FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » Other Events » » Tiki Group in NJ?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Tiki Group in NJ?
PurpleXombie
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-07-06 11:07 am   Permalink

I'm from Central NJ and interested in starting a group of fellow people from around the area to go to tiki bars/restaurants (Lun Wah, Jade Isle, Lee's Hawaiian Islander, Chan's Dragon Inn, Otto's Shrunken Head, etc) None of my friends are into the tiki scene and it's getting annoying trying to talk them into going to these places.

View Profile of PurpleXombie Send a personal message to PurpleXombie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-15 07:56 am   Permalink

I'm from central NJ too. I've been to Lee's Hawaiian Islander, Otto's and Luh Wan, just recently. I'm curious to find out how many people from our area are into tiki. No one I know locally is, although the appreciate my backyard. (Or pretend to!)

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
exquisitecorpse
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-15 4:39 pm   Permalink

i live in philadelphia and always try to hit up those places when i am making ar trip up to nyc.

View Profile of exquisitecorpse Send a personal message to exquisitecorpse  Goto the website of exquisitecorpse     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PurpleXombie
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-07-15 11:07 pm   Permalink

Lori, how did you like Lun Wah? I love the décor there. I also went to Otto’s in May and I got the 10th anniversary mug. It’s pretty awesome. Is your backyard really tikified? I wish I had a home tiki bar.

Exquisitecorpse, how often do you get to NYC? Are there any tiki places in Philly at all?

Jeff

View Profile of PurpleXombie Send a personal message to PurpleXombie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
exquisitecorpse
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-16 12:59 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-07-15 23:07, PurpleXombie wrote:
Exquisitecorpse, how often do you get to NYC? Are there any tiki places in Philly at all?

I got to NYC about once a month or so.
Otto's is great, although the drinks can be hit or miss depending on who is working.
I have also been to Lee's Hawaiian and Chan's Dragon Inn once each. Lu Wah and Jade Island are on my list.

There are no Tiki places in Philly currently.
They are planning on opening a "tiki" bar sometime this summer but it seems like it will be more of a hipster bar that happens to serve tiki drinks.

View Profile of exquisitecorpse Send a personal message to exquisitecorpse  Goto the website of exquisitecorpse     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-16 4:29 pm   Permalink

"Exquisitecorpse, how often do you get to NYC? Are there any tiki places in Philly at all? "

Jeff

Cuba Libre not tiki but lots o rum.
And they squeeze there own sugar cane right at the bar.
http://cubalibrerestaurant.com/menus/city/Philadelphia/menu/58-BEVERAGES

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Roadtiki

Posted: 2014-07-16 9:20 pm   Permalink

This thread reminds me of the classic Joe Piscopo SNL skit, 'I'm from Jersey, are you from Jersey'. Anyway I am from central NJ and what about the local Tiki Bars. The fun is in finding the hidden places not on the radar. There is one on Ocean Ave. in Sea Bright for instance. Frankly I'm really not into bars but I am planning to Tikify the back yard next summer. Just spent all my yearly yard budget on the new privacy fence to start it off.

Dave C.

View Profile of Roadtiki Send a personal message to Roadtiki  Email Roadtiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-16 9:38 pm   Permalink

What exit?
Hope you guys get a Tiki gang together! We really enjoy our San Diego meet-ups.
Some day I'm going to visit some of those NJ area places.

View Profile of bamalamalu Send a personal message to bamalamalu  Email bamalamalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-17 10:36 am   Permalink

Luh Wan is work going to for the decor alone. It is filled with tiki goodness! Great lampsf or example.

The food's fine - pretty much Chinese.

The drinks are AWFUL. Seriously bad. Such a disapointment but thanks to Critiki I can't say I was surprised.

Yes, I've tikified my backyard. Here's my thread -
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=42865&forum=20&57

We haven't done anything yet this year except hang up my hammock. we just completely redid the kitchen so the backyard wasn't a priority.

What place on Ocean Avenue Roadtiki? Please tell!

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tabuzak
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-17 10:59 am   Permalink

Hi Lori,

When was the last time you went to Lun Wah? They changed management and I heard the drinks were greatly improved.

I have not been there myself since the change, but I never thought the drinks were horrible, just standard old school Tiki drinks.

There is a small group of NYC/NJ Tiki afficianadoes that travel to Lun Wah, Lee's, and Jade Island occasionally. I can put your email in with the rest when invitations are sent out. if you like.

Jack

View Profile of tabuzak Send a personal message to tabuzak  Email tabuzak Goto the website of tabuzak     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Roadtiki

Posted: 2014-07-17 7:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-07-17 10:36, LoriLovesTiki wrote:
Luh Wan is work going to for the decor alone. It is filled with tiki goodness! Great lampsf or example.

The food's fine - pretty much Chinese.

The drinks are AWFUL. Seriously bad. Such a disapointment but thanks to Critiki I can't say I was surprised.

Yes, I've tikified my backyard. Here's my thread - http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=42865&forum=20&57

We haven't done anything yet this year except hang up my hammock. we just completely redid the kitchen so the backyard wasn't a priority.

What place on Ocean Avenue Roadtiki? Please tell!

Ah I've seen this backyard before. I reached out to your husband and he was very helpful answering my questions. The place on Ocean Ave is called Beach Walk Hotel. They also have a Tiki Bar called Maggies Tiki Bar.

Dave C.

View Profile of Roadtiki Send a personal message to Roadtiki  Email Roadtiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-19 7:02 pm   Permalink

Hey Jack,

Long time, no talk.

We went to Lun wah on June 21st. the drinks were strong but tasteless. Definitely premixed kind of reminiscent of rum punches you might get free on a sailboat in the Caribbean. Maybe it was a bad night. It wouldn't stop me from going again though.

Definitely put me on the tiki group list. I'm pm you my email.

Lori

PurpleXombie
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-07-29 6:38 pm   Permalink

Exquisite, I agree with you about Otto's. Last time I went the bartender was kind of cold to us but the drinks were pretty good. Tikiskip, Cubelibre looks interesting. And their website says that August is rum month! Lori, your backyard looks awesome! I'm so jealous lol. I also agree with Jack that the drinks are pretty good. I went there for my birthday last August and had the Boo Loo Pineapple, though not sure if that's what they called it and the volcano bowl. The food was mediocre I agree, though the chicken "packets" in foil were delicious. I'd say the best part were the decorations. Very fun and classic tiki. I didn't know about the Beach Walk Hotel/Maggie's Tiki Bar. How is it? The only "tiki" bar I ever knew was at the Jersey shore was Martel's...No comment. Also, tonight I made a Planet of the Apes from Beachbum Berry's Remixed and put it in the Top Banana Tiki Farm mug. Off topic but it was really good

If anyone would actually like to meet up at any of these places please let me know!

Jeff

YonkersTikiHut
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-08-15 07:02 am   Permalink

I need to check this board more often cause I'm just seeing this now. I'm based in Yonkers, NY and work in Manhattan so Otto's is my regular watering hole. My husband and I are always excited to know there are more tikiphiles in the area.

Anyway I just saw on FB that the FOM are planning a Bridge and Tunnel tiki tour in October. I assume hitting Jersey and Staten Island. It should be exciting. Hope we can make.

View Profile of YonkersTikiHut Send a personal message to YonkersTikiHut      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kristiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-08-15 09:41 am   Permalink

There is going to be a bus tour of many of those places in October.

Check it out here:
http://www.fraternalorderofmoai.org/huimalu/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17960

View Profile of kristiki Send a personal message to kristiki  Goto the website of kristiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation