FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Mauna Loa, Detroit, MI (bar)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Mauna Loa, Detroit, MI (bar)
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-07 4:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-01-03 14:46, bigbrotiki wrote:

I had always assumed that my green, 3-faced lamp was from a Steve Crane location, but I guess it's safe to say it's a Mauna Loa piece as it was found in the Detroit area.

-Z

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tattoo
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-03-18 2:21 pm   Permalink

Some more pictures I found on the net. These are from the Detroit News Archives held by Wayne State University.

View Profile of Tattoo Send a personal message to Tattoo  Email Tattoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-18 2:44 pm   Permalink

Hey!!!!!! Great stuff Tatto. Thanks for posting.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chub
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-18 11:46 pm   Permalink

Chub like what Tattoo find! Detroit Tiki is good.

[ This Message was edited by: Chub 2008-03-18 23:47 ]

View Profile of Chub Send a personal message to Chub  Goto the website of Chub     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jmack
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-04-05 08:51 am   Permalink

Hi Guys,

It's funny that I found this forum! I Googled it after my grandmother gave me these 10 odd looking glasses. She said it was from an old restaraunt she went to in Detroit a LOOONG time ago (30-40 years ago). So now I have these 7 mint codition tiki cups right from Mauna Loa with the sticker on em and everything.

Its such a joy to read the history of this really cool restaraunt and its sad that it no longer exists. Here is a pic of the glasses.

Should I try putting them on ebay?

If anyone is interested in purchasing these, shoot me an email!
jtmack@gmail.com

[ This Message was edited by: jmack 2008-04-05 08:52 ]

View Profile of jmack Send a personal message to jmack      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-05 1:29 pm   Permalink

You most likely made some people really happy with this find, I hope Trav, Chub and Tatoo got some of them.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-06 10:38 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-05 13:29, bigbrotiki wrote:
I hope Trav, Chub and Tatoo got some of them.

Ya know bigbro... if I didn't happen to find one myself 2 weeks ago, I'd almost feel left out

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-13 08:18 am   Permalink

I got little curious about this photo and did a little messing around with it. Sorry about the color but this was the best way to see the relief panels on the exterior of the building. Thought it was interesting. Thanks.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-13 10:23 am   Permalink

Nice. I am planning to include various modernist concrete patterns (this one, Chin Tiki, Trader's Beverly Hills, etc.) in my "Look of Tiki" book

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jmack
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-05-14 7:18 pm   Permalink

To be fair, I posted it up on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200224246589

View Profile of jmack Send a personal message to jmack      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chub
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-15 8:38 pm   Permalink

So Jmack, you sign up to tikicentral just to offer a mug to us here first; we respond by email, but get no response from you what so ever, and then you just put it up on ebay. Thanks dude! Hope the auction works out for you.

PS. This isn't the right place to be posting about ebay listings.

View Profile of Chub Send a personal message to Chub  Goto the website of Chub     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-16 1:06 pm   Permalink

Chub, same here happened to me. Thought maybe the email got lost in space. And what about all the other mugs. Only one?

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jmack
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-05-29 9:00 pm   Permalink

oh sorry,

i just got flooded guys.. i didnt get a chance to respond to everyone, which is why i just came back here...

i posted another one up here...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200228042237

Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2008-05-29 9:33 pm   Permalink

jmack please keep your commercials out of Locating Tiki. Don't worry people will still find your items for sale via any one of the other posts you've left.

Thank you.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-02 2:07 pm   Permalink

I figured I would add this picture here as this was a great post until the eBay offers and mug talk came into it so let's get it back on track.

I came across this item and thought I would put a picture of it here.
It is something I have never seen before but it supposedly came out of the Detroit Mauna Loa. I say supposedly as it is not marked Mauna Loa but was reported as coming from the estate of a cook who worked at The Mauna Loa in Detroit, Michigan.

Back of plate. Maker Marked:

You might be thinking the same as me, just because it came from the estate of someone who worked there, how do we know it was actually something used there or sold??
Good question and I don't have the answer.
Everything I have seen from this establishment has the Mauna Loa name right on it. It was around for such a short time that I was thinking if they would even have something like this and again, without their name on it?
Even their utensils and that other documented plate had their name on it so why do this??

It looks like it could be possible as the frog is a symbol that was used by a few different Pacific cultures. At first I thought it looked quite Native American but I am not an expert.
Just kind of putting it here to see what some of you thought.
Will update if I get any more info.

Mahalo, TabooDan

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation