FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » 1956 Better Homes & gardens Decorating book
1956 Better Homes & gardens Decorating book
Pele Paul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-29 8:34 pm   Permalink

found this pop time capsule, my mom and dad bought it in time for their wedding in 1958. what a great decorating book with great ideas!

View Profile of Pele Paul Send a personal message to Pele Paul  Email Pele Paul     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-29 9:49 pm   Permalink

Very cool. Can you choose a few photos of pages from the inside if the book to share with us?

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pele Paul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-29 11:06 pm   Permalink

that's a great idea! I should have added some earlier!!! here are a few!
its so cool to see an item from the time period with colors and such, so much Modern, art deco, Danish Modern and Colonial, almost like watching an episode of I Love Lucy when they moved to Conn.

View Profile of Pele Paul Send a personal message to Pele Paul  Email Pele Paul     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Onyx_Noir
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-30 12:41 am   Permalink

I love that blue kitchen. Thanks for posting these.

View Profile of Onyx_Noir Send a personal message to Onyx_Noir  Email Onyx_Noir     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-30 04:32 am   Permalink

Wow, very cool photos! I often think that people of that time period became very bored with interior décor and then all the colorful and vibrant interiors became popular to shake things up and break out of a very plain rut the country found itself in. Plus the post-world-war optimism was there as well to help things along.

Great photos, thanks for sharing these!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pele Paul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-30 09:11 am   Permalink

Thanks all,
yea I was reading through briefly, and its really neat to see what was considered "Modern" as well as what was "Traditional" I can see a lot of Asian influence on a lot of the ideas as well too. Now Im going to have to start looking around for some ideas for my 1956 built Ranch style home! So many great ideas, I think I need 5 more kitchens, 4 more living rooms, and 7 more bathrooms!!!

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-30 09:45 am   Permalink

SOme other images on my site

"Mai-Kai: History & Mystery of the Iconic Tiki Restaurant" the book

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-06-30 2:17 pm   Permalink

OMG...that book is the bomb!!! I love the furniture, the walls and all the decor. That book is certainly a treasure. If you can post more pictures that would be great...my inner decorator wanna be is craving it.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pele Paul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-30 8:59 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-06-30 14:17, VampiressRN wrote:
OMG...that book is the bomb!!! I love the furniture, the walls and all the decor. That book is certainly a treasure. If you can post more pictures that would be great...my inner decorator wanna be is craving it.

hey dear, if youd like I can take and photo copy it for you.....

Hamo
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2018-01-30 8:34 pm   Permalink

Last September Better Homes and Gardens reprinted a vintage edition of their Decorating Book. Hard to tell if it’s this version or not; the book’s description mentions 1956, but the book’s cover says 1961. Either way it’s still pretty cool.

View Profile of Hamo Send a personal message to Hamo  Goto the website of Hamo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation