FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Strange Tiki Merchandise
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Strange Tiki Merchandise
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2015-06-29 10:33 am   Permalink

Good stuff, Lori! Now that you can buy crinkle paper for a baby, the next step must be bubble-wrap for babies?

Here's something else -- this stuff never ceases to amaze me. We generically call it "party city crap," and it shows up everywhere. The only thing is that if you buy it at Party City, you're grossly overpaying. Pretty much any dollar store has a lot of this stuff at significantly lower prices.

It's obvious from the photo that bright-happy-fun colors are much better than any authenticity. And now, in all its "WTF" glory, my photo from a recent co-worker's retirement party:

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2015-07-01 05:52 am   Permalink

And, once again demonstrating that "tiki" definitely has a spot in today's culture, I found these large and heavy tiki planters/pots "in the wild" at a Ace Hardware store in St. Augustine, Florida:

These would be perfect for containing some nice tall clumping-type bamboo if you don't mind the style of the tiki. I was impressed with their size and weight, although unfortunately I can't recall the price...

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2015-07-01 06:34 am   Permalink

I didn't find the above pots/planters online at Ace, but I did find this 23" high painted tiki (with ears!) figure for $41.99 with free shipping to your local Ace Hardware store:

I find it interesting that the artist decided to put ears on him. Is this "crap" or "best thing ever?" You decide.

Atomobile
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-07-02 2:55 pm   Permalink

That's a terrible reinterpretation of Disneyland's Pele.

View Profile of Atomobile Send a personal message to Atomobile      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2015-07-07 12:16 pm   Permalink

Here's another reason for us all to let out a collective scream - a plastic tiki, with light up eyes and mouth. There is a solar panel on top of his head to charge batteries and run the LEDs at night.

Saw only ONE of these guys at my local Lowe's store over the weekend. Not sure if they only received one, or if there were many more like this which were already bought up by people in my city.

Nuff said...

Biotron2000
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-07-07 12:33 pm   Permalink

They actually came in two sizes. I bought the larger of the two, myself. I hate the garish colors and plan to paint it all brown, but I dig the light-up eyes and mouth.

View Profile of Biotron2000 Send a personal message to Biotron2000  Email Biotron2000     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2015-07-07 12:50 pm   Permalink

Biotron - good to hear, and you reminded me that I bought one of the concrete tiki statues (still in stock today at Lowe's) but the color was too light. I put it out in front of my house to see if anyone would try to steal it - it weighs about 80lbs - and will eventually stain it a darker brown color.

With the light-up tiki you bought, I hope the solar panel lasts. They usually crap out after a couple years as moisture gets in. Some good sealer and you should be fine for many years.

creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-09-16 5:03 pm   Permalink

It has been a while but I've saved these pics for this thread.
First just bought this yesterday, the Home Deposit version of a lighted garden tiki. Walk by the kitchen last night where I put it on the table and it freaked me out with the lighted eyes. Haha. Well at least this version I don't have to paint it like the one from Lowes.

Recently bought this "Finding Nemo" tikis for my future aquarium, although painted I like them. Something about those Disney guys and gals that can get away with things.

Another Disney product, a Mickey Tee shirt

Just came back from Vegas baby!

Classic Hawaiian Host Mac nut package

Recyclable bags found in local Hawaii Safeways

Couple Tiki Calendars found in local Walmarts in the tourist section. The following beverage holders can also be found there as well as tiki luggage tags which I use.

Finally, another classic, the plastic moai pepper grinder

View Profile of creativenative Send a personal message to creativenative  Email creativenative Goto the website of creativenative     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-10-14 08:46 am   Permalink

My nephew will like this.
Available for purchase on the Disney Store website.
www.disneystore.com/tow-mater-die-cast-car-143-artist-series/mp/1386179/1011302/#longDesc

"Mater picks up a new look as he takes a vacation from his tow truck job to open up Tiki Mater Surf Shop. Created in collaboration with John Lasseter, this Artist Series Die Cast is inspired by Southern California's 1960s beach culture."

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicoma
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2015-11-21 12:40 pm   Permalink

bump

View Profile of tikicoma Send a personal message to tikicoma      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2016-04-28 10:32 am   Permalink

I found this on Amazon, wild colors, and they're "Polynesian." Only 4 left, so hurry!

kenbo-jitsu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-07-12 3:35 pm   Permalink

This product is tiki because it says so right in the name.

View Profile of kenbo-jitsu Send a personal message to kenbo-jitsu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2016-09-12 2:11 pm   Permalink

In the "clearance" aisle of my local WalMart.

You know these markers are tiki because the package has a tiki on the front, right?

Edit: Added the URL for the photo. Doh!

[ This Message was edited by: AceExplorer 2016-09-12 14:12 ]

creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-01-09 7:37 pm   Permalink

Have cellphone camera will travel. More strange tiki merchandise in the last few months as I traveled.

First non tiki but tiki related multi flavored Hawaiian punch in New Mexico

Ripoff Hawaiian Punch brands found in Michigan

In Hawaii strange tiki stuff, key chains, bobbers, more garden lights, and even candy bars.

Finally note tiki mango/passion fruit lotion in the middle of the Hawaiian collect last summer.

View Profile of creativenative Send a personal message to creativenative  Email creativenative Goto the website of creativenative     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2017-01-10 05:40 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-01-09 19:37, creativenative wrote:
Have cellphone camera will travel. More strange tiki merchandise in the last few months as I traveled.

Very nice post, creativenative! I like those dashboard tiki bobbleheads.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation