[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki A gift question
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
A gift question
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-07 05:01 am   Permalink

I have family members that are addicted to garage sales, flea markets and antique stores. Over the years they have found some very good finds for me and some very bad ones. My aunt always brings me things and says "if it don't fit throw it away". I always take everything with a smile and I am genuinely happy to have it because once in a while they find a diamond in the coal pile. The more urban archaeologists in the field means more finds

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Holler Waller
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-07 4:49 pm   Permalink

a tiki bar sign in glitter on an oversized novelty bottle cap - Gaaaaa!! A "wall of shame" Haaa ha ha ha! Some, I put up & some I put out- I did have a Flintstones looking day glow rock (lit from inside) that had "tiki bar" written on it gifted to me; sorry, it's gone.

[ This Message was edited by: Holler Waller 2014-06-08 07:41 ]

View Profile of Holler Waller Send a personal message to Holler Waller      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-08 08:47 am   Permalink

This won't help with the gifts you've already received, but here's an idea that might help, going forward.

Collect and print pictures of other bars that you find attractive, and that represent the direction you want to go, in your own design and decor. The 'Home Tiki Bars' thread could probably furnish plenty of pictures, for a start. Maybe have them printed as 4x6 photos at Walmart, instead of on printer paper, so they'll be nice and vivid.
As you collect the pictures, put them in plastic sheet protectors, in a notebook, and keep it at your bar. Share it with your guests, telling them this is your "inspiration book", the direction you dream of taking your own bar decor, over time. Mention what you like about what they're seeing, and contrast it with the "bad plastic flourescent tiki" of Party City, etc. Keep adding new pictures, over time, and maybe also keep adding some "cocktail recipes of the month" you want to feature for your bar, so they'll revisit the notebook. Maybe they'll start to get "the vision", and their future contributions will fit in, better.

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation