FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Strange Tiki Merchandise
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Strange Tiki Merchandise
creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-01-10 12:54 pm   Permalink

Thanks Ace. That second to the last picture is a version of a tiki bar that doesn't serve drinks - haha!

[ This Message was edited by: creativenative 2017-01-10 12:55 ]

View Profile of creativenative Send a personal message to creativenative  Email creativenative Goto the website of creativenative     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-01-10 2:27 pm   Permalink

Ha! Those two multi-colored tiki statues are ceramic and solar powered. Their eyes and mouths light up at night. Garish, but kinda neat in their own way. Certainly overpriced for what they are. These exact types (and another, smaller version) are also available at Lowes Home Improvement stores in Texas (and presumably the rest of the U.S.).

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Email Prikli Pear Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Joshua Bell
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-01-10 5:51 pm   Permalink

As seen at a Canadian Tire (chain store) in Calgary a few years back. In the dead of winter.

View Profile of Joshua Bell Send a personal message to Joshua Bell  Email Joshua Bell Goto the website of Joshua Bell     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2017-03-22 1:58 pm   Permalink

Found this in a web search today. I think it's for when you host a party and just don't want to break out the fine tiki dinnerware.....

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2017-04-04 12:04 pm   Permalink

Here we have rocks glasses with matching coasters. But...

I had second thoughts about posting these images, but then decided that because this was being sold on the web site of an otherwise reputable barware supply company, and because I found these designs to be way too much "in-your-face-tiki," that I'd go ahead and let it fly.

1) You know it's questionable when the designer has to write "tiki bar" or "tiki" and state the obvious on the face of the item.

2) The designer did an ok job - I'd give half credit. But ultimately I'm afraid the designer just had to dip a toe (and then an entire leg or more) a bit too deep into the Jimmy Buffett crapfest pool of tropical/tiki. Overall not bad, but I think you can see why I struggled. The too-pitifully-obvious "HEY I'M TIKI STUFF!" declaration puts these items onto the dark Party City side of the tiki fence. If they were made to be a little more classic, and a little more subtle, without the unnecessary wording for example, I doubt I would have even thought of posting these here.

So while not entirely bad, I think they belong here. Like 'em enough so you feel you must get some? Luminarc is the manufacturer, and these are featured and sold at
www.behindthebar.com.

Now I'll get to wait for someone here on TC to post a response --- "Hey, you idiot, those are MY designs!" If that's you, well, let's just leave it at that.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HopeChest
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-04-05 10:04 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-04-04 12:04, AceExplorer wrote:
If they were made to be a little more classic, and a little more subtle, without the unnecessary wording for example, I doubt I would have even thought of posting these here.

Yeah, what a difference some text makes. On their own I quite like a couple of the designs but cannae stand any of them with that text.

View Profile of HopeChest Send a personal message to HopeChest      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-04-05 2:44 pm   Permalink

Kind of like when Humuhumu says, if you have to say it's a tiki bar, it's not a tiki bar!

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EnchantedTikiGoth
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-04-05 4:44 pm   Permalink

If they just invented fake bars with real Tiki bar sounding names, that would have worked out so much better >_<

View Profile of EnchantedTikiGoth Send a personal message to EnchantedTikiGoth  Goto the website of EnchantedTikiGoth     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
headpaneer
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-01-09 4:01 pm   Permalink

Spotted these at Sur la Table during a Christmas shopping trip!

View Profile of headpaneer Send a personal message to headpaneer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Roa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-01-19 09:39 am   Permalink

I bought those "tiki bar" rocks glasses awhile back...i think like at a Ross for like 3 bucks...obviously not authentic but marginally tiki for the average enthusiast

View Profile of Tiki Roa Send a personal message to Tiki Roa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
drgoat456
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-01-19 1:48 pm   Permalink

Not a great shot but saw these in Target. Tiki superheroes?

View Profile of drgoat456 Send a personal message to drgoat456  Email drgoat456     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2018-01-19 2:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-01-19 13:48, drgoat456 wrote:
Not a great shot but saw these in Target. Tiki superheroes?

OMG, cartoonish toothy grins taken to a new low. Nice find, thanks for posting!

AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2018-02-05 06:07 am   Permalink

Found over the weekend at my local Ace Hardware. Not a tiki anywhere in sight. <grin>

creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-02-05 12:01 pm   Permalink

Uwhaaat? This is got to be the strangest. Good post AE.

View Profile of creativenative Send a personal message to creativenative  Email creativenative Goto the website of creativenative     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-02-05 7:09 pm   Permalink

Ace, Our local pool supply carries that brand of pool toys/games. Nuthin Tiki about em either.
Cheers

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation