FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Need help renovating home tiki bar!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Need help renovating home tiki bar!
freestylpolaris
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-07-18 12:04 pm   Permalink

If I got two years before having to apply another coat I would be happy

Sorry for the continued questions (just want to do this right hopefully!) Do you think I could use spar varnish instead of that amber shellac and get similar results? According to the internet spar varnish is more resistant to outdoors than shellac and 2x as cheap. I also read spar varnish also acts as it's own protective coat which eliminates the need for a sealant and generally gives off an amber color when applied.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Varathane-1-qt-Clear-Semi-Gloss-Exterior-Spar-Varnish-2-Pack-266321/203368887

Lastly, how many quarts do you think I would need for one layer? I would apply more than one layer just curious as to what the pricing would be for one. There are a few inside shelves in addition to what you see. I will probably leave the roof as is.

Thanks a ton for all of your advice so far. Really appreciate it.

[ This Message was edited by: freestylpolaris 2014-07-18 12:08 ]

[ This Message was edited by: freestylpolaris 2014-07-18 12:15 ]

[ This Message was edited by: freestylpolaris 2014-07-18 12:16 ]

[ This Message was edited by: freestylpolaris 2014-07-18 12:28 ]

View Profile of freestylpolaris Send a personal message to freestylpolaris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-18 1:18 pm   Permalink

I can't tell you first hand as I don't use that product.
Ask at the store you buy from.
Start with one quart but I bet it will be two.

I use shellac because that's what they used way back when.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freestylpolaris
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-07-18 1:34 pm   Permalink

Alright! So the plan is going to be:

1) Sand
2) Wash
3) Heat treat
4) Shellot then spar varnish OR just spar varnish if that will accomplish the amber color I want while also covering the blemishes.

Although, I am hoping the sanding and washing will remove some of the blemishes and get it back to a uniform state so that I do not have to use shellot at all and when I apply the spar varnish there aren't random blotches of gray.

[ This Message was edited by: freestylpolaris 2014-07-18 13:46 ]

[ This Message was edited by: freestylpolaris 2014-07-18 13:49 ]

View Profile of freestylpolaris Send a personal message to freestylpolaris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
muskrat
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-07-18 4:54 pm   Permalink

i didn't like the way the varathane spar finish came out with brush application, very bubbly.
i had no problems with min-wax's polyurathane sealants.
this one might be the ticket for the uneven surfaces you're dealing with-
http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/clear-protective-finishes/wipe-ons/minwax-water-based-wipe-on-poly

View Profile of muskrat Send a personal message to muskrat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freestylpolaris
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-07-18 5:02 pm   Permalink

@muskrat do you suggest throwing that on over the shellot then? If so how many coats of each do you recommend?

The product you sent me is a clear coating so I don't think it would provide any color coverage to spruce this up.

muskrat
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-07-18 5:14 pm   Permalink

yep, final coat over whatever you use to color it.
if it's going to be outside, they recommend 4 coats.
i used the min-wax waterbased polyurathane on all the wood in my build except for the actual bar which got two coats of the wipe on, but it's under a cover out of the weather.

View Profile of muskrat Send a personal message to muskrat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-18 6:01 pm   Permalink

If you decide on the min-wax, be sure to go with the "Outside" labeled version.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freestylpolaris
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-07-18 6:32 pm   Permalink

Awesome everyone. Thank you SO MUCH for all of your help. I had absolutely no idea where to start a day ago and now feel I have a solid game-plan in motion now.

(Revised)

1) Clean
2) Sand
3) 4 coats of amber shellot. 1 finishing coat of outdoor min-wax waterbased polyurathane.

If anyone else has any comments to add please do! Any additional help, tips, recommendations are welcome!

& @ Muskrat how long has your bar been outside for and have you had to touch it up yearly? If so how many coats did you use to touch it up?

[ This Message was edited by: freestylpolaris 2014-07-18 18:33 ]

VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-18 7:14 pm   Permalink

I also agree that you have to be careful when applying the shellac with a brush as you can get a lot of bubbles. Slow and even strokes are helpful. I'll bet your bar will turn out real nice based on all the help everyone gave here...is TC awesome or what!!!!

Have fun with your project.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-18 8:38 pm   Permalink

"3) 4 coats of amber shellot. 1 finishing coat of outdoor min-wax waterbased polyurathane."
I think it's one coat of shellac and 4 coats of outdoor min-wax waterbased polyurathane.
4 coats of amber shellac would be dark dark brown.

And muskrat where do you live?

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freestylpolaris
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-07-18 9:09 pm   Permalink

Ah. Yeah. That does make more sense. Complete newbie here so did not pick up on that. Could you verify muskrat? I'm also interested to know what state you live in too if you can sustain an outside bar for a long period I'd guess you are somewhere dry maybe.

muskrat
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-07-18 9:18 pm   Permalink

reverse that...1 (maybe 2) coats of shellac, 4 coats of outdoor polyurethane sealant.

i just finished my bar recently but i have used the min-wax on other projects with great success. some pieces i have have been outdoors for several years with very little sign of wear. when it comes time, a light sanding and re-coat with one or two coats should do.

freestylpolaris
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-07-18 9:45 pm   Permalink

What state are you from though?

muskrat
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-07-18 10:02 pm   Permalink

i'm from sacramento, california.
not alotta rain this year but a whole lotta sun.
you can see some of the wood in my build thread-

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=47888&forum=20&36

[ This Message was edited by: muskrat 2014-07-18 22:03 ]

dtel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-19 10:41 pm   Permalink

To give you an idea of color, the top of the bar in this pic is regular pine that's burned and painted with marine varnish Amber color, no stain.

The Bamboo looking stuff is white PVC with 2 coats of amber shellac.

Can you get that varnish in amber color ?

You asked about how far a quart would cover with the varnish, I thinned it about 50% with mineral sprits and a quart would easily cover it maby more than once. I would thin it if I were you, it goes on easier and thinned gives you a better chance to get it spread even, because it dries fast. Thinned it will also soak in better/further which will protect it better. If you get a two pack like your link you could go over it a lot until you run out and it will really be protected, the stuff is made ot be out in the sun and weather so the more it soaks in the better.

I think it would look great redone, it would have a nice looking color and not dried out looking.

edit; this was gloss spar varnish

top color before

And after, plus PVC with amber shellac

[ This Message was edited by: dtel 2014-07-19 22:42 ]

[ This Message was edited by: dtel 2014-07-19 22:43 ]

[ This Message was edited by: dtel 2014-07-19 22:45 ]

View Profile of dtel Send a personal message to dtel  Email dtel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation