FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events Tiki Thirstday Oct 25, 2018 At DC's Newest Tiki Bar
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 )
Tiki Thirstday Oct 25, 2018 At DC's Newest Tiki Bar
Dr. Coruba
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-06-07 05:51 am   Permalink

(Keeping up with a weekly post is a bit much at the moment, so for now I am posting the dates for each month.
Weekly updates can still be found on
www.facebook.com/groups/TikiThirstday/ )

Our first Rum Robin was fun. There were 6 bottles up for grabs as well as a mystery bottle. All found good and appreciative homes.

For dates, address, and more details of this weeks Tiki Thirstday, go to the FIRST post of this thread.

Aloha!
Dr. Coruba

View Profile of Dr. Coruba Send a personal message to Dr. Coruba  Email Dr. Coruba     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dr. Coruba
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-09-02 3:10 pm   Permalink

Sorry for going dark for a couple of months. Had some health issues which got the better of me for awhile. I'm back, not ready to run any marathons, but I'm up for an evening at the Lounge any time.

Because the event board is not as busy as some of the other forums, we'll stick with the monthly update for now.
Weekly updates can still be found on
http://www.facebook.com/groups/TikiThirstday/

We've had a pretty great Tiki summer here in DC. Last month Martin Cate was in town at the Smithsonian for a cocktail event, and several of the craft cocktail bars had a special Tiki treasure hunt.

Tiki Thirstday is going strong and we WILL be meeting every Thursday from now until Thanksgiving.

For dates, address, and more details of this weeks Tiki Thirstday, go to the FIRST post of this thread.

Aloha!
Dr. Coruba

View Profile of Dr. Coruba Send a personal message to Dr. Coruba  Email Dr. Coruba     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dr. Coruba
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-10-12 10:25 am   Permalink

Hard to believe we're down to the last Tiki Thirstdays of 2017. Just 6 to go until we take our annual Holiday Hiatus. Not from Tiki, just the Thursday night gatherings during the big holidays of November & December. Our last Tiki Thirstday of 2017 will be November 16th.

Until then Chef Fu and the House of Foong Lin will keep the Tiki torches lit for us, and any night now, he'll get the fireplace in the Lounge roaring for us. If you are in the DC area, or are passing through, our weekly gathering of the local Ohana would love for you to drop by for a great Mai Tai and even better company.

For dates, address, and more details of this weeks Tiki Thirstday, go to the
FIRST post of this thread.

Aloha!
Dr. Coruba

Dr. Coruba
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-10-11 10:41 am   Permalink

Apologies for letting way too much time go by since the last post! Some catching up is in order.

House of Foong Lin, whose cocktail DNA goes back to the long closed DC Trader Vic's, has always been a place to get a decent Mai Tai and a host of other Tiki classics (I like the HoFL Navy Grog better than the Trader Vic's version). And some really good Chinese food. The only thing stopping them from being a first rate Tiki bar was the decor. Until recently.

Earlier this year, Chef Fu green lighted a fairly extensive Tiki makeover of the bar and lounge. Not being able to source a local contractor with bamboo/thatch/matting experience, he tapped into our local Tiki community and found someone who agreed to tackle the makeover. This Tikiphile along with his family and joined by other Tiki friends, worked weekends and spare evenings for over 6 months to do a damn fine job of Tiki-fication.

Before:

And After:

Though obviously and throughly biased, I think this makeover vaults HoFL into being THE best Tiki bar in DC.
To be fair, there ARE spots which are doing the craft cocktail approach to Tiki drinks. And if the pedigree of absolutely everything in your glass right down to the artisanal ice is paramount to you, other bars may be to your more to you liking. But for me Tiki is far more than just what I sip. I want the bamboo, thatch, matting, and Exotica music too. A really good Tiki bar experience is more than a sip, it is escape. Something you can get lost in, if only for a little while.

What also sets House of Foong Lin apart (and imo above the others in DC) are the local Tiki people that support it. Not since the long closed Honolulu has any other DC Tiki bar managed to inspire that feeling of Ohana in its regulars. For many of us it isn't just going out to a restaurant, but a meeting place, our Tiki version of Cheers.

And though HoFL is now fully Tiki 7 days a week, Tiki Thirstday still meets EVERY Thursday night as DC's longest running Tiki social. Drop on in, you'll be glad you did.

For dates, address, and more details of this weeks Tiki Thirstday, go to the
FIRST post of this thread.

Aloha!
Dr. Coruba
[/quote]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation