FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Mauna Loa, Detroit, MI (bar)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Mauna Loa, Detroit, MI (bar)
Chub
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-15 8:48 pm   Permalink

Thanks everyone for the kind words on the piece. Yes, I was high bidder on this one. Looks like a condiment jar to me too. I thinks it's the most I've ever had to pay for a single piece. I usually only buy in the wild and stay away from the eBay, but I couldn't help myself this time. Ha ha....
And wow Kohalacharms! I had no idea there were three different designs. How cool is that! Hope we can find all three at some point. I think I'd have a much easier time finding them in the wild if I was still living in Detroit. Oh well... L.A. will have to do for now.

[ This Message was edited by: Chub 2010-10-15 20:55 ]

View Profile of Chub Send a personal message to Chub  Goto the website of Chub     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LMK

Posted: 2011-06-16 09:29 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-10-27 11:54, uncle trav wrote:
Picked up these four glasses today. Anything from the Mauna Loa is rare but four glasses at one stop is a treasure trove. Sorry about the milk cocktail but it shows off the name well. I also messed around with one of the pics on the thread and brought out some great background detail. Thanks.

Here is the before pic.

And the after. Note the large carving next to the woman seated in the background. And the large capiz shell globe lamp in the upper right.

I have an unopened case of these glasses. I would like to sell them either by the piece or the whole case. I do not know what they are worth, so please send me offers if you have any interest. I am in the Detroit area. please email me at
bcamk@aol.com Thanks

View Profile of LMK Send a personal message to LMK      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tattoo
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-09-15 2:09 pm   Permalink

Although the cover has been posted earlier, I thought I'd add a couple shots of the inside...

View Profile of Tattoo Send a personal message to Tattoo  Email Tattoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-18 10:06 am   Permalink

Tattoo,

Nice menu, I have always wanted one of those.

Here is the illustration of the Mauna Loa along with the recipe from a 1968 Ford Times book that I posted on another thread.

But wait, there's more. I picked up this news wire photo of the architectural rendering of the Mauna Loa. A very cool piece.

Here some text from the back of the photo.

And the news article that was taped to the back that lists the sports star investors.

This place burned so bright but for such a short time.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZuluMagoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-18 4:47 pm   Permalink

Execllent find DC! That rendering is great.

Who is the artist, I can't make out the signature?

Can we see the rest of the type text on the back of the photo.

Zulu

View Profile of ZuluMagoo Send a personal message to ZuluMagoo  Email ZuluMagoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-19 2:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-09-18 16:47, ZuluMagoo wrote:
Execllent find DC! That rendering is great.

Who is the artist, I can't make out the signature?

Can we see the rest of the type text on the back of the photo.

Zulu

Thanks Zulu,

Interesting thing about the architectural rendering is that it depicted graphics on the front of the hut structure similar to those you would find on a traditional Polynesian meeting house.

But the finished project did not have these. Maybe ran out of money?

The signature on the rendering is S. D. Neilson, maybe the architect?

I could not get to the rest of the typed message on the back of the photo as the newspaper article is taped over it and I did not want to damage it.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-25 5:49 pm   Permalink

Here is a fairly rare Mauna Loa spear swizzle stick I just got.

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-13 08:16 am   Permalink

I saw these two old newswire photos of ebay from the Mauna Loa.

The first is of the groundbreaking ceremony held on May, 1966.

The second is a great shot of the lava rock waterfall and pond area out front.

This place was a real shooting star.

DC

Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-13 2:43 pm   Permalink

That was one swank joint. It's too bad it died such a quick death!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-14 06:20 am   Permalink

Man, I had missed the first posting of that architect's rendering - what a catch! I am so glad these items are not falling through the cracks.

Quote:

On 2011-09-19 14:35, Dustycajun wrote:
Interesting thing about the architectural rendering is that it depicted graphics on the front of the hut structure similar to those you would find on a traditional Polynesian meeting house.

ANOTHER interesting thing is that the storyboard paintings on the front of the rendering are very similar to the ones on the Kon Tiki Montreal entrance:

Indubitably because both were designed by the same designer: George Nakashima

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2012-09-14 09:08 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dangergirl

Posted: 2012-12-16 10:09 pm   Permalink

I was researching this place since my dad (B.F. "Rickey" Enriquez) was the assistant manager and I had some items from there. He passed away a few years ago. I believe my mom still has some of the mugs/glasses. I'm posting the items I do have, which isn't much. He worked there before I was born. Also, it's interesting about the mention of the Kon Tiki since there was a cocktail menu from there in his things. The menu is signed by Vice President Hubert Humphrey.

[ This Message was edited by: dangergirl 2012-12-16 22:13 ]

View Profile of dangergirl Send a personal message to dangergirl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-17 11:21 am   Permalink

Love that smoking drink photo, thank you, Dangergirl. Hopefully you will unearth some more material and post it here, Mahalo!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dangergirl

Posted: 2012-12-18 09:25 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-12-17 11:21, bigbrotiki wrote:
Love that smoking drink photo, thank you, Dangergirl. Hopefully you will unearth some more material and post it here, Mahalo!

Thanks! I will post more if I find it.

View Profile of dangergirl Send a personal message to dangergirl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-18 5:49 pm   Permalink

Dangergirl,

Thanks for posting, look forward to seeing more from your collection. Do you know where that magazine article came from?

DC

Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-19 11:00 am   Permalink

Dangergirl,
Post everything you have! It will be most appreciated here. Thank you for finding us!

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation