FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Rise and Fall of Tiki feature in Wired magazine
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Rise and Fall of Tiki feature in Wired magazine
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-17 06:03 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-07-17 04:07, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Thanks MrBaliHai, I am pretty sure I had drinks with those guys on a few occasions
it was just before the hair bands took over Hollywood, then things got stupid.

If you had any interactions with the LA Punk in-crowd, you definitely would've run into the Flipside crew at some point.

I met up with Alice Bag and Michele Flipside at the Ti back in 2005. X-8 and Pooch were invited also, but they were no-shows (there's still some bad blood there). Al has gone undercover since the magazine folded, so we weren't able to contact him. We had a pretty good time taking a trip down Old Punk Memory Lane. The Bum and Humu were there that night as well.

As for the Goth-Kelbo connection, X-8 helped launch that scene at Harry's Bar, so I suspect that his interest in Tiki (at least the cocktail part of it) appealed to them, in some twisted way, as the antithesis of their dark fetishes.

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Quinntiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-07-17 09:24 am   Permalink

Can you fill me in on why everyone is groaning over the Jimmy Buffet line? I don't think I know the stereotype...

Thanks for posting the Collector's Weekly article. Another interesting read!

View Profile of Quinntiki Send a personal message to Quinntiki  Email Quinntiki Goto the website of Quinntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-17 10:30 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-07-17 09:24, Quinntiki wrote:
Can you fill me in on why everyone is groaning over the Jimmy Buffet line? I don't think I know the stereotype...

A lot of TC folks feel that Buffet has misappropriated, bastardized, and cheapened the Tiki culture that Don the Beachcomber essentially created.

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-17 11:10 am   Permalink

I agree with that. The Jimmy Buffett vibe plays hard and fast with anything tropical. And it does so without regard for the deeper aspects of tiki and tropical and Polynesian Pop. The Jimmy Buffett vibe has superficiality as its cornerstone - music, partying hard, drinking, etc.

Tiki, on the other hand, is centered around fake palm trees, fake cocktails which Polynesians didn't have in the old days, and it has bastardized Chinese food and adopted it as its own. Then there's exotica music, partying hard in tiki bars, drinking, etc.

Hey, wait, what was I trying to say? Oh crap, never mind...

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LostIsland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-17 12:19 pm   Permalink

I don't blame Jimmy Buffet so much as Jimmy Buffet fans that can't understand that there is a distinct difference between Tiki and simply throwing anything and everything even remotely tropical together and calling it soup.

They also don't understand that it's somewhat insulting to Tiki purists to see such a rich culture cheapened by an endless onslaught of ugly, cheap, brightly colored, party store garbage that too often tends to go right along with parrothead decor. If that's what you're into than cool, but understand that it is very distinctly different from that which we call Tiki.

View Profile of LostIsland Send a personal message to LostIsland  Goto the website of LostIsland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-17 12:26 pm   Permalink

Very good points. Few of the general population know what "real tiki" is, and they remain vulnerable to the Buffetization of tiki and anything tropical. So there is our mission - to help continue to spread the understanding and knowledge and joy of what we know as "tiki."

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-17 12:38 pm   Permalink

This is a particularly difficult task in Florida where any structure with a thatch roof is generally accepted as a "Tiki Bar" despite the complete lack of any Tikis whatsoever.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-17 12:45 pm   Permalink

True. I love walking into places which advertise "tiki bar" and asking the bartenders where their tiki is. When they tell me they don't have one, or if I look around and don't see any, I get to have a bit of fun with them.

I was surprised once at the Big Bamboo Lounge in Kissimmee when I asked that question. The bartender pointed quickly to a small tiki standing next to the cash register. I laughed out loud because I was so surprised.

LostIsland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-17 1:07 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-07-17 12:45, AceExplorer wrote:
I was surprised once at the Big Bamboo Lounge in Kissimmee when I asked that question. The bartender pointed quickly to a small tiki standing next to the cash register. I laughed out loud because I was so surprised.

That's awesome! Something tells me they got asked before, and said "screw it we're buying one..."

View Profile of LostIsland Send a personal message to LostIsland  Goto the website of LostIsland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Quinntiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-07-17 1:23 pm   Permalink

I get the Jimmy Buffett thing now. I just went to his website and found this collection of slightly offensive and anti-tiki tropical swag: www.margaritavillecaribbean.com/store/. Blech.

View Profile of Quinntiki Send a personal message to Quinntiki  Email Quinntiki Goto the website of Quinntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-17 2:01 pm   Permalink

It is a highly complicated, Yet completely opposite of a nuanced phenomenon
Unambiguous even, you might say (you would definitely say that!)
so I will try to explain:

Jimmy Buffett pretend Tiki:
Yacht rock loving, Cheap beer swilling, Ugly Hawaiian Shirt wearing (not "cool" ugly, just plain ugly!)
Patchouli smelling stoner hippy, Slushy dispensed Margarita guzzling, Party City Tiki mother fuckers!

This is BAD! M'kay

And then you have Real Tiki:

Vintage inspired, Mid Century influenced love of Polynesian Pop, Great Cocktails, Great Music
Tikis, real if they fall on you, you could die, Tikis! The good Hawaiian shirts (I mean The good ones!)
So basically your Mom & Dad's version of Tiki, Granny & Pop Pop's version if you be a youngin....

This is GOOD! M'kay

So there you have it.......

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2014-07-17 14:02 ]

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-17 5:32 pm   Permalink

I wouldn't even call Jimmy Buffet "Pretend Tiki", it's just generic tropical escapism of the post-Tiki period:

Quote:

On 2003-12-18 20:06, bigbrotiki wrote:
Knowingly or not, J.B. contributed to the decline of Tiki culture, allow me to quote the Book of Tiki, page 52:

"In the 70’s, the thus segregated Polynesian style was watered down further through a certain “Jimmy Buffet-ization”, the introduction of a generic tropical island theme with no definite identity. Be it the Carribean, Mexico, or Polynesia, everywhere was “Margharita-ville”. The popular T.V. show “Fantasy Island” typified this new p.c. detachment from cultural complicity, creating a world of white wicker colonial style decor mixed with exotic plants.
The fern bar replaced the Tiki bar."

It's just two different styles, and we like to keep'em apart. Tiki to us has style, while Buffet represents un-style.

Later, AFTER the Tiki Revival got going, he jumped on the band wagon with concepts like this:

…which inspired such classics of Tiki art as this:

Now, if you don't see anything wrong with these Tikis - Jimmy Buffet is your man!

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2014-07-17 17:33 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-17 9:52 pm   Permalink

Hurts my EYES!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-18 10:08 am   Permalink

I'm not a Parrot head, but it's funny how you see on TC some guy go "check out my new tiki"
and ya see some Indonesian mask looking at you.
I find that just as ugly, but people here for the most part give that a pass.
Now don't get me wrong I'm not into the buffet style myself.

Then you go to some tiki events and bam the same goofy, loud, drunk Parrot heads everybody hates
are at this tiki event but they got better shirts on and are tiki heads. (Maybe it's an Ohio thing)

Even had a guy from TC who PMed me to say he got a Steve Crane tiki mug for FIVE BUCKS! "That's Right FIVE bucks!" he wrote.
Well I had to see what he got and looked it up on eBay, It was a PARTY CITY mug that the listing said was
a Steve Crane tiki mug, the thing is this guy did not look at it and go "wow that's ugly"
So because TC said this was the mug to have, he had to have it.

I too like the old school more low key version of tiki myself.
But that is getting hard to find.
Getting old I guess.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LostIsland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-18 10:34 am   Permalink

I have noticed, and am a little guilty of that myself (there are a couple Indonesian items in my lounge). I suppose it's treated differently because there still seems to be at least a little cultural authenticity there, even if it isn't technically Tiki. The Buffet-esque type stuff isn't really authentic to anything. It's just poorly conceived designs intended to hawk margaritas and ugly, over priced tchotchkes.

Interesting about the alleged Steve Crane mug. If often seems there can be many approaches to Tiki appreciation. Some seem almost institutional. Like those that say I should like Tiki mugs enough to pay hundreds of dollars for one. Honestly, mugs are cool, some are awesome. I just can't justify spending anywhere close to that much on one. I like Tiki pendants and Hawaiian shirts, but don't feel the need to don it like a uniform. I also appreciate the role many designs have played in the history of Poly pop. Yet I still can't bring myself to like Mr Bali Hai or Tiki Bob.

Don't get me wrong, I think folks should do their thing, whatever it is, just so long as it doesn't infringe on others. It just seems sometimes that "thing" is more of a collective aesthetic and less of an individual expression of love or appreciation for Tiki culture.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation