FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Please help Identify! Is this Witco?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Please help Identify! Is this Witco?
tikicoma
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-27 11:46 pm   Permalink

You know Punkster the people who replied don't seem to be flipping out about this person being another profiteer. I suspect they may have thought that that was the case when they replied, as I did. So screw him(?) we gave him enough rope and he hung himself. If you think it's just another person out for profit don't bother to give them an answer, if someone chooses to give them an answer, accept that it's their choice and I suspect their own senses are as good as yours.

aloha, tikicoma

View Profile of tikicoma Send a personal message to tikicoma      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-05-27 11:52 pm   Permalink

Dear sir or madam,

I have been reading on this board for many years but this is my first post. I recently inherited this piece and am curious whether it is Watco and if so what a fair price might be on eba...I mean for insurance purposes? Thank you.

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG

Posted: 2014-05-28 12:07 am   Permalink

TikiTacky is the new Woofmutt. The only difference is that woofy would have started a new thread in bilge with the exact same thing TikiTacky posted.

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErichTroudt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-28 12:56 am   Permalink

Until the posting rules defines that its not cool to ask for info and value strictly for profit, then technically they aren't in the wrong doing so. They probably don't read the rules anyway, but at least it would be covered.

also, I suppose the the guy could of been considering buy this off ebay and used the ebay auction images to ask (I didn't check the dates to see the timeline, so maybe not)

Yes ignoring them would work, but a stock cut and paste answer that everyone could agree to use would be much more polite...

"We here at Tiki Central tend to not give out information or value on items to new members. Please use the introduction thread to tell us about yourself first. Once you are established over a period of time, you'll find people that are willing to discuss this topic with you."

or something of the like.....

one could be made along the same lines for the topic of new people posting stuff that isn't considered tiki....

Maybe it would save a newbie with good intentions rather than run him off... which we've all seen happen.

Then again, a stock cut and paste polite answer would rob certain people the chance of being keyboard tough guys and self proclaimed a-holes, and what would they do then?

View Profile of ErichTroudt Send a personal message to ErichTroudt  Email ErichTroudt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-28 01:30 am   Permalink

This sounds like a good idea to me.....

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG

Posted: 2014-05-28 01:53 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-05-28 00:56, ErichTroudt wrote:
I suppose the the guy could of been considering buy this off ebay

Could have or could've----not could of.-----The Spelling Police.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-28 02:00 am   Permalink

Although he may not believe me i agree with ATP the majority of the time, it's just how he goes about things i don't agree with, but on this one i'm with him 100%, that sounds like a good idea to me too ErichTroudt.

Maybe a new thread could be started to discuss what "stock cut and paste answer" could be used that everyone could vote on to decide a winner, although i think the one you wrote in your post pretty much nailed it. Possibly it could also mention the reasons as to why.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-28 05:34 am   Permalink

I always kind of took it for granted that if a first time poster is saying "hey I found this tiki
thing and was just wondering what it's worth" That this is a person just wanting to flip said item
and make a quick buck.

"So if I go back to being blunt with these types of profiteers, you guys will not jump all over me?"
The person who comes here and wants to stay should be able to say "no really I like tiki and
was dumb enough to buy this I am still learning thanks for your help"

As well the guy who is coming here to make a buck should also know that he is just trying to
get info so he can make a quick buck and if he gets ripped for doing so should think "hey can't blame them for ripping me for trying to use them and their knowledge for my gain"

We don't want to lose new good tiki folk, But this guy was sneaky about his intent.

These Witco carvings would look good on the restroom doors of a Swiss Chalet restaurant.
Take them to Swiss Chalet Central they might want to buy them there.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
howlinowl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-28 07:45 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-05-26 17:25, hottiki wrote:
$40.00

I like how he notes in the description how the "Tiki Forum" looked at them and said they were Witco. However, he fails to state that the "Tiki Forum" also stated they were worth $40.00 and has them up for $300.00. There is a make offer button, if it wouldn't commit me to purchaseing, I'd be half tempted to offer the 40 bucks, stating that the "Tiki Forum" said so. I mean, if you're gonna state their Witco per the forum, then they're also worth $40 bucks per the forum.

howlinowl

View Profile of howlinowl Send a personal message to howlinowl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Toli
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-05-28 07:48 am   Permalink

I'll bite, I collect Witco and to me these are at the bottom of the desirability range. If I saw them in the thrift store for 40 I would hesitate buying them, but for 40 dollars well I'm a Witco whore so yeah I would buy them at that price. Any higher no way. I would say market value is 25-50 each including shipping. If someone offers you 80 bucks I'd say take it. At first I'm sure you were excited thinking you hit Witco Gold, but are bummed out now after realizing you have Khloe Kardashian(The Ugly One) instead of Kim. I feel kind of bad for you so I went ahead and gave you a sympathy best offer bid of 5 dollars.

View Profile of Tiki Toli Send a personal message to Tiki Toli      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky

Posted: 2014-05-28 08:34 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-05-28 00:07, GROG wrote:
TikiTacky is the new Woofmutt. The only difference is that woofy would have started a new thread in bilge with the exact same thing TikiTacky posted.

Yay! Wait, is that a good thing? If I'm gonna be like someone, I want to be like someone COOL. Is Woofmutt COOL? If not, who is someone COOL I can be like?

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-28 08:56 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-05-27 23:52, TikiTacky wrote:
Dear sir or madam,

I have been reading on this board for many years but this is my first post. I recently inherited this piece and am curious whether it is Watco and if so what a fair price might be on eba...I mean for insurance purposes? Thank you.

Do you have any better pictures? It could be watco, but its hard to be sure with just the one shot. As for a fair price? I am thinking a dollar and three ninety-eight for an average, but if you get the picture staged a bit better you could probably get a bit more.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-28 08:56 am   Permalink

Didn't mean to repeat myself.... stupid technology with stupid buttons.

[ This Message was edited by: Chip and Andy 2014-05-28 08:57 ]

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ukutiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-28 09:12 am   Permalink

Can you odentify type of wood?

View Profile of ukutiki Send a personal message to ukutiki  Email ukutiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
happy buddha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-28 09:44 am   Permalink

Man I wish I was on Swiss Chalet Central right now.

View Profile of happy buddha Send a personal message to happy buddha  Goto the website of happy buddha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation