[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Desert Hibiscus Room - Mesa, AZ
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Desert Hibiscus Room - Mesa, AZ
matt-tiki-teo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-06-24 07:35 am   Permalink

Thanks for all the comments! I wish I had taken more "before" and "in-progress" pictures now but wasn't sure that it would be worthy of posting in the end. Some of the more time-consuming projects were the bamboo curtain, roof, and wall carving.

The doorway was arched on the top and all the bamboo curtains out there are mounted to a flat frame. Had to buy a curtain, clip off each bamboo string, and re-hang it with an eye hook:

There were a lot of great ideas on here for what to do with the roof. Bamboo Ben had posted some photos of a palm thatch ceiling with bamboo pole cross beams that looked pretty cool so I had to try it. Started by screwing some wood furring strips lengthwise across the room into the ceiling studs at about 2' intervals. The palm thatching was stapled into these. Then torched and attached 1" bamboo poles along the strips with the palm thatching. Torched some 2" bamboo poles and attached them crosswise with a screw at each crossing. Then added some rope "ties" that end up hiding the screws.

The wood carving probably took the most time since I am not experienced with a router:

Standard pine board from the hardware store with patterns sketched on. Major cuts by a fixed-depth router. Fine touches and sanding with a Dremmel. Torched and wire brushed. Then stained and applied two coats of polyurethane. I'll have to say some of the carvers on here make this look a lot easier than it is. My hats off to them!

View Profile of matt-tiki-teo Send a personal message to matt-tiki-teo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
matt-tiki-teo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-10-11 12:01 am   Permalink

Sorry for the radio silence - finally finished work on a special effect in the tiki room! The inspiration came from Trader Sam's at the Disneyland Hotel. The idea is creating an eruption with the tiki statue (hereafter known as Kona Joe), complete with lighting and sound effects.

It begins with a multi-channel DMX control box and LED light strips - bright white and RGB style:

Need a power supply for the DMX controller and LED strips:

Ultra-sonic misters with RED LEDs for Kona Joe:

And a USB to DMX adapter to connect with the PC:

Install DMXControl, throw together an audio track with special effects and here is the result. Sorry for the video quality - this was the best camera I could locate.

http://youtu.be/cRXLJSKosKM

View Profile of matt-tiki-teo Send a personal message to matt-tiki-teo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-10-11 08:40 am   Permalink

I'd say that router work is pretty darned good, even if you are just starting with it. I chose to do far less complicated patterns in my Kanaloa Lounge, and it was still quite difficult. Mind you, I'm no expert with a router either.

I love the lighting/ lightening effects. That's the sort of thing that truly makes a room memorable. Great work.

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
matt-tiki-teo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-10-11 8:24 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the feedback! I'm no Disney Imagineer but I'm happy with the results.

VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-10-12 03:34 am   Permalink

Great curtain and the eruption is wonderful. Keep up the great work!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zinctiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-10-16 1:39 pm   Permalink

Excellent effects! Wonderful, with the advent of the retail LED gizmos this is now possible!

View Profile of Zinctiki Send a personal message to Zinctiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-10-17 4:44 pm   Permalink

I'm impressed (and still confused) with that elaborate lighting set up. Can't wait to see some pics of it in use. Your construction is very well done.

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
matt-tiki-teo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 26 days ago; 08:24 am   Permalink

I've been wanting to add some strategic spotlights to the walls to highlight the masks and such. Thought it would be cool to have DMX-controlled spotlights like the rest of the LED strips so they could change color and be included in other lighting effects. The problem is nobody seems to sell anything like this. The only ones I could find were more like searchlights meant for DJ special effects. So the quest was to create one. I cut LED strips into three segments and connected them back-to-back (a total of 9 LEDs).

Then cut and torched a 5-6" piece of bamboo with a node about 2" from the end. Folded the LED strip into the bamboo end up against the node and hot-glued in place. I don't know if anyone else has problems with larger bamboo poles cracking but this ended up working nicely here. The connection wire goes nicely out the cracked side.

Screwed the spotlight into a bamboo crossbeam, covered with a rope tie, and wired up:

I've been pretty happy with the results. The light is not super powerful but just enough to create a nice accent. Below is the spotlight pointed on an early Christmas present from Mrs. Tiki-Teo. She is way too nice to me!

matt-tiki-teo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2 days ago; 7:17 pm   Permalink

Hi All,

I've had some time to play a little with the programming of lighting for the Kona Joe eruption. Wanted to get the shelf lights involved a little more. I'm still a novice and probably using a fraction of the capabilities but see what you think. There is now a "flickering" effect during the eruption and a lightning strike causes the shelf lights to "stun" white and then fade. Sorry again for the poor video quality. Link below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9So__XbE0fI

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: Yesterday; 7:37 pm   Permalink

Dude, that's awesome......

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation