FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Tequila
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Tequila
wizzard419
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-01 3:31 pm   Permalink

Actually, I've seen that, I think they called it "fancy frat party", but usually people just make them into other "shot drinks".

View Profile of wizzard419 Send a personal message to wizzard419      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-03 08:10 am   Permalink

I once had the honor of drinking a "Jim's Special" at Tiki Ti, next to Rasta Jim himself (at his urging, naturally). It's really good, and makes me wonder why there aren't more rum/tequila cocktails out there.

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wizzard419
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-03 09:32 am   Permalink

There are, but there aren't a ton that would be tiki, and most people don't order true cocktails but rather a spirit and mixer drink.

View Profile of wizzard419 Send a personal message to wizzard419      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jay4
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-07-08 4:32 pm   Permalink

hmm,just an update

i bought this margarita mix thats non alcoholic(its actually mango flavored margarita mix) and a bottle of el jimador anejo tequila but is 4 oz to much tequila to use.it seems like the flavor of the tequila overpowers the flavor of the margarita and ive seen people post their own margarita recipes and they only use like 1.5 oz of tequila

[ This Message was edited by: Jay4 2014-07-08 16:33 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Jay4 2014-07-08 16:36 ]

View Profile of Jay4 Send a personal message to Jay4      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-08 5:16 pm   Permalink

Jay4, I think your missing the point of many of the comments
while no one is saying we can't discuss Non-Tiki drinks

We are Cocktail snobs, purists, perfectionists here
and no one here (who enjoys being flamed, anyway) would
even consider using a premix of anything, it is all about fresh ingredients
from scratch, this is the only way you are going to get a quality cocktail

Mixes are for amateurs, Frats & Sororities, so we strongly
encourage you to pickup a quality Cocktail guide (or ask here)
and get serious about making real drinks.

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2014-07-08 17:16 ]

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wizzard419
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-08 5:51 pm   Permalink

I'm trying to remember if that type is used in most margaritas... usually the stuff that mixes call for is the blanco since they do not want to compete and the nature of a frozen/blended margarita brings out bad flavors in nicer quality stuff.

Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-08 5:52 pm   Permalink

Crappy Koolaid Margarita mixes have created a consumer society that has no clue what a Real Margarita tastes like and no appreciation for tequila as a traditional handcrafted spirit.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-08 7:04 pm   Permalink

A true Margarita is made with this recipe:

1 1/2 oz tequila
1/2 oz triple sec
1 oz lime

Triple Sec is cheap and now limes are cheap again. This will work much better than any mixers. You can play around with the ratios to your taste. You can add mango or blueberry or agave or anything else you would like to make it more towards your taste. You can sub out Curacao or Grand Mariner for the Triple Sec. It is fun making drinks from scratch, I promise.

Oh yeah, squeeze your own limes. Don't buy packaged lime juice.

[ This Message was edited by: lunavideogames 2014-07-08 19:06 ]

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-07-09 06:24 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-07-08 17:16, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
No one is saying we can't discuss Non-Tiki drinks

We are Cocktail snobs, purists, perfectionists here... it is all about fresh ingredients
from scratch... Mixes are for amateurs

We strongly encourage you to pickup a quality cocktail guide

Err, yeah, what he said.

Quote:

On 2014-07-08 19:04, lunavideogames wrote:

1 1/2 oz tequila
1/2 oz triple sec
1 oz lime

It is fun making drinks from scratch, I promise...

I add a little sugar if required to that margarita recipe & agree making drinks from scratch is fun - you can elevate a drink from just being 'ok' to 'much better' or 'great' by getting the balance right to your taste buds.

The reason tequila isnt as discussable (for me) is that I find it a bit samey, rum is a corner stone of far many more drinks.

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-07-09 06:25 am   Permalink

Ps good job trying another Tequila tho Jay4 - what do you think of it?

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Oxybeles
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-07-09 06:59 am   Permalink

Quote:

1 1/2 oz tequila
1/2 oz triple sec
1 oz lime

Triple Sec is cheap and now limes are cheap again. This will work much better than any mixers. You can play around with the ratios to your taste. You can add mango or blueberry or agave or anything else you would like to make it more towards your taste. You can sub out Curacao or Grand Mariner for the Triple Sec. It is fun making drinks from scratch, I promise.

Oh yeah, squeeze your own limes. Don't buy packaged lime juice.

[ This Message was edited by: lunavideogames 2014-07-08 19:06 ]

I prefer to add Monin Organic Agave Syrup instead of the triple sec, although most any agave nectar will work just fine. The tricky part is calculating the tartness of the lime, due to the inherent uniqueness of each individual lime.

Based upon my experimentation, 3/4 oz satisfies a woman!

Also, suggest upping the tequila to 2oz.

View Profile of Oxybeles Send a personal message to Oxybeles      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-09 10:30 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-07-09 06:59, Oxybeles wrote:
Quote:

1 1/2 oz tequila
1/2 oz triple sec
1 oz lime

I prefer to add Monin Organic Agave Syrup instead of the triple sec, although most any agave nectar will work just fine. The tricky part is calculating the tartness of the lime, due to the inherent uniqueness of each individual lime.

Based upon my experimentation, 3/4 oz satisfies a woman!

Also, suggest upping the tequila to 2oz.

The Agave Syrup is good, but don't skip the Triple Sec, it is a surprisingly important part of the drink!

It may not seem like that much in the drink, but it is there for a reason.... it brings out some of the subtle flavors of your tequilia and plays well with the citrus.

If you want a truly enjoyable drink and don't mind spending the bucks to stock your bar, go top-shelf.... the Cadillac if you prefer, and use a 100% Silver Agave Tequilia, Fresh Lime, and Cointreau. Shake the hell out of it, strain it into a cocktail glass, salt half the rim of the glass and garnish with a wheel of fresh citrus.

If you are still wanting it on the sweet side, use Grand Marnier instead.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-09 10:55 am   Permalink

I tried a mezcal tequila last night - Vida - from Oaxaca, Mexico. It was interesting because the maguey plant it is made from is toasted or burned more completely than usual and the tequila retains a fair amount of smoky flavor. It is certified organic and made an interesting and very unique cocktail. It was definitely surprising because the syrups and other ingredients in the drink actually produced some notes of bacon. Yes, bacon.

Posted here as an FYI in case you run into this tequila so you can try it.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-09 2:16 pm   Permalink

These days, I drink more Margaritas than any other cocktail. After much experimentation, here is my recipe:

2 oz. Blanco Tequila
1 oz. Triple Sec
3/4 oz. Fresh Lime Juice
1/4 oz. Agave Nectar

You *must* use a 100% agave tequila. If the label doesn't state "100% agave," that means it's a "mixto" tequila, which can include all kinds of things in it that you don't want. (This is one of the reasons people often report having bad experiences with tequila.) You can use a Reposado or Anejo tequila instead of a Blanco if you wish, but it's generally not the best use of it I don't think.

Some of my favorite blancos: Don Julio, Tapatio, Espolon, Olmeca Altos, Pueblo Viejo, Avion, Milagro.

Most triple secs are vile, so I generally recommend sticking with Cointreau. There's a reason it costs more -- it's the best.

If you like your drink extra limey, you can up the juice to a full ounce.

Generally speaking, if you like it a little more tart, you can omit the agave. If you like it a little sweeter, add a little more agave. In my opinion, the triple sec alone isn't enough to balance the lime.

Salud!

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-09 3:30 pm   Permalink

Try the Pierre Ferrand Dry Curacao. Now we're talking!

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation