[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Happy Buddha - Rose's Lime substitute
Happy Buddha - Rose's Lime substitute
Destro100
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-25 08:09 am   Permalink

Hey Folks,

I'm looking to try the Happy Buddha from Beachbum's Remixed but have hit a slight snag. The Happy Buddha calls for Roses Lime Cordial. I would prefer not to have to go out and buy this if it can be avoided. Does anyone have any substitutions that would work in this drink?

Thanks

View Profile of Destro100 Send a personal message to Destro100      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
happy buddha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-25 10:37 am   Permalink

My ears are burning!!

Just use fresh lime juice & a good sugar or gum syrup as a sub for roses.

View Profile of happy buddha Send a personal message to happy buddha  Goto the website of happy buddha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wizzard419
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-25 11:43 am   Permalink

Yeah, that's probably the best. I've not tried the cordial but if it has a strong lime scent without a sour flavor (if someone has tried it they might be able to confirm this) then what you could do is make your own by soaking lime zest in Simple/Rich syrup (add vodka after you're done if you want to give it some shelf life).

View Profile of wizzard419 Send a personal message to wizzard419      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-25 12:02 pm   Permalink

For what it's worth, Rose's Lime a Cordial is cheap, and can be used in a number of drinks. It's an artificial lime sweetener, basically. A bottle only cost a few dollars.

If you feel the need to make your own, here's a recipe:
http://cocktails.about.com/od/makeyourownmixers/r/lime_cordial.htm

Total cost will be more than buying the Rose's.

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTacky 2014-05-25 12:04 ]

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-27 09:23 am   Permalink

Rose's also works for the original Suffering Bastard - I think it meshes well with the Ginger beer

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Destro100
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-02 05:39 am   Permalink

I gave in and picked it up. I don't love it. It works fine in the Happy Buddha, but I don't see much use for it going forward.

View Profile of Destro100 Send a personal message to Destro100      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-02 07:53 am   Permalink

I've also never had much love for the Rose's lime products. They historically worked well to ward off scurvy. But if you don't have limes, and you need a substitute, it's understandable that you would press these Rose's products into service. That's part of the fun in the challenge of dealing with a product shortage.

Key Lime Cocktail!

Lime bars!

The lime face!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation