FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Vamp's Ergonomic Study for Carvers (survey available, just pm me your email address)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Vamp's Ergonomic Study for Carvers (survey available, just pm me your email address)
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-28 08:21 am   Permalink

I took it right?

I have the worst memory...

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 8 days ago; 11:07 pm   Permalink

Bumping this thread back, after a year!
I the past year, I found a used jawhorse on Craigslist, and have started using it more and more. And just recently, I found a used B+D workmate, also on Craigslist, and am learning how versatile it can be. Both need some custom modifications to really work for me, and I'm contemplating what they will be.
When I use either, I am very aware how much more safe I'm working, compared to being on the ground holding the logs with my feet(!), so this thread has had a positive effect!
Marlene, anything ever result from the survey? Pretty sure I took it, but my memory, like Jeff's, isn't the best.

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 3 days ago; 07:09 am   Permalink

4WD - I used a Workmate for a while, but I'm too tall and it was too short. WillCarve came up with a carving platform that is versatile and ergonomic. Create 4 stacks of cement blocks, 3-5 blocks high (depending on how tall you are), place 8' 4x4 stringers across the stacked blocks (the stringers are held in place by inserting 2x4s into the stacked blocks, this also helps the blocks stay aligned and prevents the logs from rolling off). This simple system allows you to bring the log up to a desired height and also allows the log to roll back and forth giving you access to all sides. It can be left outside without fear of rusting away. The hard part is raising the logs up to the platform.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2015 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation