FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Need help renovating home tiki bar!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
Need help renovating home tiki bar!
freestylpolaris
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-07-22 9:07 pm   Permalink

Great! Thanks for the continued help dtel. Made 3 stops today after work to pick up the varnish, mineral spirits, facemasks, gloves, shellot, blow torch, extra sander for my buddy, & sandpaper. Going to see tomorrow if I can salvage my brushes, rollers, paint pans, and bowl to save some $.

Will also be washing the bar and sanding if it dries quick enough. Then Torching if I have time.

Getting there.

View Profile of freestylpolaris Send a personal message to freestylpolaris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dtel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-23 12:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-07-22 21:07, freestylpolaris wrote:
Going to see tomorrow if I can salvage my brushes, rollers, paint pans, and bowl to save some $.

Will also be washing the bar and sanding if it dries quick enough. Then Torching if I have time.

Getting there.

Your going to be fine, even if you totally mess up the first coat learning just lightly sand ad re do it the next day and it will be fine.

I got a pack of those foam rollers, once the varnish is on it you can't really clean them, use a new one for each coat, there cheap. I was able to clean the brush, I just used an old glass pan we had to mix the varnish and mineral spirits, after a coat on the bar I just flipped it over and let it dry, it was hard as a rock the next day to reuse.

Get a good size container of mineral spirits, I think we got a 2 gallon, you need it to clean you hands, brushes and to use as thinner, it's usually cheaper per gallon in 2 gallon the container.

Your going to be fine, just remember it all dries fast so don't play around......you will see.

View Profile of dtel Send a personal message to dtel  Email dtel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freestylpolaris
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-08-04 07:51 am   Permalink

Got 1 out of 3 of the main panels done yesterday. Took a lot longer than I thought it would. Had to gently scrape off the old stain/paint/whatever the previous user put on there (would varnish remover work better? It is thin and plastic, some areas I can peel it right off with my hand other areas I had to scrape it off). Then sand & clean. Then apply the shellot. I had NO issues with bubbling or anything so that was a relief.

After I get the shellot on all the main panels and other posts I will apply the several coats of varnish.

Will post pics after work! Looks so much better than before.

[ This Message was edited by: freestylpolaris 2014-08-04 07:52 ]

[ This Message was edited by: freestylpolaris 2014-08-04 08:00 ]

View Profile of freestylpolaris Send a personal message to freestylpolaris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freestylpolaris
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-08-04 4:15 pm   Permalink

Before scraping, sanding, cleaning:

Afterwards + Shellac (No varnish applied yet)

This was by far the worst piece. The other two panels are in better condition. I didn't do a perfect job, it looks like I let the middle get a little more shellac than the other parts since it is darker but it looks a ton better in my opinion and will be the least visible piece, was kinda my practice piece. Plus I will only get better as I go.

Here is the piece I am working on now. Top half is scraped and sanded clean as well as cleaned. Bottom half is what I am working on throughout the week after work:

[ This Message was edited by: freestylpolaris 2014-08-04 16:17 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation