting and I love how everyone is so passionate about historic authenticity. A very informative debate!

View Profile of Urban Tiki Send a personal message to Urban Tiki  Email Urban Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kava King
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-29 07:00 am   Permalink

Quote:
I still have a bit of the Sazerac brand stuff left. Yes, it is a syrup w/out alchohol and it was made in the U.S.

That's funny, mine (Sazerac's "The Genuine" Falernum) lists the ingredients as: "specially compounded spices, flavors, can sugar, citric acid and ALCOHOL 5%".
Of course, the Velvet Falernum is 11% alcohol or so it says, and for my money every bit as tasty.
Oh, and you can buy it every day except Sunday here in Atlanta, which is (to me) the MOST noticeable difference between it and Sazerac's.
I said MOST- not only, Pablus.
And yes, I still have a bottle with your name on it...

[ This Message was edited by: Kava King on 2004-08-29 07:03 ]

View Profile of Kava King Send a personal message to Kava King      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-30 6:42 pm   Permalink

<<<...said MOST- not only, Pablus.
And yes, I still have a bottle with your name on it...>>>

You're my new best friend.
I'll make a few bottles of my own Falernum and bring them to Hukilau.

Looking forward to seeing you again.
You know... with or without the Sazeracs.

We'll have our own taste test. I'll get some of the Fee Bros. and some of the DaVinci and bring some Taylors too.
And the "pablus" brand.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-09-08 8:17 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-08-29 07:00, Kava King wrote:
Quote:
I still have a bit of the Sazerac brand stuff left. Yes, it is a syrup w/out alchohol and it was made in the U.S.

That's funny, mine (Sazerac's "The Genuine" Falernum) lists the ingredients as: "specially compounded spices, flavors, can sugar, citric acid and ALCOHOL 5%".

I stand corrected. My bottle has the same ingredients. I must not have read the label.

In a taste test of straight Sazerac brand vs. Velvet I prefer the Velvet, mainly because of it's subtle lime flavor, and it's thinner consistency. But either would make a fine drink. Not that this is very relevant since Sazerac brand is discontinued.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-10 11:46 am   Permalink

Falernum(all types) is intriguing to me. Not available in Canada though.
Do you think I would be able to find any in Florida when I'm there for Hukilau? I'd like to bring back some to play around with.

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Ragin' Rarotongan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-11 09:29 am   Permalink

Sorry Tikiwahine, I live in Ft Lauderdale, and I have yet to find any, even in nice, upscale, specialty liquor stores. I saw on this thread that it can be ordered through liquorama.net, but I have yet to order any. I would be interested to try some, as I have never had a drink made with it. Maybe I can make friends with Pablus, seeing that we are both Floridians and all and he can tell me how to make it.

View Profile of The Ragin' Rarotongan Send a personal message to The Ragin' Rarotongan  Email The Ragin' Rarotongan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-13 1:47 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the reply Ragin' Rarotongan!

Good luck with your hunt too, some day we will find success!

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-13 2:53 pm   Permalink

EVERYBODY is my friend.
Except for Flounder.

Liquorama doesn't sell it anymore... or they're out or something. Looks like they're focusing on wines a lot more.

I just got some of the Davinci and the John Taylors from

www.hitimewine.net

and the Fee bros. from

www.surfasonline.com

I'll be bringing them to Hukilau for a taste test against the Sazeracs and my own brand.

See you there.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Rider
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-24 2:12 pm   Permalink

Just found Taylor's Velvet falernum liqueur ($14.99) at the new Bevmo store in Laguna Niguel.
aloha.

View Profile of Tiki Rider Send a personal message to Tiki Rider      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-19 05:01 am   Permalink

OK, so my uhusband saw a cooking show with a special on Barbados and learned about Falernum. He's very excited to try some, and now I must find it... IN CANADA. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say this post will probably garner nothing but silence interespersed with cricket chirps, but anyone know where to get this stuff in the great white north?

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation