Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » decanters
decanters
mymotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-15 10:30 pm   Permalink

what is better ceramic or glass decanters? I had read where leaving alcohol in ceramic decanters destroys the inside. Is that true?

View Profile of mymotiki Send a personal message to mymotiki  Email mymotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wizzard419
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-15 10:44 pm   Permalink

I've not personally heard that, but I would say glass because things like improper glaze, crazing, etc. could compromise the interior of the decanter and create situations that you wouldn't find in a glass or crystal decanter.

View Profile of wizzard419 Send a personal message to wizzard419      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-05-15 11:13 pm   Permalink

I did a thread about if decanters were safe to reuse a while back ( http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=45667&forum=1&hilite=Decanter ) - I just use regular bottles for my syrups

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mymotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-15 11:30 pm   Permalink

Great Info! Thanks! I had already emptied the pisco. dumped it down the drain. did not like it but cleaned it. I have the shag decanter Japanese set with two tiny shot glasses but I was thinking of buying glass decanters. I was looking at bar sites to find some interesting decanters. I wish they made tiki glass shaped decanters.

[ This Message was edited by: mymotiki 2014-05-15 23:31 ]

View Profile of mymotiki Send a personal message to mymotiki  Email mymotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-16 09:08 am   Permalink

I think glass is nicer anyway. I like to see what's inside and feel fancy. That being said, I've actually been selling my decanters because they take up too much space in my bar.

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-16 09:17 am   Permalink

Decanters are nice if you're drinking a sipping liquor, like brandy or cognac. Classier than pouring straight out of the bottle. But if you're just using it to decant your mixes, it seems a little excessive. Unless it's a Mai Tai Joe decanter—then you'd be a fool not to use it.

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-16 10:08 am   Permalink

Whoa, baby, I just looked up prices on the Mai Tai Joe decanter and mug. Yikes! It's definitely a classic.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wizzard419
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-16 11:08 am   Permalink

Yeah, you should never use a decanter for anything lower than 80 proof or viscous, the pour is not right and it would possibly be a bacterial risk.

View Profile of wizzard419 Send a personal message to wizzard419      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation