Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Tiki bought in Ft. Lauderdale
Tiki bought in Ft. Lauderdale
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-24 08:34 am   Permalink

Swanky and I bought this little guy at the first and only antique shop we had time for while in Ft. Lauderdale for Hukilau. I think he's beautiful. He was the only tiki in the place other than some great postcards we picked up.

The World of Tiki Kiliki

[ This Message was edited by: tiki_kiliki on 2003-07-24 08:35 ]

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Suburban Hipster
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-24 09:15 am   Permalink

Nice find. It looks to be a great companion piece to the tiki brought back for you from Bora Bora.

View Profile of Suburban Hipster Send a personal message to Suburban Hipster  Email Suburban Hipster     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McDougall
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-24 7:52 pm   Permalink

Amazing! I've been living here (in Ft Lauderdale) for 5 years and have searched every antique, goodwill, ect... in the whole area. Found a freshly made Mai Kai mug once for 2 bucks more than the Mai Kai down the street sells them for about 2 years ago. 'Bout it. Must be a talent (that I don't have). Back to #%^&*& ebay I go.

View Profile of McDougall Send a personal message to McDougall  Email McDougall Goto the website of McDougall     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-24 9:40 pm   Permalink

Nice Cook Islander, Christy!

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-24 10:35 pm   Permalink

Double WOW! Another nice score.

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-25 2:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-07-24 21:40, Basement Kahuna wrote:
Nice Cook Islander, Christy!

Not quite, BK, it's a tourist carving from the Marquesas, in classic Marquesan style.

Might have been bought in Tahiti, since most Tikis you see there are Marquesan style, because the ancient Tahitians did not have a noteworthy carving tradition of their own. In the 20th century a lot of Marquesan carvers moved to Tahiti because of the tourist trade.

Funny thing is that the Marquesans don't really want to be part of French Tahiti, but their rich artistic tradition provides most of the Tiki AND Tatoo imagery there.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation