FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » Is this Tiki or not?
Is this Tiki or not?
broomist

Posted: 2014-06-20 08:52 am   Permalink

Came across a bunch of these, and use them (with a votive candle in the top and snaz inthe bottom) in our Tiki bar basement? Can someone tell me what they are, and whether the black ones are better than the white ones? ANY information would be appreciated!

[ This Message was edited by: broomist 2014-06-20 08:58 ]

View Profile of broomist Send a personal message to broomist  Email broomist     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-06-20 08:54 am   Permalink

Those would be Ubangi (African tribesmen), which are well known for their propensity of inserting large discs into their lips. And the inspiration for this offensive joke my dad once told me:
Q: What did one Ubangi say to another?
A: Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers. Now you fan me for a while.

It is not technically tiki, but it certainly has conversational value! I think it's a serving dish. Bottom for chips, top for dip.

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTacky 2014-06-20 09:23 ]

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
broomist

Posted: 2014-06-20 09:18 am   Permalink

Darn! They look Tiki-ish enough for me to keep them till something better comes along, and then it's off to Craig's List! Thanks!

View Profile of broomist Send a personal message to broomist  Email broomist     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky

Posted: 2014-06-20 09:21 am   Permalink

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
broomist

Posted: 2014-06-20 09:28 am   Permalink

oh. my. goodness. (That poster is just too much). I can't see usingthe top for dip (too small and too shallow) but I CAN see getting rid of these asap (LOL)!

TikiTacky

Posted: 2014-06-20 09:36 am   Permalink

I did a bit more reading. Turns out the term Ubangi is a misnomer; someone simply picked it off a map because it sounded "savage." They are actually Sara Kaba, and it is only the women that do it. The practice was ended in the mid-20th century. Now it's just Americans who practice it as a way of warning their compatriots that they are unsuitable in positions requiring good judgement.

Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-29 09:16 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-06-20 09:36, TikiTacky wrote:
... Now it's just Americans who practice it as a way of warning their compatriots that they are unsuitable in positions requiring good judgement.

... and as a preventative measure against being offered any type of traditional gainful employment, which they fear they might accept, in a moment of weakness.

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-29 2:52 pm   Permalink

There is truth to this...

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation