[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Tequila
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Tequila
Jay4
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-06-26 12:12 pm   Permalink

so whats the difference between tequila thats 100 percent agave and stuff that isnt.i bought this margerita mix that came with an actual bottle of tequila,but i found out it isnt 100 percent agave and it only tastes good mixed with the margerita mix.for something to do shots with or mix in something like orange juice should i of picked some silver tequila that was 100 percent agave

[ This Message was edited by: Jay4 2014-06-26 12:14 ]

View Profile of Jay4 Send a personal message to Jay4      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-06-26 12:44 pm   Permalink

The Grammar Police are appalled and the Spelling Police are slightly disappointed.

The Grammar Police would like to point out that letters at the beginning of a sentence should be capitalized and the letter i should be capitalized when used as a word. Also, your first and last sentences should end with a question mark.

The Spelling Police want you to know "should i of picked" is wrong. It should be "should I have picked".

Can't help you with an answer about the choice of tequila----- if you ARE old enough to drink.

Good luck.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Just checked some of your previous 16 posts, and the Grammar and Spelling Police don't want to just give you a ticket, they think you should serve time in jail for offenses against the English language, but don't let that stop you from posting.

[ This Message was edited by: GROG 2014-06-26 12:48 ]

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-26 12:57 pm   Permalink

If it not 100% agave, you should not buy it in my opinion. Take it for free and serve margs to your acquaintances with it. Many of the 100% agave tequilas taste horrible as well. I use Don Julio. If you want a cheaper tequila I use El Jimador. I would stay away from Cuervo and Sauza. Most big companies just mass produce it so it is cheap and not good tasting. Try a margarita with a good tequila and then another with a cheap one back to back. You will be able to tell the difference.

[ This Message was edited by: lunavideogames 2014-06-26 13:01 ]

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-26 2:04 pm   Permalink

Really, this should explain any questions you have about Tequila:

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0SO8wICiqxT3XsAwR1XNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTBtZG0ya3M3BHNlYwNjZC1hdHRyBHNsawNzb3VyY2U-/RV=2/RE=1403845251/RO=10/RU=http%3a%2f%2fwww.youtube.com%2fwatch%3fv%3dUVKsd8z6scw/RK=0/RS=g_1KDDPWNAmabVEZ3dZxl9By1II-

Yes, I am still around!

Later,

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-26 2:17 pm   Permalink

I don't have an answer for the actual question. However, the first problem I noticed is that you purchased margarita MIX!
The second is that it came with free tequila. If liquor comes with a mixer in the package it should be left on the shelf.

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-26 2:42 pm   Permalink

You are breaking all of our drinking laws!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam

Posted: 2014-06-26 3:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-06-26 12:44, GROG wrote:
The Grammar Police are appalled and the Spelling Police are slightly disappointed...

I actually LOLed!

Blue agave is the cactus that tequila is made of (I think there are different types of cactus that can be used). The centre of the cactus is baked, then squashed & the juice fermented & distilled (something like that) to become tequila.

A tequila that isn't 100% blue agave contains other liquids other than the product of the above process (eg fructose & glucose). These non 100% blue agave tequila are also known as mixto tequilas. To my mind, Jose Cuervo is the a-typical mixto tequila but there are far worse!

Tequilas can also be roughly subdivided in to Blanco (the white), Respardo (the rested - medium aged) & Anejo (the aged).

It's a matter of taste beyond that. I went to Mexico & tried tons of different tequilas (like 30+) - I brought home El Jimador Blanco & Hennadura Respardo so I recommend them (& also liked Don Julio Anejo).

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-27 3:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-06-26 15:40, AdOrAdam wrote:
Blue agave is the cactus that tequila is made of (I think there are different types of cactus that can be used). The centre of the cactus is baked, then squashed & the juice fermented & distilled (something like that) to become tequila.

Not to be horticultural nerd, but agave is not a cactus, although both are succulent plants. However, the tequila process you describe is basically correct.

[ This Message was edited by: arriano 2014-06-27 15:35 ]

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-27 4:03 pm   Permalink

I certainly am not a qualified expert on any alcohols, but prefer the clear ones (gin & white tequila). I am too old to do shots any more...LOL, but I do love on the rocks margaritas and prefer Patron.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wizzard419
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-27 4:27 pm   Permalink

Tequila, like rum, brandy, etc. has cheap shit that you slam down in shots at a party and higher grade stuff that is to be consumed neat.

View Profile of wizzard419 Send a personal message to wizzard419      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-27 4:32 pm   Permalink

My favorite that I can remember is Casa Noble Añejo single barel. Can't buy that one very often!

Not to poop on Patrón but, it is sometimes called 'shampoo' tequila.

This thread my need to be moved to "Fiesta Central."

Edit: forgot my emoticon!

[ This Message was edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2014-06-27 16:35 ]

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-27 5:17 pm   Permalink

Tiki drinks that use tequila are Bum's Rush, the Yellow Boxer, and Jim's Special.
Jim's Special is the drink created by Mike and Mike of Tki Ti with a big assist from Jah Jim of Tiki Central. My fave is Bum's Rush.

AdOrAdam

Posted: 2014-06-28 05:56 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-06-27 15:34, arriano wrote:
Not to be horticultural nerd, but agave is not a cactus, although both are succulent plants. However, the tequila process you describe is basically correct...

Nerd away, I stand corrected

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-28 08:35 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-06-27 16:32, Mr. NoNaMe wrote:
Not to poop on Patrón but, it is sometimes called 'shampoo' tequila.

I wouldn't go that far because Patron is way better than the Cuervo which the world so madly embraces. But I will pass up any Patron any day in favor of Don Julio.

I quit drinking tequila 31 years ago when I woke up half-nekkid on a mountain side in the desert behind Barstow, CA, with my girlfriend in the same condition on an adjacent slope. (Then SHE drove me home.) 3 years ago Don Julio brought me back to tequila with open arms and the bottle is now prominently displayed on a middle shelf of my home bar. Shots and sips of Patron, as I re-tested the waters, were never able to do that.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-01 3:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:
Tequila, like rum, brandy, etc. has cheap shit that you slam down in shots at a party and higher grade stuff that is to be consumed neat.

Brandy shots? Out of tiny snifters?

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation