FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Home Tiki Bar Build Out - Spider Island Lounge
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
Home Tiki Bar Build Out - Spider Island Lounge
liabungalo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-09-19 12:10 pm   Permalink

@MaukaHale: Could you define hand electric grinder? I have a Bosch electric grinder for cutting metal on my motorcycles and I wouldn't dare take that to wood. I'd destroy it. Are we talking about the same thing?

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-1375A-2-Inch-Angle-Grinder/dp/B00004SUOU

View Profile of liabungalo Send a personal message to liabungalo  Email liabungalo Goto the website of liabungalo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-09-19 1:18 pm   Permalink

The grinder in the Amazon link is what I'm talking about. You will need to buy a sanding disc to replace the cutting edge. I use a flap disk like the one in this link.

http://www.amazon.com/Flap-Sanding-4-Diameter-Maximum-Speed/dp/B00JESDFK6/ref=sr_1_12?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1411157566&sr=1-12&keywords=Flap+Discs+wood

"People are like islands. You have to get close to them to know what they are about."
~ Adam Troy

View Profile of MaukaHale Send a personal message to MaukaHale  Email MaukaHale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
liabungalo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-09-19 9:03 pm   Permalink

Great call, MaukaHale, spent a half hour tonight doing a test 1x3 and it looks really badass. Going to do the rest of the ceiling and door trim like this and then consider whether I want to do some 1x6s for the baseboard.

View Profile of liabungalo Send a personal message to liabungalo  Email liabungalo Goto the website of liabungalo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
IDoVoodoo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-09-19 10:42 pm   Permalink

Voodoo approves.

View Profile of IDoVoodoo Send a personal message to IDoVoodoo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
liabungalo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 30 days ago; 06:13 am   Permalink

First batch of Tiki ceiling and door trim is done. The staining is the worst part. Trying to wipe out all of those crevices sucks.

liabungalo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 28 days ago; 06:16 am   Permalink

Working with bamboo sucks, but I finally got all the corner posts and half the chair rails installed. T-Minus 12 days until this Tiki Lounge is done. I mounted the 3-inch bamboo half rounds onto 1x2-inch beams that are screwed directly into the studs. I had to dremel out the knuckle dividers inside the bamboo, which was pretty miserable. I used yellow trim screws to mount the bamboo. I wish I could have countersunk them, but I didn't want to risk splitting the bamboo, so the screws will be visible.

MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 28 days ago; 07:26 am   Permalink

Its really coming together and looking good. I agree with you about bamboo being difficult to work with. In 12 days it will have all been worth it. Keep sending us pictures.

"People are like islands. You have to get close to them to know what they are about."
~ Adam Troy

View Profile of MaukaHale Send a personal message to MaukaHale  Email MaukaHale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
liabungalo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 28 days ago; 07:57 am   Permalink

BTW, the 12 days is just a deadline set by me to feel some sort of pressure to finish this thing. What's taking forever is carving and staining the tribal trim. By the time I get back from work it's dark out and I don't want to run the grinder at night outdoors for obvious reasons. So that has to wait until the weekend.

The good news is that the final 30 or so modutile floor tiles are arriving today. Once the floor is done, I can move the furniture out of the garage and into the Tiki Room and just work on the trim around it.

I also have to paint the rest of the exposed white walls brown and find out why two of my outlets aren't working.

Fun times.

liabungalo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 23 days ago; 07:03 am   Permalink

Eight hours of solid sweat equity and I'm calling it a day. Seven more days until go time and we are almost there. Only thing left to do is carve out the door header boards, stain the unstained trim, stain the doors, finish a tiny few pieces of bamboo, cut down the closet doors by an inch, lahaula the stair case, paint the poles brown, install the two final tiles and finish the bar. This will happen.

This wall is ready for a giant Squindo Tiki painting. Electric projection screen will drop down in front of it.

Framed out all the trim without staining it just to get it out of the way and clean up the last of the sawdust.

Those poles will look so much better brown. Or perhaps tied up with rope. Hmmm.

Waiting to finish the left side trim. Not sure if the closet door will open with the bamboo chair rail and baseboard in place. All outlets are now 100% operational.

The bar is going to be the final piece of the puzzle.

liabungalo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 14 days ago; 1:14 pm   Permalink

Time is up; we're moving in. Hardcore construction is officially done. Moved the furniture in and started staining the bar. All that's left is about a weeks worth of trim and touch up work. The end is near.

Finished up almost all the trim. Just need to knock out the door headers

Furniture works perfectly. The best part is that the bamboo is light enough to easily move.

The bar is halfway there. I need to keep staining the top and poly and I need to finish the foot rest and stain that too.

I was going to paint the staircase area brown, but I had leftover lauhala, so I added it to the wall. Will need more trim for that.

MondoMcGonzo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 14 days ago; 4:16 pm   Permalink

Looking GREAT!!

View Profile of MondoMcGonzo Send a personal message to MondoMcGonzo  Goto the website of MondoMcGonzo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 14 days ago; 7:41 pm   Permalink

Nice job. Keep posting progression pictures for us.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation