FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Strange Tiki Merchandise
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Strange Tiki Merchandise
howlinowl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-02-06 05:10 am   Permalink

Just about every seaside bar here in southern Florida has this hook and ring game. I'm kinda curious (apparently not THAT curious....I do have the internets if I wanted to look it up) where the manufacturer (probably distributor, nobody makes anything in the US anymore...)is located. Just about every bar in a chickee hut (originally built by Seminole native-americans) is known as a "Tiki bar". If the company is based in Florida, that is probably where the "Tiki" in "Tiki Toss" came from

howlinowl

View Profile of howlinowl Send a personal message to howlinowl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-02-06 07:23 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-02-06 05:10, howlinowl wrote:
Just about every bar in a chickee hut (originally built by Seminole native-americans) is known as a "Tiki bar".

Agreed. Chickee huts, palapas... pretty much anything that involves palm thatch is now automatically associated with tiki in the general public consciousness. I was guilty of the same before I discovered the wider universe of tiki culture. And it's easy to see why that'd be the case, but those ring toss games are beyond the pale.

I've done some thinking on this regarding the Lagoon of Mystery. It was something of an eye-opener when I realized I could remove every Hawaiian/Polynesian reference, all the tikis and mugs and whatnot, and everyone would still view it as, and refer to it as a tiki bar. I could swap out all the rum for vodka (gak!) and remake it with a pre-Castro Cuban theme, or Brazilian, or Jamaican, and it wouldn't make any difference. In the cultural zeitgeist, any type of tropical bar (particularly those outdoors) is a tiki bar. At this point, I don't think that's ever going to change.

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Email Prikli Pear Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2018-02-06 09:25 am   Permalink

I agree with all the comments. I'm interested in laughing at these items, but also want to continue to document these as they are found, photographed, and posted here. As time passes, it will be interesting to see if the seemingly endless non-tiki "tiki" stuff continues, or if it gets better. I'm also interested in seeing what, if anything, will come to help correct this in the public eye.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2018-02-22 3:53 pm   Permalink

Uh, ok... Has the word "tiki" really become this generic? I guess it could be used as a shelf to hold one or two tiki mugs. In that case, "Nice rack!"

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-02-22 5:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-02-22 15:53, AceExplorer wrote:

Uh, ok... Has the word "tiki" really become this generic?

You obviously don't use Instagram Ace.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle Goto the website of swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2018-04-24 11:43 am   Permalink

What is "tiki?" In this example it's not merchandise but huts and thatching. Not very tiki by themselves, but definitely very Jimmy Buffett.

http://palmhuts.com/

While their work does look great, they also perpetuate the false stereotype of what constitutes tiki. Sure, I'd hire these guys. The quality of their work is superb and looks great. But I'd definitely have to see some real tiki somewhere before calling anything they make truly "tiki."

AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2018-04-24 5:29 pm   Permalink

Found at my local Lowe's.

Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-04-26 10:10 am   Permalink

I kind of like those lights from Lowe's. And they don't have purple painted on them either, which always kinda bugs me.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Kaiwaza

View Profile of Kaiwaza Send a personal message to Kaiwaza  Email Kaiwaza     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Michelle66
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-04-27 05:14 am   Permalink

As you might know, Mad magazine's corporate office was recently relocated from New York to California.

Since most of the NY staff decided not to make the move, the magazine got a new editor, plus a bunch of new production personnel.

Because the magazine got a new office and a new production team, they also decided to reboot things and start over with #1. (Mad's new logo is based on the one it had in the 1950s, when it was a comic book.)

My copy of #1 arrived the other day, and in it was an offer for an Alfred E. Neuman mini tiki mug free if you buy a 2 or 3 year subscription. (The offer is only good for US residents, which stinks for us expatriates.)

Truth be told, it's not very "tiki" at all, but I probably would have liked one anyway.

https://www.madmagazine.com

View Profile of Michelle66 Send a personal message to Michelle66      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2018-04-27 06:00 am   Permalink

Michelle66, thanks for the update on Mad Magazine, I had no idea all that had transpired. I let my subscription lapse late last year because I had a number of magazines I wasn't taking the time to read. (Cocktail books for some reason have had highest priority, lol...) Hang on to that Issue #1!

The mug? Tongue-in-cheek tiki, and another reminder of the impression the tiki revival has made in today's culture. We have enough tiki around us now that I think it will last many more decades and may even cause another "tiki revival" in 50 or so years from now.

Too bad the Alfred E. Neuman mug isn't available in a full-size version. That's the kind of thing I would love to use among certain circles of friends. (Along with my Monty Python "Holy Grail" mug/chalice, see pic below.)

Cheers!

[Edited to add grail pic]

[ This Message was edited by: AceExplorer 2018-04-27 06:07 ]

Michelle66
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-05-25 04:36 am   Permalink

This picture of the Alfred E. Neuman mini tiki mug was posted over at madmagazine.com:

I like how they got Alfie's crooked eyes right (his right eye is a bit higher than his left).

I really think this is the coolest perk for buying a new subscription they've ever offered.

[ This Message was edited by: Michelle66 2018-05-26 01:16 ]

View Profile of Michelle66 Send a personal message to Michelle66      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pelorus
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-07-03 7:57 pm   Permalink

While antiquing in Point Pleasant, NJ today, I had the opportunity to see some truly horrible tiki merch, and the equally horrible Martell's Tiki Bar (owners of tikibar DOT com).

Let's start with Martell's Tiki Bar, located on the Martell's Boardwark:

A doorway to a sobering experience:

We couldn't bring ourselves to order the Mai Tai, so we got the Captain Teddy and the Pina Colada. One-note and generic, not particularly flavorful. It was a very hot day, so these actually cooled us down a bit. Ridiculously overpriced.

Nary a tiki to be found in this "tiki bar". We knew this going in. It's a Jimmy Buffet-style vaguely tropical area with lots of tables (some with thatch umbrellas), and lots of bars. The bartenders were all friendly. The place wouldn't irritate so much if they didn't call themselves a tiki bar and operate "tikibar DOT com". It just perpetuates incorrect ideas and conceptions of tiki.

Which brings me to one of the gift shops at Martell's Boardwalk:

Magnets that look like a cross between tiki and the Electric Light Parade:

This was labelled as "Coconut Tiki Head", but I think they meant "Coconut Luchador":

I will admit this lamp was kinda neat:

View Profile of Pelorus Send a personal message to Pelorus      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitube
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 20 days ago; 06:35 am   Permalink

Ugh... inflatable tiki.

View Profile of tikitube Send a personal message to tikitube      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 19 days ago; 8:40 pm   Permalink

Ugggh! They didn't even understand how to utilize the four main posts as Tikis, pasting those too-small bright colored masks on them. And what;s that on top? Alien pods sticking out of this mutated creation? They can't be palm trees, for certain!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 19 days ago; 8:54 pm   Permalink

Oh, The Wife would taunt me with that bouncy-castle tiki bar. She'd threaten to order it from here to eternity if she every got annoyed with me. She punches below the belt that way!
www.JaymeBlaschke.com

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Email Prikli Pear Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation