[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Tequila
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Tequila
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-09 4:38 pm   Permalink

I too dropped triple sec for agave nectar in margaritas a few years ago, and i've never looked back!

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-09 6:35 pm   Permalink

Been doing more of the margaritas with agave instead of triple sec the past couple years as well. In its price range, Corralejo Reposado is my tequila of choice. A great sipper but also a versitile mixer that isn't so expensive you mind mixing with it.

Ace, I love all the Del Maguey mezcals but the Vida is about the only one I can afford. It was originally intended to sell at a < $30 price point but the few stores around me that carry it sell it for a little more than that. If you get a chance to play around mixing with Mezcal, I have found it really plays well with both pineapple juice and Calvados.

For folks in striking distance of a Total Wine, do yourself a favor and try a bottle of the San Matias Legado blanco tequila. An $11(!!) 100% agave tequila with a great, bright and nicely peppery flavor, makes a great Paloma and a great Margarita. I think it might be the best booze bargain out there right now.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wizzard419
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-09 7:11 pm   Permalink

I don't know if I would drop the orange for agave on it's own. I usually use GM and Agave (though I scale back the nectar since I detest sweet) because it seems like you would be missing a note. Similar to a bay leaf, you don't totally notice the presence but you know when it's gone.

View Profile of wizzard419 Send a personal message to wizzard419      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-09 7:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-07-09 19:11, wizzard419 wrote:
I don't know if I would drop the orange for agave on it's own. I usually use GM and Agave (though I scale back the nectar since I detest sweet) because it seems like you would be missing a note. Similar to a bay leaf, you don't totally notice the presence but you know when it's gone.

I certainly thought the same thing before trying a Margarita with just Tequila, lime juice, and a 1:1 agave:water syrup. I really don't think the drink suffers for lack of the triple sec, but you should try it and decide for yourself.

My wife's favorite margarita is one from Alton Brown that uses agave syrup and muddled fesh orange and lime and leaves out the triple sec. Great orange flavor, nice mingling of the tequila and agave syrup and it works quite well without the triple sec. You have to be in the mood for an orange-forward margarita, but when you are this one hits the spot.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-09 7:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-07-09 18:35, Sunny&Rummy wrote:
For folks in striking distance of a Total Wine, do yourself a favor and try a bottle of the San Matias Legado blanco tequila. An $11(!!) 100% agave tequila with a great, bright and nicely peppery flavor, makes a great Paloma and a great Margarita. I think it might be the best booze bargain out there right now.

i second this!

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wizzard419
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-09 7:56 pm   Permalink

Never was a fan of TS, I usually go for GM because the other stuff has no depth.

View Profile of wizzard419 Send a personal message to wizzard419      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 27 days ago; 12:20 pm   Permalink

yesterday i sampled the blanco and the reposado of the new Casamigos tequila, apparently part-owned by George Clooney.

let's just say that Mr. Clooney shouldn't quit his day job any time soon...

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation