FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events The Hukilau 2014 - Volunteering Opportunities
The Hukilau 2014 - Volunteering Opportunities
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-30 12:36 pm   Permalink

Just a quick message to let everyone know that we still have a few selected shifts available and, if you haven't yet gotten your passes, volunteering can get you a pretty sweet deal on the coveted Aloha Pass (Volunteer 2 hrs. = 25% off, 4hrs. = 50% off, 6hrs = one FREE Aloha Pass) for the whole weekend.

Drop me a line at
volunteer@TheHukilau.com

Mahalo in advance!

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-02 09:19 am   Permalink

What Hukilau? It hasn't even been announced here on Tiki Central. It's happening in 2014?

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-07 10:59 pm   Permalink

I guess everyone gets their news from Facebook and Twitter these days, much to the chagrin of us grumpy old men. For those who don't, my latest blog post on The Hukilau pretty much covers everything you need to know ...

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2014/05/31/the-hukilau-says-aloha-but-not-goodbye-adds-more-entertainment-to-lineup-for-june-11-15-event/

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-08 04:20 am   Permalink

I like the *concepts* of Facebook and Twitter. But I hate that they are so real-time. Some of us have busy lives and can't sit there and monitor the feeds, or keep coming back to dig backwards through whatever activity happened within the past 24 hours. That's one of the reasons I love TC so much - it fits my lifestyle very well and works very well.

Now if I could only simplify my and gain more time. But I'm not ready to lose my woman and live under a bridge...

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-09 12:59 am   Permalink

Agreed. I follow so many different newsy topics, I need to keep up with Facebook daily. And it has become a giant time-suck. Its saving grace is the ability to share photos so easily. But the flow of information is so fleeting. Nothing beats the depth of a message board like TC.

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-09 9:07 pm   Permalink

Sven said a few Years back, FB would kill TC and other online forums.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-10 07:17 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-06-09 21:07, bigtikidude wrote:
Sven said a few Years back, FB would kill TC and other online forums.

Jeff(btd)

A few years ago I might have agreed. Then FB started choking their content. A few years ago, when I posted on my blog, it automatically went to FB and got sent to ALL my friends. That was good and I thought, why will anyone subscribe to my blog? All the content is over here.

Then the auto-post option went away. Then my posts started going to less than 10% of my followers unless I paid up what would amount to $20,000 a year or more!

And at least on myspace you could get a "view posts since I was last here" sort of thing.

Now, back to the core. It is still best to maintain a website and a blog. It is still best to subscribe to the blogs you like.

Email lists are good too, but, I just sent out to my list of 178 and at least 25% bounced back due to some sort of spam engine.

And now, in order to try to get word out about the new mug I am reduced to "spamming" FB. Post it here and there and there and here again and hope that eventually everyone sees it somehow... Please notice my signature. Please.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-10 09:26 am   Permalink

For what it's worth, Tiki Central is where I would always tune in to hear about Hukilau, and I'm bummed about the lack of presence here this year. Someone at least post a picture or video of Pablus (my ukulele spirit guide) playing please.

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-11 06:25 am   Permalink

I took some pics at the Molokai Bar last night, I'll post a few. I'm sure I'll be taking more pics over the next few days. Really we should post under the 2014 Hukilau thread and not here.

Since this is a "volunteer" thread, I volunteer to share some of my Hukilau 2014 pics!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-12 11:25 pm   Permalink

A few shots of Beachbum Berry's symposium. Was it really his ninth year at The Hukilau?

And lots more info on what the lazy Bum has been up to lately:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2014/06/11/returning-to-the-hukilau-jeff-berry-proves-hes-never-too-busy-to-be-a-beachbum/

Holler Waller
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-21 8:22 pm   Permalink

Thanks for volunteerin' Ace, and when you find that Hukilau 2014 thread, shoot us the link

View Profile of Holler Waller Send a personal message to Holler Waller      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 18 days ago; 12:40 am   Permalink

I don't think there's an official thread to post photos, so I'll happily volunteer some more here, including a link to nearly 50 that I posted up on flickr:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/28078283@N05/sets/72157645008150739

Nani Maka with The Sweet Hollywaiians on Friday night at The Bahia Mar.

Harold Golen (left) with Derek Yaniger and his print that pays tribute to the late Bunny Yeager on Saturday at the Bahia Mar.

Crazy Al and the inspiration for his Molokai Maiden tribute mug during happy hour at The Mai-Kai on Saturday.

Beachbum Berry and Steve Yamada (head bartender at Latitude 29) enjoy a Mystery Drink during dinner at The Mai-Kai on Saturday.

Angie Pontani presents Mai-Kai owner Dave Levy with a mystery dance, with a little help from Crazy Al, during Saturday night's Main Event.

Tiki Kiliki introduces her new partners, Richard (left) and Mike, during Saturday night's Main Event.

Also, Go11Events has posted tons of galleries with hundreds of photos on its official site:
http://go11media.smugmug.com/Hukilau/2014

Over on RetroRenovation.com, there are two great galleries and stories:
http://retrorenovation.com/2014/06/18/hukilau-fort-lauderdale-photos/
http://retrorenovation.com/2014/06/19/mai-kai-tiki-bar/

And the local New Times newspaper posted this nice gallery:
http://www.browardpalmbeach.com/slideshow/hukilau-2014-at-mai-kai-in-fort-lauderdale-41332726/

Thortiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 17 days ago; 04:48 am   Permalink

Thanks for the SWELL new pics, gives folks a chance to check out Tiki event happenings!

View Profile of Thortiki Send a personal message to Thortiki  Goto the website of Thortiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation