FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music good luau party music?
good luau party music?
liltikichef
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-05-22 10:50 pm   Permalink

Hey guys I need some help. I am planning a tiki/luau themed pool party for the 4th of July, and I need some advice/ideas on some good music playlists that goes with the theme. Not all of the guests are "tikiphiles", so I don't want to go too exotic, yet I still want that feel. Doing Kahlua pig, some punches, and a bunch of different recipes i found on the tiki food thread, so I'm kinda going all out on this. Any input would be a big help! Mahalo! !

View Profile of liltikichef Send a personal message to liltikichef      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aloha.taboo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-23 02:33 am   Permalink

One of my favorites: http://www.mountainapplecompany.com/artists/hapa/hapa

View Profile of aloha.taboo Send a personal message to aloha.taboo  Email aloha.taboo Goto the website of aloha.taboo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrzahta

Posted: 2014-05-23 06:22 am   Permalink

I think all the Tikiyaki Orchestra CDs are a perfect soundtrack for that kind of situation, because it's not too weird or strange and a lovely introduction to exotica for non-tikiphiles listeners.

View Profile of mrzahta Send a personal message to mrzahta  Goto the website of mrzahta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
liltikichef
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-05-24 5:38 pm   Permalink

Thanks! I'll check those out

View Profile of liltikichef Send a personal message to liltikichef      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-25 06:41 am   Permalink

LilTikiChef! Good to hear from you
Exotica is very cool for setting a relaxed mood but I don't think anyone outside of Tiki Central associates it with a Luau. You might was to add in some Don Ho, Izzy, Keali'i Reichel, maybe some Tahitian Drums.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
liltikichef
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-06-10 08:14 am   Permalink

Thanks for the suggestions MadDogMike!

Hibiscus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-10 09:18 am   Permalink

Ditto to Hapa, Iz and Tikiyaki Orchestra!

If you're mixing it up with tiki folks and non-tiki folks, here are a few other suggestions:

Vintage/Retro vibe:

"You're at a Luau Now" - Mel Peterson
"Rock-a-Hula Baby" - Elvis
"One Paddle Two Paddle - The Surfers
"Hawaiian War Chant" - The Percussion All-Stars
Almost any good surf music, like "Ka'anapali Road Trip" - The Fabulous Po Boys, etc.

Tahitian/Polynesian contemporary:

"Pate Pate" - Te Vaka (actually, check out any upbeat stuff by them - they also have some GREAT drumming solos)
"Tahiti Tahiti" - Na Wai Ho'olulu O Ke Anuenue

Hawaiian:

"It's Aloha Friday (No Work 'til Monday) - Kimo Kahoano and Paul Natto OR Nathan Aweau's version
"E Komo Mai" - Barefoot Natives
"Ulili e" - Gabby Pahinui
"A-L-O-H-A" - The Mana'o Company
"Kalapana Way" - Quino

Maybe throw in some Jawaiian by Fiji or Marty Dread or the like if you like that reggae vibe.

These are not meant to be tikiphile purist tunes, of course, but for a mixed group it's nice to have a little something for everyone.

Sounds like it'll be a fun time! Enjoy!

View Profile of Hibiscus Send a personal message to Hibiscus      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation