FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Please help Identify! Is this Witco?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Please help Identify! Is this Witco?
TikiVato
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-10-05 11:20 am   Permalink

I picked up these two pieces last night from the same person. I know the ship is Witco but the other I haven't seen before. I searched the other Witco forums but couldn't find one, Maybe I missed it? The back of it is hand printed T-50.

TikiVato

View Profile of TikiVato Send a personal message to TikiVato  Email TikiVato     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-10-05 11:30 am   Permalink

The urn piece looks crude even by Witco standards to me. I believe the frame is not Witco for sure in my view. Hopefully someone can give you a bit more info the I can. Love the ship though.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-10-07 8:27 pm   Permalink

The Owl and the Pussycat, Witco? Found at the local thrift store.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-10-07 11:06 pm   Permalink

I don't think so Dusty, I have seen many of those cats around, but none were Witco
but that doesn't mean Witco did not make any cat visages.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Holler Waller
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-12-13 11:01 am   Permalink

SO, a little clarification on flipping please. Would you consider it buying only with an intent to instantly sell for more $$, buying and then selling later on (day-month-3 years...) for whatever reason at the original price or a highly marked up price? There are many items on Ooga that are more than original price. And as for solutions, Munktiki sometimes has a buy one only policy on their limited items. Do other sites/bars? Anyway I really only wanted to know what y'all consider "flipping."

View Profile of Holler Waller Send a personal message to Holler Waller      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-12-13 3:10 pm   Permalink

To me personally, flipping is buying something with the intent to sell it at a marked up price, regardless of time frame, although more so straight away, especially with new items. The Tiki Ti cobra mug by Tiki Diablo is the best and most recent example. The original cost of that particular mug is $75 and yet because the first few that went online (within days of it being released) sold for around the $200 mark, now everybody who is selling that mug online is asking about the same price.
There is a particular member of this site, who i won't name, that if you go through his post history, the only time he posts on this forum is to sell you something at an inflated price because he has access to it when many others don't so he takes advantage of that and 'says' he's doing it for the members here when all he's really doing is trying to make money for himself.
Buying something and putting $20-30 on top of the cost price and postage costs to cover your time running around and shipping it out is one thing, but asking double the asking price (and more a lot of the time) is just plain greed.
Munktiki still have their one per person policy but that still doesn't stop people from reselling the mug at a much higher cost just because they were fortunate enough to be able to snap that mug up before a 'true' collector had the chance and then exploit that fact for their own benefit.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle Goto the website of swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
keigs20
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-12-18 4:41 pm   Permalink

It's called "Tea Pot" #t-50 and that looks to be the original frame Witco used for this piece. Although not your common Witco frame.
Quote:

On 2015-10-05 11:20, TikiVato wrote:
I picked up these two pieces last night from the same person. I know the ship is Witco but the other I haven't seen before. I searched the other Witco forums but couldn't find one, Maybe I missed it? The back of it is hand printed T-50.

View Profile of keigs20 Send a personal message to keigs20  Email keigs20 Goto the website of keigs20     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2016-01-22 2:42 pm   Permalink

Not something I'd ever care to own but spotted this on CL with the description "VINTAGE solid wood sculpture, 4 FOOT WIDE, for a man cave bar, etc. very cool, has 6 candlestick holders, has a king in the middle and horses on the side like the marlboro emblem, LOL"

Sure looks Witco to me. Why couldn't this clueless idiot have a piece I actually want?!

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker

Posted: 2016-01-22 2:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-10-07 20:27, Dustycajun wrote:
The Owl and the Pussycat, Witco? Found at the local thrift store.

DC

I found this seal a while back that could be a good companion to that cat on the right.

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-01-22 2:51 pm   Permalink

Well, I wouldn't say they're an idiot. But I get your point. It is nice to find something you love for a sweet price when the seller doesn't know as much as you "the informed buyer".

[ This Message was edited by: 8FT Tiki 2016-02-05 06:46 ]

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DixonAlibi

Posted: 2016-07-21 3:26 pm   Permalink

This just popped up on craigslist. Anyone know anything about it?
http://eugene.craigslist.org/hsh/5687210916.html

View Profile of DixonAlibi Send a personal message to DixonAlibi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-07-21 5:50 pm   Permalink

Looks right to my eye. Classic Witco frame. Carving and paint all look right. Nice piece and a great price in my opinion but I'm not an expert.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-09-07 3:01 pm   Permalink

Colors don't look right to be Wtco. Anyone?

Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-09-07 7:30 pm   Permalink

The carving looks pretty crappy, too, even for Witco standards. I would not bother.

I have repeatedly stated that just because something is Witco, it does not mean it must be good. If it is not Tiki or modernist Witco, most of it is uninteresting. These King and Queen wall carvings are one of those standard items that have been up on e-bay countless times:

They might have been a good seller back then, but not all that has been made in the mid-century is gold. Bill Westenhaver would be the first to agree.

But you know that, Buzzy. If you are just asking for resale reasons, and the stuff is dirt cheap and you can make a profit - fine

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2016-09-07 23:07 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicoma
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2017-05-15 9:32 pm   Permalink

Its painted and looks like an amateur copy but.. is it Witco or just "after" the Polynesian Fishing God?
Beside a Witco at Chef Shangri-la for reference.

View Profile of tikicoma Send a personal message to tikicoma      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation