[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Recipe: Molokai Maiden
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Recipe: Molokai Maiden
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-06 6:34 pm   Permalink

Goslings is the only way to make a proper Dark and Stormy, for sure, and is serviceable for most dtinks calling for a rich dark rum. I will choose it over Myer's 10 time out of 10. And before Ed Hamilton resurrected LH151 the Gosling's 151 was the closest sub I could find.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-06 7:38 pm   Permalink

For what it's worth, Myers is a common ingredient named in many of the old recipes. Not sure how much it's changed over time, but my feeling is if a brand is mentioned by name it's the one to go with for accuracy (which is always the best place to start). Make it "right," then adjust it to suit your individual "I'm a precious snowflake" needs.

That why I drench my citrus in DDT before I use it; I try to be as accurate as possible. I guess I'm a tiki hipster. Now, where the hell am I going to find a flannel aloha shirt to go with my ironic beard?!

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wizzard419
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-06 7:53 pm   Permalink

Oh, you have a beard? What's her name?

View Profile of wizzard419 Send a personal message to wizzard419      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-06 7:58 pm   Permalink

While I agree with you in principle, TikiTacki, easy, snarky response to "go with the brand identified by name" is: Gordon's? Kina Lillet? Rose's Lime Cordial? Bacardi??

Lots of venerated brands have been reformulated so much over time that now it would be a disservice to a classic cocktail to use the bramds originally called for.

I don't know that this is the case in regard to Myer's, but at the same time I am not convinced of how many truly authentic recipes called for Myer's versus the ilater iterations that called for it because it was the only acceptable alternative available. A look at the mid-century rum ads confirms that there was a great variety of dark Jamaican rums to choose from, like Dagger and A slew of offerings from Wray and Nephew that must have been stellar. I think Myer's was just one of the pack, but as that pack thinned out it bacame the default dark Jamaican rum because there weren't other options.

I cut my rum teeth on Myer's and don't dismiss its usefulness entirely. I'm just not convinced its cough syrup one-dimensionality is representative of what the classic Tiki recipes really used.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-06 8:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-06-06 19:53, wizzard419 wrote:
Oh, you have a beard? What's her name?

Myers is called for quite a bit in Trader Vic's Book of Food and Drink. He was enough of a stickler for details that I doubt it was simply because it was the only thing available. But, as I mentioned, who knows how it's changed over time?

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTacky 2014-06-06 20:08 ]

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTacky 2014-06-06 20:10 ]

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wizzard419
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-06 8:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-06-06 19:58, Sunny&Rummy wrote:

I cut my rum teeth on Myer's and don't dismiss its usefulness entirely. I'm just not convinced its cough syrup one-dimensionality is representative of what the classic Tiki recipes really used.

That is hard to say, the food in that era was absolute shit (with some exceptions), and even then there wasn't as huge a focus on process for spirits as there is now. The idea of a store stocking hundreds of varieties of a single spirit would be far-fetched to say the lease.

View Profile of wizzard419 Send a personal message to wizzard419      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation