FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Mauna Loa, Detroit, MI (bar)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 )
Mauna Loa, Detroit, MI (bar)
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-09-06 3:31 pm   Permalink

Finally scored a vintage Mauna Loa mini menu in mint condition. Beautifully printed with great graphics on heavy paper.

I love the ML branding iron graphic.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-10-25 09:28 am   Permalink

With my last mug find, I'm officially done with the Mauna Loa.
Not pictured: water glass still boxed away.

Thank God The Tiki Bar Is Open
Thank God The Tiki Torch Still Shines...

[ This Message was edited by: Feelin' Zombified 2015-10-25 09:28 ]

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tattoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-10-25 10:08 am   Permalink

WOW! What a great collection and the lamp is a real nice added bonus. You just need to buy a fitter and build yourself a new top. Congrats

View Profile of Tattoo Send a personal message to Tattoo  Email Tattoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-01-22 03:46 am   Permalink

I saw these Mauna Loa paper napkins up for sale on eBay awhile back. I have never seen these before. I thought I would save the pic as I lost the auction. Twenty paper napkins sold for $53 !!

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Bannow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-28 12:26 pm   Permalink

Did the Mauna Loa have any signature drinks? It would be cool to recreate something from there for my home bar.

View Profile of Jeff Bannow Send a personal message to Jeff Bannow      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-28 5:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-03-28 12:26, Jeff Bannow wrote:
Did the Mauna Loa have any signature drinks? It would be cool to recreate something from there for my home bar.

Unfortunately the recipes from the Mauna Loa may be lost. The menu images and descriptions on page eight of this thread give a hint as to what they were like. I have said it before in this thread and it still rings true. The Mauna Loa is one of those places that has moved into the realm of legend. Opened for such a short time documentation and artifacts are rare.

Jeff Bannow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-30 05:18 am   Permalink

That's too bad. I guess I'll have to do a tribute drink instead.

View Profile of Jeff Bannow Send a personal message to Jeff Bannow      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-05-01 08:16 am   Permalink

One of the lingering mysteries of the Mauna Loa is the cauldron mug. These mugs have been a puzzling relic of the legendary Detroit location for years. It has been speculated that these may have been used to sever soup in as the mug doesn't appear in the cocktail menu. I believe these were actually drink mugs that never made it to the restaurant in time for the printing of the menu. Maybe delayed due to the elaborate construction of the mug. Many of the mugs that have been found in the past few years have included the original shipping box hinting to the fact they never made it onto the restaurant cocktail line. I believe these would have not been a good vessel to serve soup in a restaurant. The double walled construction of the mug may not have held up well to repeated banging with a spoon over time. Just a few thoughts that may be all wrong but I thought I'd throw out there for consideration. Here are a few pics of the mug I picked up recently. Thanks.

[ This Message was edited by: uncle trav 2016-05-01 08:47 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2016 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation