FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Classic tiki on Maui or Big Island?
Classic tiki on Maui or Big Island?
srichardm

Posted: 2014-07-03 7:47 pm   Permalink

Any classic tiki bars on Maui or Big Island? I'm thinking of the classic La Mariana on Oahu, not the lame tiki joint at the Kaanapali Hotel. We need wonderfully tacky, oldish; I haven't found anything close on either of those islands, or Kauai for that matter.

View Profile of srichardm Send a personal message to srichardm      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PremEx
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-03 8:14 pm   Permalink

Mama's Fish House on Maui is about the "classiest" on Maui, I guess. Fantastic restaurant and food. Not cheap, but worth it, IMHO. Great hawaiiana atmosphere and the area surrounding the restaurant and bar is spectacular.

Also on Maui there is the South Shore Tiki Lounge. Not what I would call classy, but still worth a visit if you're in the area. Lot's of great touristy shops surrounding it which remind me of the now sadly gone International Marketplace on Oahu.

Big Island...Don The Beachcomber at the Royal Kona Resort is really the only one that might fall into the classy category that I know of. But of note and worth a visit is the Seafood Bar and Grill, which is North of Kona in Kawaihae. They got some tiki going on:

http://mamasfishhouse.com/
http://www.southshoretikilounge.com/
http://www.royalkona.com/Dining.cfm
http://www.seafoodbarandgrill.com/

Classic and/or tacky? Maybe. There may be others, but that's all have personal experience with.

[ This Message was edited by: PremEx 2014-07-03 20:16 ]

View Profile of PremEx Send a personal message to PremEx      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiVato
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-03 10:40 pm   Permalink

I like the Tahiti Nui on Kauai. Been there a few times. Classic old school tiki bar. I have not been to the newly opened Tiki Iniki on Kauai but Bamboo Ben did his magic there so the decor must be good.

View Profile of TikiVato Send a personal message to TikiVato  Email TikiVato     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-03 11:59 pm   Permalink

I wouldn’t call Mama’s Fish House a tiki bar but I would certainly pay em a visit when I’m on Maui. There’s plenny tiki on the grounds though and as mentioned earlier the food is ono!. I also agree with TikiVato-don’t miss Tahiti Nui. Imho, Iniki has a great look but Ben couldn’t teach em how to make a proper cocktail. Maybe they’ve improved since last summer
Have fun!

[ This Message was edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2014-07-04 00:04 ]

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-04 11:22 am   Permalink

THat is a great website for Mama's Fishouse. Have only been to Kauai a couple of times. Thanks for sharing those links.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-05 4:13 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-07-03 19:47, srichardm wrote:
Any classic tiki bars on Maui or Big Island? I'm thinking of the classic La Mariana on Oahu, not the lame tiki joint at the Kaanapali Hotel. We need wonderfully tacky, oldish; I haven't found anything close on either of those islands, or Kauai for that matter.

Aloha, Srichardm:

After reading BigBro's chapter on Hawaiian Tiki bars in the Tiki Road Trip, or appreciating that on Oahu, the historic International Market Place was just destroyed just like the Hawaiian Hut before, you may have a greater appreciation for any Tiki which survives the seemingly inevitable Hawaiian wrecking ball.

The Tiki Terrace at Maui's Ka'anapali Beach Hotel now qualifies as a "classic tiki bar" based on its age.

On the Big Island, the Royal Kona:

The Big Island also has incredible historical Hawaiian Tiki:

Ahu'ena Heiau, a temple dedicated to Lono who was the Hawaiian God of peace, agriculture and prosperity.

Pu'uhonua O Honaunau National Historical Park (Place of Refuge)
http://www.nps.gov/puho/index.htm

[ This Message was edited by: christiki295 2014-07-05 17:12 ]

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation