FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Kiki's Tiki Village
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Kiki's Tiki Village
muskrat
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 13 days ago; 9:04 pm   Permalink

next up was sealing all the wood.

4 coats of gloss polyurethane then it was time to get building.

View Profile of muskrat Send a personal message to muskrat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
muskrat
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 12 days ago; 10:39 pm   Permalink

with all the wood carved, burned and sealed, it was time to start building.
i got the uprights up then my buddy rob showed up to help me get the 16' 4x8 up in the air.
once that was done the stringers started going up and pretty soon we had the makings of a cover.

with the basic frame in place it was time to build the corner supports and the gutter.

View Profile of muskrat Send a personal message to muskrat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
muskrat
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 12 days ago; 11:18 pm   Permalink

next up was building the gutters. i wanted bamboo gutters but the cost was prohibitive and they would need to be replaced more often than i'd like so i made some from 5" half round sheet metal gutters. i used epoxy to make nodes and used a paint process i came up with to make them look the business.

i did a step by step tutorial on how to make these. you can see it here
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=47292&forum=18&23

[ This Message was edited by: muskrat 2014-07-12 09:32 ]

muskrat
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 11 days ago; 09:30 am   Permalink

now it was time to install the gutters.

all it needs now is a rain chain.

now to put a roof on it.

muskrat
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 11 days ago; 09:34 am   Permalink

next up was wrapping the hardware with manila rope to make it look like it had been lashed.
i wrapped the ends of the rope with electrical tape then used finish nails to attach lengths that went over the top and down the other side.

once that was done i wrapped around the uprights.

with the massive hardware i used to attach the 4x4's to the 4x8's, corner braces weren't necessary but i had an idea and i think it panned out.

ok, now we can put a roof on it.

SufferinSimon
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 11 days ago; 11:15 am   Permalink

I love the whole project so far, but the "bamboo" gutters look amazing!

Thanks for documenting the process and keep the pics coming.

View Profile of SufferinSimon Send a personal message to SufferinSimon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 11 days ago; 4:49 pm   Permalink

AWESOME construction...just love it!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 11 days ago; 8:29 pm   Permalink

Really coming together nicely!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MissClaireTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 10 days ago; 1:21 pm   Permalink

The progress you've made is very impressive. Thank you for posting before and after pictures of the beam designs, i'm motivated to try making my own.

View Profile of MissClaireTiki Send a personal message to MissClaireTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Greg_D_R
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 9 days ago; 09:23 am   Permalink

Excellent design and fab skills on display here. I feel the need... the need to steal!

View Profile of Greg_D_R Send a personal message to Greg_D_R      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 9 days ago; 1:28 pm   Permalink

Looks GREAT!

Thanks for sharing your efforts.

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
forgotten tikiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 9 days ago; 2:25 pm   Permalink

This is pretty rad!!!! Like those routing skills. Those war club supports are a great idea. I'm digging your style. Can't wait to see the finished product.

View Profile of forgotten tikiman Send a personal message to forgotten tikiman  Email forgotten tikiman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
muskrat
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 8 days ago; 12:07 am   Permalink

thanks to all for the kudos.
feel free to steal whatever you see, that's why i'm posting it.

before i move on to the roof i thought i'd share the story of how we came up with the name, as this is about the time during the build we solidified it.

we had been tossing around a few names but only one of them was sticking.
as a young boy, if there was a special occasion the family spent it at Albert's Tiki Village in sacramento.

it was my favorite place and introduced me to exotic drinks in fancy mugs (shirley temple with an umbrella).
i wanted the name to be an homage to my favorite tiki bar and as my mom calls me kiki (something i hated and tried to hide most of my life) this seemed like the right name. mrs. muskrat wasn't convinced but then wendy "danlovestikis" cevola introduced the sacramento crawl mug for 2014 and it was sealed.

we contacted wendy and told her about our bar and asked if we could commission her to make one mug with our name and script instead of albert's.

we went to meet wendy and dan and got the grand tour of their collection (it is most impressive) and bought a coral reef mug while we were there. wendy agreed and here's the beginnings of our very own mug.

wendy's work amazes me and it was her mug that solidified the name choice for our bar.

thanks wendy.

tomorrow...the roof.

jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 8 days ago; 10:50 am   Permalink

Awesome build. Looking forward to more!

Please share your bamboo painting for your eves trough...looks great!

View Profile of jimsflies Send a personal message to jimsflies  Goto the website of jimsflies     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
muskrat
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 8 days ago; 9:49 pm   Permalink

thanks jimsflies.
ask and ye shall receive:

i did a step by step tutorial on how to make the faux bamboo gutters. you can see it here
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=47292&forum=18&23

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation