[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki The Tiki Bowl Thread
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
The Tiki Bowl Thread
Or Got Rum?
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-19 2:15 pm   Permalink

Very nice photos from Tepco...Thanks Tattoo. OGR

View Profile of Or Got Rum? Send a personal message to Or Got Rum?      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-21 9:06 pm   Permalink

Digging this thread, Tattoo, thanks for starting it up! I'm not too familiar with the history of bowls, though I am a fan of them!

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pakalui

Posted: 2014-07-22 06:08 am   Permalink

Yeah, this is really informative. I've seen some Trader Vic's and Kahiki bowls before, but the variety in the others is stunning. Great thread, thanks for posting!

View Profile of Pakalui Send a personal message to Pakalui  Goto the website of Pakalui     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-23 8:17 pm   Permalink

Quote:

...and there are Maori-made designs too:

Aloha,

fun thread. Although, I think the Maori vessel is called a "feather" or "treasure" box. Used to hold, ornaments not drinks.

Here's some in the British Museum.

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tattoo
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-23 9:47 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-07-23 20:17, Phillip Roberts wrote:

Aloha,

fun thread. Although, I think the Maori vessel is called a "feather" or "treasure" box. Used to hold, ornaments not drinks.

Here's some in the British Museum.

Thanks for the great link and the info. Very interesting and educational. I must admit some personal embarrassment for not having done more research on true Hawaiian and South Pacific culture. Although thanks to my love for Tiki Pop, I have learned a lot. There's no doubt that the American version of the South Pacific culture is its own! As documented by Sven, there really is this wonderful fictionalized myth created by these bars. To quote the Trader Vic's description of the Tiki Bowl:

"Tiki Bowl - A ceremonial drink among the Polynesians. Served in a cup guarded by Lesser Demons with the symbolic gardenia afloat on the surface."

Is any of this true??? Was there ever such a thing as a Tiki Bowl? What exactly does the "symbolic gardenia" symbolize?

[ This Message was edited by: Tattoo 2014-07-23 21:48 ]

View Profile of Tattoo Send a personal message to Tattoo  Email Tattoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-24 06:35 am   Permalink

Just hazarding a guess that at a loose connection to the communal Kava bowl ceremonies that were and still are an important part of the culture and commmunity of western Oceania that the founding fathers of Poly pop appropriated and ran with.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-25 10:25 pm   Permalink

Wonderful thread...keep em coming!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation