FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » Hilton Hawaiian Village, Waikiki, HI (hotel)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Hilton Hawaiian Village, Waikiki, HI (hotel)
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-01 10:01 am   Permalink

Wow, wow and WOW, Randy and DC! This is like the old TC, and what it always was supposed to be about: EYE CANDY! And thanks to TikiTACKY (?) for inspiring this avalanche of images. Comparing the early Hawaiian Village huts to the later modern high rise is THE best comparison between the classic Polynesian pop Hawaii a la Don The Beachcomber and its sanitized later version.

Like Ace Explorer said, tastes change…

Here's some of Mimi's Makahiki menu material ( ) from a menu I just won (sorry guys if you bidd):

They had a Hawaiian Eye sandwich

The Shell Bar in the show as shown by Randy was of course a set on the Warner Brothers lot:

(Dang!: My post just turned the page, a page which must be the one of greatest galleries of visuals here!
I feel like erasing it, but then it will happen sooner or later anyway)

GO BACK TO THE PREVIOUS PAGE to revel in its horn of visual plenty!

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2014-06-01 10:15 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-01 10:21 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-06-01 10:01, bigbrotiki wrote:
Wow, wow and WOW, Randy and DC! This is like the old TC, and what it always was supposed to be about: EYE CANDY!

The Shell Bar in the show as shown above by Randy was of course a set on the Warner Brothers lot

Bigbro,

Thanks and I agree with you - we need more eye candy on TC these days. Nice score on the menu.

But I have to disagree with your assessment that the Shell Bar photo that Randy posted was from a Hollywood set.

This is the same photo from the original Hawaiian Village brochure I have that was published way before Hawaiian Eye show started. It was originally called the Pu Pu Bar.

Do you know if the show was ever shot in the real Shell Bar at the Hawaiian Village? Like for this scene with Arthur Lyman? Or was Lyman flown in to LA for the episode?

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-01 11:34 am   Permalink

Hey everybody,
Yes, a little more vintage poly pop is refreshing - thanks DC and bigbro for keeping it going here and elsewhere. Couple more quick comments.

Reflecting on it, I went back to the bookshelf to see if I could find the book that had some of the photos I scanned sometime in the past. A bunch are from the book "The View from Diamond Head" by Don Hibbard and David Franzen. Only a small part is the poly pop era that we all love, but there's still a lot of great stuff in that book and it's pretty find-able.

Anyway, sure enough, the photo credit for that one of the Shell Bar is Robert Wenkam, along with a bunch of the others. I think at least that one is pretty definitely from the Hawaiian Village, and not a set. Interestingly the caption for that photo in the book calls it the Barefoot Bar, but I think that's a little name mixup with another well known Waikiki place (over at the Queen's Surf).

About image hosting, one reason I use my own is because TC's max image width is 640, and if you have something bigger it shrinks it down. A lot of times I like to post something a little bigger, especially when there's a nice crisp original where the detail is good to see.

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-06-01 12:27 pm   Permalink

An aforementioned Terra Ceramics mug:

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-01 4:29 pm   Permalink

That brings us to the Hilton Hawaiian Village mugs chapter. The awesome array of crypto mugs used at the HHV are displayed on this menu from my collection.

There were a few more mugs later, including this Tiki.

And these...

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-06-01 4:45 pm   Permalink

I remember seeing the Suffering Haole glass in the Crypto-Legends thread; what a beauty! Any idea on the age of the menu? I'd guess mid- to late-60s, based on prices and design?

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-01 5:49 pm   Permalink

DC, sure Artie was flown in…or maybe he was just gigging at Latitude 20 or the Bali Hai . Never meant that bar you guys posted, just the shots from the show: I know a set if I see one: Just a bunch of bamboo-framed rattan and Tapa set pieces. Looks like the real thing because Tiki bars were built like film sets to begin with.

Even the swimming pool exterior was a set:

How about the shirt with the Hawaiian Village mugs ?

I've seen that as a dress, too.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2014-06-01 18:01 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-02 01:26 am   Permalink

On 2014-06-01 11:34, aquarj wrote:
About image hosting, one reason I use my own is because TC's max image width is 640, and if you have something bigger it shrinks it down. A lot of times I like to post something a little bigger, especially when there's a nice crisp original where the detail is good to see.

Randy, thanks for the explanation on image hosting, that makes sense. In today's day and age of faster and more-capable computers, it would be great for TC to update photo posting to accommodate the feature you outlined. It would be great to make the images post at 640, but clickable so that we can see the original size and resolution if we so desire.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thortiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-02 02:57 am   Permalink

TERRIFIC historic pics & content thanks to all who posted. This IS a TC thread worth bookmarking!

View Profile of Thortiki Send a personal message to Thortiki  Goto the website of Thortiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-02 09:16 am   Permalink

Our Mai-Kai connection...

I just bought that brochure today! Looks great.

Kaiser stole everything he could from Donn Beach. Paid out the nose to get Alfred Apaka.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-02 12:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-06-02 09:16, Swanky wrote:

Kaiser stole everything he could from Donn Beach. Paid out the nose to get Alfred Apaka.

So this is really interesting or, more to the point, ironic. This image is from my Hawaiian Village brochure and is meant to advertise the Luaus that were held at the complex.

The funny thing is, it is a photo of Donn Beach at one of his Luaus at the International Market Place Don the Beachcomber restaurant – you can even see his Tiki in the background left. Kaiser really did steal everything he could from Donn!!

DC

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation