FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Other Crafts » » Turning a white power cord black help
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Turning a white power cord black help
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-24 10:50 am   Permalink

The 2 ships lamps I just got came with white cords. Replacing them with a black cord is not what I want to do. The person who converted it from an oil lamp to electric soldered everything together. I could splice a black cord onto the white, but I'd still be spending money on a cord I'd rather not and still have some white cord sticking out regardless.

Any have a painless way to make a white cord black? Paint tends to be sticky on cords I have found.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-24 11:57 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-06-24 10:50, Swanky wrote:
Any have a painless way to make a white cord black?

Krylon has a line called Fusion that is designed specifically for painting on plastic. It is a bit more expensive, but it works better and doesn't make the plastic all tacky (looking or feeling).

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
El Jefe
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-24 12:31 pm   Permalink

You can buy lengths of heat shrink wrap used for wiring. I have seen them in up to four foot lengths. What about getting a length and slicing it down the length to be able to slip it over the white cord and then shrinking it?

View Profile of El Jefe Send a personal message to El Jefe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-24 3:12 pm   Permalink

Would taping black electrical tape around it (in a candy cane swirl pattern) suffice?

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-06-24 5:40 pm   Permalink

Splicing cord is pretty easy and would give the best result. Maybe you should give it a second thought.

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-24 8:05 pm   Permalink

Sunglasses.

But seriously, if it's going to "live" in one place and not move around, I'd try a different spray paint, or the one listed above. Maybe let it sit/ dry for a while before turning the light on (letting the cord heat up)?

Splicing is the easier/ safer bet.

[ This Message was edited by: TikiAno 2014-06-24 20:08 ]

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-24 8:12 pm   Permalink

I'll second Chip & Andy's suggestion to try that Fusion paint. Haven't heard about it, nor used it, but that sounds promising. I did a bunch of researching paint/stain options for the white vinyl front of my bar (I wound up just reupholstering it). There are special vinyl spray paints on the market, but they're tough to come by and a bit pricey—though I did find some for cheap at a shoe repair shop. If Krylon is filling that almost-hole in the market, that sounds like it's worth trying. If you lived nearer, I'd just give you the black vinyl spray paint I never used! You can maybe pick up a cord in a thrift shop to use as a test, if you don't have some test cord lying around the house.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErichTroudt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-24 8:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-06-24 20:12, Humuhumu wrote:
There are special vinyl spray paints on the market, but they're tough to come by and a bit pricey—

Anytime in the past I've needed Vinyl spray paint I got it at Pep Boys...made for car seats and interior.

As far as the cord, not what you wanna hear, but on all my vintage lamps I redo everything...cords, switches and sockets.
I don't like being zapped or the possibility of fire from an old lamp. for less than $20 and a hour time I have peace of mind

View Profile of ErichTroudt Send a personal message to ErichTroudt  Email ErichTroudt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-25 05:49 am   Permalink

PAINT?
Come on Tim you are going to spend $6.00 bucks or so on high dollar paint that will flake off
in no time.

Change it all for like $10.00 more bucks and be done with it.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-25 07:03 am   Permalink

If the cord is good you could just braid some hemp around it and hide it that way.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-25 07:06 am   Permalink

I've still yet to try it, but I think this stuff would work to dye a white cord:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Dye-for-PVC-STAIN-1-oz-concentrate-lqd-/260720985413

View Profile of jimsflies Send a personal message to jimsflies  Goto the website of jimsflies     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-25 07:41 am   Permalink

It may work Jim, But now you are
paying more than the costs of the best fix that you know would work.

I think it's fun to rewire stuff, not that hard to do.
Plus you get the added advantage of making the cord just as long as you want.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-25 08:55 am   Permalink

Rewiring is just a giant pain here because whoever made this oil lamp electric went ahead and soldered the socket into the lamp base, along with soldering the wires in. The wires are unreachable.

I can splice in a black wire. I'd just not like to spend $15 per lamp on cords if there was just an easier way. I think the shrink wrap stuff is expensive as I recall.

Using regular paint on cords will result in them being tacky for life. Nothing "dries" them.

Will look into a specialty paint and that may be the fast and easy answer.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-25 09:57 am   Permalink

Here is a video showing the dye I linked above...used on cords.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ITGM1XILb4

Granted it is more for the dye, but you'll have enough to use for future cords as well.

View Profile of jimsflies Send a personal message to jimsflies  Goto the website of jimsflies     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-06-25 10:30 am   Permalink

You could always buy a different lamp or trade this one for one you like better.

No need to thank GROG. GROG happy to help.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation