FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Mauna Loa, Detroit, MI (bar)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Mauna Loa, Detroit, MI (bar)
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-13 11:24 am   Permalink

John, Thanks for sharing your memories with us. Do I remember someone obtaining the blueprints for the Mauna Loa from George Nakashima? Maybe my memory is going. Sure would be great to see a full spread layout of the interior.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johnotak
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-09-13 8:56 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-09-13 09:07, GatorRob wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-09-12 09:14, tikiyaki wrote:
Damn...$35 for 2 people in 1968 ?

That's like a $200 check for two nowadays....

$219.26 to be exact! (Well, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics anyway.) I'm guessing Dad had a few rums drinks on that bill. Then again, they were only a couple dollars each back then...

Good description of the place John. I'm amazed you remember so much considering it was 42 years ago.

It's funny what you remember, and I hope my memories of the place are fairly accurate. The Mauna Loa made a real impression on my young mind. That's why after all this time I decided to look for information on it through the Internet. My older brother says our dad took him there too. Strange how I remember what I drank that evening, but I can't remember what I ate. Probably because it was the only time I had ever had coconut milk. You remember those jungle shows on TV you saw as a kid?- where they chop off the top of a coconut to get a drink, maybe that's why I wanted to try it. I seem to remember that the drink came in a real pineapple, they chopped the top off the pineapple - hollowed it out - and put the drink in. My mother (who is still alive) remembers finding a pineapple in the fridge - probably because we never bought pineapples for anything back then, so it was memorable. And yes, I'm sure my old man kept the bartender busy that night (and then drove us home!) The good old days??

I kind of remember the Mauna Loa in the same way as I remember highlights of going to Disney world, or Expo '67 in Montreal. My Mauna Loa excursion remains one of my most cherished memories, like a dream you never want to forget. I have never experienced anything quite like it again. The Mauna Loa was a mind-blower, It still captures my imagination after all these years. Its my never ending obsessive memory. I wish things (and times) were that cool again so places like the Mauna Loa could still exist.

I remember coming home from Expo '67 with my parents and not being allowed over the border into Detroit, as the city was on fire and the riots were going on. We had to stay in Windsor Ontario for the night, when we did get over the border I remember seeing military vehicles with guns and guys who looked like they were in the army. Weird times for my young eyes.

It is funny what you remember. Its not the common place stuff, its the unusual things that stick out. The Mauna Loa being one of them, and I mean that in the most positive sense.

That's interesting about the price, and the modern valuation. I seem to remember that my Schwinn Stingray cost my dad around 50 or 60 dollars?

Uh oh! I think I see a new obsession coming on with these Mauna Loa memories and the cool stuff on this site! Next time I go to Livonia I'm going to check out Chins on Plymouth road. My own Tiki room and bar? Something to think about now for sure.

Thanks

John B.

[ This Message was edited by: johnotak 2010-09-13 21:11 ]

[ This Message was edited by: johnotak 2010-09-15 05:32 ]

View Profile of johnotak Send a personal message to johnotak      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johnotak
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-09-13 9:08 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-09-13 11:24, uncle trav wrote:
John, Thanks for sharing your memories with us. Do I remember someone obtaining the blueprints for the Mauna Loa from George Nakashima? Maybe my memory is going. Sure would be great to see a full spread layout of the interior.

It is my pleasure tell the story, thanks. Why did my one visit to the Mauna Loa stay in my head as such a vivid memory? I can't figure this out exactly. Oh to have a time machine. I still think that the Mauna Loa was my greatest restaurant experience of all time. That must sound crazy?Lol.

I would love to see a layout or blueprint of the Mauna Loa, to see how accurate my memory is about the way it was set up. And I would especially love to see a color photo of the bar with the waterfall behind it. I seem to remember lots of waterfalls in the place.

Cheers

John B.

View Profile of johnotak Send a personal message to johnotak      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johnotak
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-09-14 10:29 am   Permalink

Newspaper clippings about the Mauna Loa in Detroit. The one story says that it started in 65/66, but I don't think this is at all correct. You can't believe everything you read in the paper as they say. But all this stuff does give a better idea of the financial difficulties going on in the city at that time, which of course affected all businesses in Detroit.

From 1970:

From 1971, the end. How long had it been closed before going into receivership I wonder?

I was surprised I found these

John B.

Ok, I see how to post photos now.

[ This Message was edited by: johnotak 2010-09-14 10:41 ]

johnotak
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-09-14 10:43 am   Permalink

I don't know why that clipping from 1970 came out so small? Sorry. I will try and repost it later.
John B.

[ This Message was edited by: johnotak 2010-09-14 10:49 ]

Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2010-09-14 10:49 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-09-14 10:43, johnotak wrote:
I don't know why that clipping from 1970 came out so small? Sorry.

John B.

When using TC to host images, they are automatically resized to a height of 640 pixels. I suppose there might be a limit for width too.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johnotak
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-09-14 10:51 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-09-14 10:49, Hakalugi wrote:
Quote:

John B.

When using TC to host images, they are automatically resized to a height of 640 pixels. I suppose there might be a limit for width too.

Thanks, I will get it figured out, I can probably lessen its width by rearranging the text.

Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2010-09-14 10:53 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-09-14 10:51, johnotak wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-09-14 10:49, Hakalugi wrote:
Quote:

John B.

Thanks, I will get it figured out, I can probably lessen its width by rearranging the text.

Just cut that first image into two parts and it should read fine.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johnotak
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-09-14 10:59 am   Permalink

Ok, lets see if this helps:

1970:

johnotak
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-09-14 11:15 am   Permalink

Ok, one more - an early one. I think it took quite a while for the whole thing to come together.

1965:

John B.

Chub
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-15 11:11 am   Permalink

Just when I thought I had seen all there was from the Mauna Loa mug wise, along comes another!

View Profile of Chub Send a personal message to Chub  Goto the website of Chub     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Central Poet Laureate

Posted: 2010-10-15 1:07 pm   Permalink

With the notch on the side of the lid like that, I'm guessing sugar bowl instead of drinking vessel. Beautiful piece!

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-15 1:50 pm   Permalink

Interesting....& a GREAT piece!! Looks a bit Westwood inspired, too

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kohalacharms
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-10-15 2:10 pm   Permalink

Eric,

Great find! I've been on the 'look out' for one of these ever since tikifish let me in on an ebay listing she saw many years ago. The version you found is slightly different; I agree that it definitely has a "Westwood" look to it with the angular facial features.

The version I've been searching for is has more flowing facial lines and a more detailed design of it's lid:

View Profile of kohalacharms Send a personal message to kohalacharms      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-15 6:38 pm   Permalink

Chub,

Did you win that? If so congrats, that is a great piece.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation