FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Mauna Loa, Detroit, MI (bar)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Mauna Loa, Detroit, MI (bar)
Chub
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-09 09:50 am   Permalink

Here are some of the Mauna Loa pieces I have in my collection. The 4' tiki was found on Craigslist in Detroit. Person I bought it from said that at one time they had many more, but most were rotten, so they got rid of them. Aaaarrrggg!!! Notice that on both sides there is a hole where a bamboo railing would probably go into.

The magazine scan came thanks to Bob and Leroy over at O.A.

Two different matchbooks.

Drum and Cauldron mug

[ This Message was edited by: Chub 2008-01-09 09:54 ]

[ This Message was edited by: chub 2008-01-09 13:09 ]

View Profile of Chub Send a personal message to Chub  Goto the website of Chub     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-09 10:22 am   Permalink

Nice!!!

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-09 1:49 pm   Permalink

Damn Chub!!! Nice collection you have going there. I see that the post you have is shown on Bigbro's post on page 1. Man I'd love to find one of those to put in the "Ceremonial Garden" down in my lounge. I'd have to add on a bit though to make room. Vintage Michigan is hard to come by these days. Thanks for posting.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonga Trader
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-01-16 10:01 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-01-03 14:46, bigbrotiki wrote:
I know that the Chin Tiki took over the bar with the embedded Chinese coins and put it up in their upstairs lounge, but that was all I recognized there....hey LightedPalmTreeGuy, is the Chin Tiki building still standing? Someone should document it's destruction.

I'll field this one, bigbro. It was still there on Monday, but there's a construction fence around it and the adjacent buildings, so the time might be nigh. I happened to ride the "People Mover" for the first time when I was just there, and you can see it from the train, too (for now.) So, this must be the bar that's turned up at Livonia Chin's, then. Had a Mai Tai on it recently and didn't know its history went beyond Chin Tiki.

TT

View Profile of Tonga Trader Send a personal message to Tonga Trader      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-16 12:08 pm   Permalink

Oh really, it went to Chin's? It's a huge f#$%in' bar, right? With Chinese coins embedded in resin? That must have been quite a moving job to get it over to Livonia....

Well if they got that thing out of there, it proves that the the Chin Tiki must be an empty shell by now. They must be sitting on a bunch of cool Witco. Wonder where all the plastic plants went.

The difficulty with getting pictures of a Tiki temple being torn down is that no one knows what day the wreckers will do it. Wonder if there is some kind of permit office that can give that info...

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-16 1:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-01-16 12:08, bigbrotiki wrote:
Oh really, it went to Chin's? It's a huge f#$%in' bar, right? With Chinese coins embedded in resin? That must have been quite a moving job to get it over to Livonia....

Well if they got that thing out of there, it proves that the the Chin Tiki must be an empty shell by now. They must be sitting on a bunch of cool Witco. Wonder where all the plastic plants went.

The difficulty with getting pictures of a Tiki temple being torn down is that no one knows what day the wreckers will do it. Wonder if there is some kind of permit office that can give that info...

the chins livonia location is way too small to house the whole thing..they must have cut a part of it out and installed it that way...any witco and tiki worth salvaging is already either in the chins livonia location or being stored in marlin chins garage at his house (according to marlin himself)...i doubt there's anything left worth salvaging from the place except moldy plastic plants. The chins are well aware of the collectability of tiki stuff and i don't think they left any behind.

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chub
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-18 10:28 am   Permalink

Here's a pic of the Mauna Loa as it still was standing in the mid-late 1970's. I'm guessing by the car out front, it could even be the 1980's. Sad to see it with the facade falling off and a For Sale sign on it. The Mauna Loa was torn down ( not sure what year)for the expansion of the St. Regis Hotel next door.

[ This Message was edited by: Chub 2008-01-18 10:30 ]

View Profile of Chub Send a personal message to Chub  Goto the website of Chub     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonga Trader
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-01-21 08:35 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-01-16 12:08, bigbrotiki wrote:

Well, it's just a piece of it then. It does have the Chinese coins embedded in the top. Maybe someone local can elucidate.

TT

View Profile of Tonga Trader Send a personal message to Tonga Trader      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
maunaloamcgee

Posted: 2008-01-24 10:11 am   Permalink

OK, when I was about 8 or 9, my folks took me and my sister to the Mauna Loa. It was a big deal because it was EXPENSIVE and we drove 3 and half hours from Battle Creek to do it. You can't imagine how excited my crazy dad was to take us there. There was a river inside. There was a deep pool where on one night a week a diver would dive for pearls. I definitely had a drink in a pineapple. This is not the kind of thing we did often. I am so sad to hear that it is completely gone. I don't know what made me Google the Mauna Loa today. I'm really glad I did. I'll ask my mom (the only one of us besides me who is still living) what else she remembers about it. Wow.

View Profile of maunaloamcgee Send a personal message to maunaloamcgee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
maunaloamcgee

Posted: 2008-01-24 10:16 am   Permalink

OK, when I was about 8 or 9, my folks took me and my sister to the Mauna Loa. It was a big deal because it was EXPENSIVE and we drove 3 and half hours from Battle Creek to do it. You can't imagine how excited my crazy dad was to take us there. There was a river inside. There was a deep pool where on one night a week a diver would dive for pearls. I definitely had a drink in a pineapple. This is not the kind of thing we did often. I am so sad to hear that it is completely gone. I don't know what made me Google the Mauna Loa today. I'm really glad I did. I'll ask my mom (the only one of us besides me who is still living) what else she remembers about it. Wow.

View Profile of maunaloamcgee Send a personal message to maunaloamcgee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-24 11:13 am   Permalink

when i met george nakashima, the architect (a year before he died) , i asked about the mauna loa...i guess it was only open for 8 months before it closed...there were too many investors and people involved with the place from the beginning...they started to lose money rapidly due to some of the folks embezzling money directly from the place and also giving away alot of free food, drinks, and such favors to friends, politicians, celebrites etc....eventually the place imploded on itself and went bankrupt...but, man that must have been some swinging time to be a regular there for those 8 months....imagine all the scandalous stuff you could have witnessed or even been involved in!! chins bought a bunch of stuff from the mauna loa during the auction...some of which was never used in chins, but just kept in storage...

[ This Message was edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-01-24 11:14 ]

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-03 07:26 am   Permalink

Just wodering if anyone on TC had a copy of the drink menu from the Mauna Loa. If so could they share some good phtos or scans. Would be great to see. Thanks

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
panampia
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-02-03 8:59 pm   Permalink

There is a "lunch menu" from the restaurant on the bay right now, (not my auction), up in 22 days, with a buy it now for $100. Too much for me, but maybe someone here may want it?

View Profile of panampia Send a personal message to panampia  Email panampia     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-04 11:11 am   Permalink

Trav, I dug up this only slide I have, for you. I remember this being the page that featured the most theme mugs:

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-04 3:55 pm   Permalink

Look at those prices. I'm really enjoying all this digging

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation