FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Kiki's Tiki Village
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Kiki's Tiki Village
muskrat
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-07-15 10:10 pm   Permalink

now...on to the roof.

i decided to use corrugated tin for ease of installation, low cost and the sound it makes in the rain.

i painted all the tin brown on one side in preparation for the install.

i had already carved, burned and sealed the cross supports so they were ready to go up.

while the paint was drying on the tin, i started to unroll reed fencing across the beams, stapling as i went.

then i would put up a piece of the tin roofing and fasten it down.

repeated this 7 more times and this is what we ended up with.

this completed the first major portion of the build.

we moved the furniture from under the old patio cover to the new and set up the temporary lounge.

next up, rebuild the other patio cover.

View Profile of muskrat Send a personal message to muskrat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ghostsoldier
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-07-16 07:21 am   Permalink

Awesome work, Muskrat...you are indeed skilled.

Although I'm new here, a tiki bar is the next item on my Honey-Do home renovation list (after my wife's kitchen remodel, lol)...you have given me tons of inspiration.

Thanks for sharing!

Rob

View Profile of Ghostsoldier Send a personal message to Ghostsoldier  Email Ghostsoldier     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-16 09:28 am   Permalink

Looks awesome- just got caught up on the thread. Love the router work and especially the darker/ Witcoesque treatment.

Though not traditional, we play bocce on the beach here in San Diego, and I've seen friends build similar set-ups at home. Sand is cheaper than other fills (I think). Years ago we would back and forth along the beach, throwing ahead of us. A bit non-traditional, but was always a fun time.

Look forward to seeing more!

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Keaka-tiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-07-17 6:41 pm   Permalink

Muskrat,
You are amazingly talented and I'm adding myself to the list of folks siphoning off your creativity! I'm up here in Washington and have been battling how to do a decent gutter system for a long time. Your set up is GREAT. You have also inspired me to try some routing and wood burning of my own. I love the witco style you ended up with. My main question is how did you go from burned to beautiful like that? My immediate thought was a wire brush but I figured I'd ask!

Jack

[ This Message was edited by: Keaka-tiki 2014-07-17 18:42 ]

View Profile of Keaka-tiki Send a personal message to Keaka-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-18 9:32 pm   Permalink

Wow you are so good at this. Love all the designs. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-18 9:33 pm   Permalink

Pretty damn cool.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
muskrat
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-07-18 9:35 pm   Permalink

i must say, i'm happy to be inspiring others and humbled by the praise.

@keaka-tiki...i tried a wire brush but didn't care for the results. next i tried a small stiff bristled whisk broom, which worked great but was very labor intensive.
i finally ended up with a handled stiff bristled cleaning brush which worked great and got the job done about 5 times quicker, not to mention it was much easier on my wrist.
i got this one at home depot but i imagine you can get them anywhere.

please be sure to wear safety glasses and a mask when brushing the burnt wood. it's nasty stuff.

next up, tearing down the original patio cover to start anew.

View Profile of muskrat Send a personal message to muskrat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
muskrat
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-07-19 12:03 am   Permalink

next up was dismantling the original patio cover.

once that was done the first order of business was to scrape the old peeling paint and repaint in the new color.
once that was done i installed the new stringer to the wall.
we went from 2x4 to 2x6 for a sturdier cover. we also raised it 4 inches in the back to match the roof line of the other cover (though at a different height) and for a little more headroom.

after that the poles and beam went up followed by the joists.
this went quick and no one was around to photograph it so you'll just hafta imagine what it looked like.
next up was another peice of faux bamboo gutter and corrugated tin roofing.
we decided not to route any of the wood on this side but give it a deeper burn. also no reed roofing, just painted brown.

next up was building 2 walls to enclose the end of the patio.

VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-19 6:49 pm   Permalink

"How to" pictures are great, carry on..........

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-20 06:26 am   Permalink

I'm wondering on your bamboo eves trough, does that empty into a "bamboo" downspout?

Ceiling looks fantastic. Did you paint the topside of your tin roof?

View Profile of jimsflies Send a personal message to jimsflies  Goto the website of jimsflies     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
muskrat
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-07-20 10:53 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-07-20 06:26, jimsflies wrote:
I'm wondering on your bamboo eves trough, does that empty into a "bamboo" downspout?

Ceiling looks fantastic. Did you paint the topside of your tin roof?

the gutter on the taller cover empties into the gutter on the lower cover.
the lower gutter empties via a rain chain. (pix to come)

i sealed all the seams and screws on the topside of the roof but haven't got it painted yet.
i'll be painting it with Kool Seal heat reflective paint in the hopes of dropping the temp under the cover by a few degrees.
we haven't had to much problem with heat because we don't spend much time at the bar during the heat of the day, usually wait til the sun's on it's way down.

muskrat
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-07-23 12:38 am   Permalink

with the 2nd patio structure done i realized that the lower height posed an issue with the tail design i had on the joists.
they we're too low and too pointy.
i made a few marks with chalk and came up with a quick fix and ended up trimming the bottom off of the tails leaving an upward point.
this gave about 3 inches of head room and eliminated a dangerous situation.
i snapped this last night as the sun was going down (no filter, just a beautiful sunset)

with that issue taken care of i began to frame out the walls.
again i was busy building and didn't get many photos.
i framed out the walls then put up siding.

there are 3 wall sections, the main wall with 2 windows, a small kick-out on the outside and a 3 foot section extending from the house out to the corner.

with the walls framed and the siding in place i started on the opening which has large slat plantation shutters.

once they we're test fitted i disassembled them then back to burning, scrapping and sealing.

these are fully functioning shutters which can let the breeze through, let light in or keep the glare out as well as keeping the elements at bay.
here's a link to the company that makes the hardware.

http://www.flexfence.com/theHardware/index.shtml

you use standard 1x6 fence boards (or whatever wood you choose in those dimensions) fairly straight forward install.

next up finishing off the interior walls.

Longboard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-23 07:33 am   Permalink

Muskrat,

Wow, those slat plantation shutters are bad ass.

I'm going to use those in my build.

Thanks for sharing!

-Longboard

View Profile of Longboard Send a personal message to Longboard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
muskrat
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-07-24 3:47 pm   Permalink

glad ya like them.

with the boards all burned and sealed it was time to reassemble the shutters. with that done we began to finish the inside walls with cedar siding, bamboo and dark baka mat.

we had changed our minds completely about how the layout was goin to go and decided to keep the lounge on the other side and put the bar under the 2nd, lower cover as it would feel more intimate.

this necessitated a redesign of the bar so i got to work drawing up new plans.
in the meantime i got the electricity wired for where the bar would now reside.

i had been on the lookout for bar stools and came across a great deal. a local restaurant was remodeling and i got 5 bar stools for $25...SCORE!!!

these stools are Red the dog approved.

they have just the right lived in feel that will work with the look i'm going for at the bar.

next up, starting the bar build (it's about time...)

Pele Paul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-25 12:43 pm   Permalink

that is some series burning work, first time Ive seen the huge BBQ size gas tank!! Im sure your neighbors think they live next door to a forest fire!!! great work, always love your update photos!!!
paul

View Profile of Pele Paul Send a personal message to Pele Paul  Email Pele Paul     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation