[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Good form or bad? Etiquette question
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Good form or bad? Etiquette question
TikiTacky
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-05-17 08:26 am   Permalink

I spend a lot of time on eBay (sigh) and often come across some really neat auctions that might be of interest to my fellow TCers. I'm curious whether it would be appreciated for me to post links to the auctions so people can see it, or frowned upon because it may make winning the auction more difficult for those already bidding? Curious to hear people's perspectives.

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-17 09:07 am   Permalink

I'd probably kill you if you posted something that I wanted to buy. So, if you want to die, go ahead.

Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG

Posted: 2014-05-17 09:18 am   Permalink

If it something GROG is selling, then post it. If it something GROG is trying to buy, then DON'T post it. If it something Buzzy is interested in, post at your own risk.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky

Posted: 2014-05-17 09:29 am   Permalink

But what if it was something you wanted to buy that you didn't KNOW about yet? Like that original Mai-Kai Mystery Bowl that's up right now under a really obscure listing, with a $5 starting bid and no reserve?

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2014-05-17 09:29 am   Permalink

I say it's bad, if you know someone looking for a specific thing then send them a PM. Part of the joy of Tiki collecting is the find, if someone can't type in what they're looking for on ebay that's their loss.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-17 10:50 am   Permalink

I have always wondered the same thing Tacky. Boris gets my vote for best answer. If a TCer is selling, they should post a link in Marketplace. If a TCer is bidding, they don't want it posted. And if a TCer wanted to collect that piece they should have been hunting diligently.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky

Posted: 2014-05-17 11:52 am   Permalink

Well at least there's a clear consensus! I'll refrain from posting them, then. Do your own digging!

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-17 3:30 pm   Permalink

If I see an item that I'm not buying but know that so and so would like it or it
would go well in their space would then email that person and say hey check this out.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky

Posted: 2014-05-18 11:32 am   Permalink

To those inquiring: I was joking about the Mai Kai bowl. If I saw one for $5, I'd be posting it in Tiki Finds!

ErichTroudt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-18 12:00 pm   Permalink

Having been here since before there was a tiki central and it was a yahoo message board, I can tell you that in the past that I've seen people post auctions that weren't theirs and people give them grief for it because they brought attention to something they wanted... You won't get any thank you's, just anger... at least that's how its always been.

the famous preached tiki central "ohana" doesn't stretch into ebay auctions and collecting....

View Profile of ErichTroudt Send a personal message to ErichTroudt  Email ErichTroudt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-18 12:18 pm   Permalink

Well it is all about human nature
and the very nature of an "Auction" is competition
the prize is acquiring a wanted item or even just winning the competition
many people will do anything to win, it is in our nature & goes back to a time
when people would engage in combat to win something, it had very little to do with etiquette or morals.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG

Posted: 2014-05-18 1:17 pm   Permalink

ATP posting on a thread about etiquette--- now THAT's funny!!

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-18 1:39 pm   Permalink

I'll teach you how to use a fork & knife properly, Grog
then you might get invited to more BBQs & a

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky

Posted: 2014-05-18 1:52 pm   Permalink

I saw an old thread on here where someone felt they got stiffed on a mug from another member and it turned UGLY. Like, lose faith in humanity ugly. I guess all's fair in love, war, and tiki collecting. I don't want to incur that wrath!

Maybe what we need is an "I'm looking for..." thread where people can say what it is they're looking for and other members who come across it but aren't interested themselves can let them know.

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-18 2:04 pm   Permalink

Now that's a good idea....

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation