FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Rise and Fall of Tiki feature in Wired magazine
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Rise and Fall of Tiki feature in Wired magazine
Quinntiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-07-16 08:25 am   Permalink

Joseph Flaherty of Wired magazine wrote this review of Sven Kristen's new book, Tiki Pop. The article is called "The Bizarre Rise and Fall of the Tiki Bar in American Culture."

http://wrd.cm/1wv3TdQ

A fun little feature, but I tweeted to the author to take issue with his line "The tiki spirit lives on in backyards and backwaters..." Makes our tiki movement sound like a Louisiana barbeque!

View Profile of Quinntiki Send a personal message to Quinntiki  Email Quinntiki Goto the website of Quinntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-16 08:49 am   Permalink

Nice little article, but as we've come to expect, he forgivably gets several little details (important only to us fanatics!) wrong. But I chuckled, imagining some Tiki Centralites' blood pressure spiking, as they read this line, about Don the Beachcomber:

"Born Ernest Raymond Beaumont Gantt, this proto-Jimmy Buffet left his Texas home in 1926, aged nineteen years, to begin a career as a bootlegger before a detour led him to explore Asia."

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-16 09:05 am   Permalink

How insulting!!!

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-16 09:28 am   Permalink

Thanks for the heads up!

Ha, I just copied the "proto-Jimmy Buffet" quote to paste in here - that IS kinda an "Ouch!" moment

And the "backyards and backwaters.." thing is typical for us writers trying to have matching wordplay in there, taking so-called "poetic license".

The main thing is that it gives Tiki an exposure on WIRED, and that it is an intelligent take on it. There are ALWAYS things wrong to us who know it all, one has to accept the faults for the greater good.

I had an issue with the Collector's Weekly headline of:
"Tiki Hangover: Unearthing the False Idols of America's South Seas Fantasy"
…which is all smart concept but comes across as somewhat negative, but hey, the article was good, AND it got linked on Boing Boing, so who's crying.

I just edited the translation of the article that Academie Francaise member Marc Lambron wrote for "Le Point"magazine about Tiki and me, for the TASCHEN catalog, and it is full of subjective interpretations and puts words into my mouth I never said - but it is really funny, even dark, and an outrageous take on the subject. Being German, I am all about being correct about the details, but it was really refreshing hearing a creative, intelligent voice write about it - even if it was some hyperbole

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2014-07-16 09:29 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-16 12:25 pm   Permalink

My word......

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EPCOTExplorer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-16 2:16 pm   Permalink

Not a bad little article, though that one line is a killer.

Kinda funny- I wrote a very similar one to it a few months ago. Same "flow" to it and everything.

View Profile of EPCOTExplorer Send a personal message to EPCOTExplorer  Goto the website of EPCOTExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-16 2:50 pm   Permalink

Forget the Buffet line, the text and a caption in the slideshow crediting Don the Beachcomber as the inventor of the Mai Tai is sure to cause TCer outrage from coast to coast!

Fun article though, thanks for posting.

[ This Message was edited by: Sunny&Rummy 2014-07-16 14:57 ]

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoCal Savage
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-16 4:23 pm   Permalink

Thanks for posting. Nice to see Bigbro and Tiki in general getting exposure in a smart magazine like Wired. The author should read Tiki modern to get a better understanding of the the style developing along side Mid Century mod and how the two (primitivism and modernism) actually have things in common. And yeah the Jimmy Buffet line is pretty awful...

View Profile of SoCal Savage Send a personal message to SoCal Savage      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LostIsland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-16 6:13 pm   Permalink

I had to jump in and give my 2 cents... I have no problem with folks digging or not digging Tiki, but they should at least get their facts straight....

View Profile of LostIsland Send a personal message to LostIsland  Goto the website of LostIsland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-16 6:29 pm   Permalink

Meh. Another poorly researched, mostly-inaccurate article for PolyPop noobs that does more to reveal the smug biases of the author than actually delve into the history of Tiki. At least the word "Tacky" doesn't appear anywhere in juxtaposition with "Tiki", so it's got that going for it.

I keep hoping that someday, someone will write an article that takes an entirely different slant on the topic. Maybe some enterprising reporter will dig up the skinny on how Tiki was made cool again by the Flipside Magazine crew hanging out at the Tiki-Ti back in the early '80s, Boyd Rice playing Exotica over the P.A. before his Industrial Noise concerts, and Goths eating ribs and drinking Scorpions at Kelbos.

Nah, it'll never happen...

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoCal Savage
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-16 7:03 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-07-16 18:29, MrBaliHai wrote:

I keep hoping that someday, someone will write an article that takes an entirely different slant on the topic. Maybe some enterprising reporter will dig up the skinny on how Tiki was made cool again by the Flipside Magazine crew hanging out at the Tiki-Ti back in the early '80s, Boyd Rice playing Exotica over the P.A. before his Industrial Noise concerts, and Goths eating ribs and drinking Scorpions at Kelbos.

I'd read that frickin article!!

View Profile of SoCal Savage Send a personal message to SoCal Savage      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-16 8:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-07-16 18:29, MrBaliHai wrote:
Meh. Another poorly researched, mostly-inaccurate article for PolyPop noobs that does more to reveal the smug biases of the author than actually delve into the history of Tiki. At least the word "Tacky" doesn't appear anywhere in juxtaposition with "Tiki", so it's got that going for it.

Were you one of those guys? I remember talking to some old punks & rock-n-rollers
at the Ti back in the 80s I would bring band friends in all the time, like Demolition Gore Galore, Motorcycle Boy
"Fag" (Montana Dave's band named Fag FYI...) Zodiac Mindwarp & Ian Astbury to name a few
split my time between the Ti, Powerhouse, Boardner's & Zatar's mostly.

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2014-07-16 22:18 ]

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-16 10:07 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-07-16 09:28, bigbrotiki wrote:

I had an issue with the Collector's Weekly headline of:
"Tiki Hangover: Unearthing the False Idols of America's South Seas Fantasy"
…which is all smart concept but comes across as somewhat negative, but hey, the article was good, AND it got linked on Boing Boing, so who's crying.

Here is that Collector's weekly article for those who missed it.
http://www.collectorsweekly.com/articles/tiki-hangover/

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-17 03:56 am   Permalink

[quote]
On 2014-07-16 20:25, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Quote:

Were you one of those guys?

I moved out of L.A. in '79, but I went to highschool with the original Flipside crew prior to that, and occasional took pictures for the magazine. A few years ago, I was surprised to run across a bunch of photos, at Michele Flipside's old website, of X-8, Al, and Pooch at the Ti. When I asked X-8 about it, he told me they frequently hung out there with bands. Also, I ran into Boyd Rice at Tiki Boyd's in Denver, shortly before he pulled the plug on them, and we had a long discussion about how he kickstarted the Exotica revival at NON shows.

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-17 04:07 am   Permalink

Thanks MrBaliHai, I am pretty sure I had drinks with those guys on a few occasions
it was just before the hair bands took over Hollywood, then things got stupid.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation