Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Making syrups with distilled water
Making syrups with distilled water
Ebb Tide
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-05-24 06:37 am   Permalink

I have noticed many of the books mention various homemade syrups (sugar, cinnamon, etc) will keep in the fridge for 2 or 3 weeks or so. I am making them with distilled water and find they last many Months in the fridge no problem...do not notice any spoiling at all. Recommended ?

View Profile of Ebb Tide Send a personal message to Ebb Tide  Email Ebb Tide     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
howlinowl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-24 07:21 am   Permalink

Distilled water couldn't hurt. How much syrup do you make in a batch? Between cocktails and using the simple and cinnamon syrups for lemonade, mine usually last less than a week. I make a cup of each, keep them in the fridge in empty beer bottles, using Niquil measuring cups as makeshift caps (handy, I just use them to measure what I need for a glass, rinse and replace it on top. I've heard that I could store them outside the fridge since I go through it so fast, but since I can't close them up airtight, I'm afraid I might get ants.

howlinowl

View Profile of howlinowl Send a personal message to howlinowl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wizzard419
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-24 09:24 am   Permalink

The advice would still be the same as your tap water should still have no pathogens or bacteria in it, plus you boil it (unless you're doing the cold method).

The only way to extend the shelf-life would be to add alcohol to the finished product, so if you want to pour some vodka in that can help.

View Profile of wizzard419 Send a personal message to wizzard419      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation